Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Suggestions for a MacPro 1,1?

Suggestions for a MacPro 1,1?
starman
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2013, 02:38 PM

Hi all,
Last week I put my aging MacPro 1,1 on eBay. I had a reserve of $400 on it. It didn't sell, only fetching $230 or so. I'm not sure I'd want to part with this for only $230. I think it's worth a lot more, even if it is seven years old, due to what you can do with it and its expandability. Drobos go for a lot more.
In any case, because the MacPro's video card died and I wasn't getting enough multi-video camera speed from it, I got an iMac. I've since upgraded the video card on the MacPro so it works fine now, but between the time I got the iMac and fixed the Mac Pro, I bought a My Book Thunderbolt Duo for serving media and being my Time Machine drive. It works great, and it's damn fast.
So, I don't *need* a server since I have the external Thunderbolt drive. What do some of you do with an extra Mac lying around? I don't need it as a second computer, I have a Macbook Pro. I'd like to know what some of you have done with an extra computer. Maybe I'll get some ideas. I thought about using it as a redundant backup and putting a RAID inside it. I just can't part with it for almost nothing, and I can't really find a purpose for it due to its size and power needs.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 26, 2013, 06:21 PM

The 1,1 has taken a market value hit lately because of the lack of 10.8 support, but it is a very solid computer.

I did a cheap 8-core upgrade (8x2.33) and get a Geekbench of about 12,000, and use it to transcode video in Handbrake. I also slammed in some generic, non-Apple heat sink RAM, and don't have any temperature issues, even with a crapload of extra drives in it.

Home Server, iPhoto, iTunes. Power draw is atrocious, but hey, don't leave it on 24 hours a day.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2013, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I just realized that I can use it as a Plex server. That might not be a bad idea.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Aug 26, 2013, 07:36 PM

Hey, no problem. We've got some recent reviews if you go looking about funky drive brackets and PCI-E cards that work in the 1,1 and 3,1 if you want to get froggy.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 27, 2013, 06:19 PM

It's been my experience that items with a reserve attract fewer bidders then often don't sell. I either sell with no reserve and take whatever I get or make it BIN with Best Offer, that's gotten me pretty good results.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2013, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's been my experience that items with a reserve attract fewer bidders then often don't sell. I either sell with no reserve and take whatever I get or make it BIN with Best Offer, that's gotten me pretty good results.
I like to sell things on eBay with a starting price of $0.99. To some, it may seem crazy. But selling it this way will attract anyone who might be interested in your Mac, and doing it this way should help ensure that there are bidding wars finishing at whatever the going price is for your Mac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules