Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > basic stamps

basic stamps
ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2000, 07:40 PM

I want to use a BASIC Stamp II to control a robot that would pan/tilt a webcam. My question is, could it be controlled from a Mac? I don't want to use any of the software that comes with it, i'll be writing the interface myself to make it web controllable. Do they use the standard ascii data over the serial port?

Also, is there any component that could easily drive the motor? I am thinking about using a transistor to drive a relay which drives the motor, is there any single component that does this?

If there are any electronics people out there please help me!

dinero68
Banned
Nov 30, 2000, 02:43 AM

I would use servos from a radio control airplane. It'd be perfect for that. Anyway, if you do build it, let me know, I want one too.

Ca$h

ibookuser2  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2000, 03:46 AM

I've read about these airplane servos and they look good. Where might I get some? How much do they cost?

Also, what about driver circuitry? From what I've read they have a voltage input and a signal input, if I connect the voltage pin to a large current supply and then connect the signal through the microcontroller directly will I be overloading it?

dinero68
Banned
Nov 30, 2000, 02:50 PM

www.towerhobbies.com

Not sure about your other questions....

Ca$h

Forum Links
Forum Rules