Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Keyspan USB Card Power Msg

Keyspan USB Card Power Msg
Rudy Rugebregt
May 11, 1999, 11:39 AM

Installed 8.6 on a G3/266 desktop with a Keyspan USB Card. Upon startup I get the msg, "The USB Device "unknown device" cannot operate because it needs more power than is available." on startup. This message appears once per connected device - I have a Logitech mouse and Gravis game pad, no hub.

The workaround was to unplug devices before startup and plug them in after booting. Not great.

Joshua Rude
May 11, 1999, 02:50 PM

Keyspan said its a bug in the Apple USB drivers. They said they are working on it and a fix should be out soon.

AlexMit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 1999, 10:41 AM

Strangely enough, I have a Keyspan USB Card and all works fine under 8.6. I have a PowerTower Pro 225 and the Keyspan card has a QuickCam VC and an Agfa Snapscan 1212u attached to it. No problems from either device at this point.

Rudy Rugebregt
May 12, 1999, 12:51 PM

Looks like there's already a fix for this, although not official. It requires using ResEdit to add a resource, a fairly trivial fix. You can read it here:

<a href="http://www.maccentral.com/macos/?read=897"> http://www.maccentral.com/macos/?read=897</a>

In summary:

Download the USB SDK 1.2 from Apple.
Move the three extentions from the "Extensions-AppleBuilt" folder into your system folder.
Open the "USB Support" extention with ResEdit.
Add a new resource of type usbx.
The default id is 128, change it to 1984.
Save the changes and reboot.
Happily use all your USB devices again.

Macintosh, what a great community!

[This message has been edited by Rudy Rugebregt (edited 05-12-99).]

Joshua Rude
May 24, 1999, 10:28 PM

The fix didn't work for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules