Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Modem Problems in 8.6

Modem Problems in 8.6
cblackstone
May 13, 1999, 08:48 AM

When I upgraded to 8.6, I read somewhere in the release notes that a new modem script for the internal modem in the B&W G3 was included. In 8.5.1, I consistently connected at 53k. In 8.6, though, the fastest I have connected is 48k. Has anyone else experienced this?

Josh
May 14, 1999, 02:44 PM

I too have problems with the internet now that I've updated to 8.6. I'm going back to 8.5.1 today. The slow down 8.6 is causing for me is too much.

John P
May 14, 1999, 04:17 PM

I had the same problem. I went to FreePPP 2.62 and now am getting good speed. Have a BW 400/internal and get 5-7k.
http://www.rockstar.com for FreePPP

esfrank
May 20, 1999, 09:08 PM

Initial connect speed for V.90 modems isn't necessarily the speed at which you communicate. V.34 and earlier modems set the connection speed when the modems sync'ed up. V.90 modems can change speed dynamically, so a lower initial connect speed doesn't mean that your connection will stay at that speed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules