Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 17" or 15" LCD for widescreen movies?

17" or 15" LCD for widescreen movies?
satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2001, 12:16 PM

Given the 15" screen ratio is closer to 16:9 ratio, is it better to watch widescreen format movies than say the 17"LCD?
Or does the extra pixels on the 17" LCD negate that issue?

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 02:32 PM

The 17' will have a bigger picture. Only the 22' has a 16:9 ratio.
You might want to spend $200 for a good DVD player for your TV so you don't have to spend $1500 for a bigger LCD and sit infront of your computer to watch DVD's.

------------------

"I thought they smelt bad on the outside."

saltines17
Senior User
May 29, 2001, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Han's Hands on Leia:
Only the 22' has a 16:9 ratio.
I really just have to pitch in here and say that the 22" does NOT have *exactly* a 16:9 ratio. It has a 16:10.24 ratio
Now, about the original question...

Originally posted by satchmo:
Given the 15" screen ratio is closer to 16:9 ratio, is it better to watch widescreen format movies than say the 17"LCD?
Huh? Don't the 15" and 17" have the same aspect ratio?

------------------
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man how to fish and he will be rammed by a nuclear submarine." - Japanese proverb�

satchmo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2001, 03:39 PM

I think the 15" is 768 x 1024
while the 17" is 1024 x 1280 making it slightly taller

saltines17
Senior User
May 29, 2001, 05:18 PM

I think the 15" is 768 x 1024
while the 17" is 1024 x 1280 making it slightly taller
Oh, I guess that's true� but I really don't think it's noticeable� however, I'd always recommend the larger display

------------------
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man how to fish and he will be rammed by a nuclear submarine." - Japanese proverb�

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2001, 07:32 PM

Seems like you might as well get the bigger display if you can afford it. The Apple DVD player offers various screen viewing options (Normal, Full Screen, etc.) and I expect that anything that doesn't conform to the screen ratio will just show up as black bars. Besides, not all DVDs are in widescreen format.

Whoever said that you shouldn't spend $1500 on an LCD is off-base - the 15" is now only $600 (?) and the 17" is only $1000 (I believe). If you want an LCD monitor, get one - you won't regret it, whether it's for watching DVDs or not.

I have both a DVD player for my TV surround system, and on my Cube (w/ 15" LCD display). While the surround system is certainly great for special effects and music, I enjoy playing DVDs on my Cube as well. The picture is sharper than my Trinitron's, I can sit closer to it, and I can do other work if I want.

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
May 29, 2001, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:

Whoever said that you shouldn't spend $1500 on an LCD is off-base - the 15" is now only $600 (?) and the 17" is only $1000 (I believe). If you want an LCD monitor, get one - you won't regret it, whether it's for watching DVDs or not.
Nope, don't think I was "off-base". You might have noticed that the guy asking the question is from Canada. The cost of the 17' LCD is $1579.00 Canadian. I own the 15' LCD and I am traiding it for the 17' as I LOVE LCD's. I was telling him not to spend that much money just for watching DVD's, as you can get a BIG TV and DVD player for less. If he wants a bigger screen for other reasons as well, then by all means, get the 17' LCD.

------------------

"I thought they smelt bad on the outside."

gralem
Dedicated MacNNer
May 29, 2001, 07:58 PM

I would get the newer samsung 24" flat panel with ADC/secondary VGA (PIP) built-in (1920x1200) (that was a joke...it's like $8K).

Go for the 22" Apple Cinema!!! Burn that cash!!!

saltines17
Senior User
May 29, 2001, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by gralem:
I would get the newer samsung 24" flat panel with ADC/secondary VGA (PIP) built-in (1920x1200) (that was a joke...it's like $8K).
*sigh* can you just imagine if that thing was Apple-designed? *sigh*
I want one already� *sigh*

------------------

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2001, 11:23 PM

Nope, don't think I was "off-base". You might have noticed that the guy asking the question is from Canada. The cost of the 17' LCD is $1579.00 Canadian.
You're right, I didn't notice he was from Canada, my bad.

FWIW, when referring to other currencies, it's customary to indicate it, e.g. $1500 CDN, but nonetheless I apologize for my presumptuousness.

[This message has been edited by zigzag (edited 05-30-2001).]

satchmo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 30, 2001, 01:05 PM

Nope, don't think I was "off-base". You might have noticed that the guy asking the question is from Canada. The cost of the 17' LCD is $1579.00 Canadian. I own the 15' LCD and I am traiding it for the 17' as I LOVE LCD's. I was telling him not to spend that much money just for watching DVD's, as you can get a BIG TV and DVD player for less. If he wants a bigger screen for other reasons as well, then by all means, get the 17' LCD.

You seem to forget that even though the prices are in Canadian currency, everything is relative. In other words, just as the 17" display costs an extra 1.55x more than what you pay in the US, so will a big TV and DVD player.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2001, 04:12 PM

You seem to forget that even though the prices are in Canadian currency, everything is relative. In other words, just as the 17" display costs an extra 1.55x more than what you pay in the US, so will a big TV and DVD player.
Well I also live in Canada, and very very good DVD player is $280 and a very big TV is $1200, that is the same price as one 17' display just for DVD's.

------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2001, 07:44 PM

You and satchmo will be pleased (or maybe not so pleased) to know that I just spent the weekend with friends in Toronto and Parry Sound. I even ducked into a couple of computer stores to see if they had an iBook on display, but no such luck.

Anyway, sounds like satchmo wants an LCD display, and it's just a matter of deciding which one. Neither is widescreen, so you're going to have black bars either way. The 15" is more widescreen than the 17", but the 17" is more like a regular TV, and a lot of DVDs are still in regular format. I would toss a coin, then get the 17", just because it's usually nice to have more real estate.

I would note that the 15" has a higher brightness spec than the 17", but I don't know if this would have any meaningful impact on DVD watching.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2001, 11:07 PM

You and satchmo will be pleased (or maybe not so pleased) to know that I just spent the weekend with friends in Toronto and Parry Sound. I even ducked into a couple of computer stores to see if they had an iBook on display, but no such luck.
You have to hit the many Mac Only shops in Toronto to see all the Mac's. Almost all of the stores have iBooks now.

------------------

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

satchmo  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 31, 2001, 12:04 AM

I would note that the 15" has a higher brightness spec than the 17"
Yeah I noticed that too. Here were the other specs that is giving me cause to think.
17"
Viewing angle 160 degrees H and V
Brightness: 200 cd/m
Contrast: 350:1

15"
Viewing angle 120 degrees H and 90 degrees V
Brightness: 230 cd/m
Contrast: 300:1

So the 17" is not as bright but has a higher contrast and wider viewing angle. I think it'll be a case of seeing how they compare next to one another. Too bad the 17" won't be in until July (?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules