Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Anyone used PayPal as a shopping cart solution?

Anyone used PayPal as a shopping cart solution?
ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2002, 07:48 PM

Hi. I need to get a site up quickly that can handle credit card transactions. I'm thinking of using Paypal's shopping cart feature to handle the transaction because of their low fees and easy to implement cart feature.

Has anyone here tried this or heard any feedback from someone who has?

Info here if you're curious...
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...-intro-outside

Thanks.

-ringo

Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2002, 10:08 PM

The only problem with Paypal is that they're a major spamhaus...getting better, but still bad. Have you checked out Yahoo Store?

ringo  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2002, 11:57 PM

Spam as in spam for my customers? Blech.

I looked at Yahoo Shop, but the hosting is too pricey for my budget. I can save about 45.00/month hosting it myself.

Thanks anyway.

dvwannabe
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2002, 04:52 PM

I use PayPal as my shopping cart. It works great. I highly recommend it.

Hillbilly Wino
Oct 2, 2002, 05:12 PM

me too, we love it at my site below. the only thing is handling the shipping info for diffrent prices. Its a little limiting there. but it works and I like it!

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2002, 08:19 PM

Kagi is slightly expensive, but works well for two businesses I run. Kagi can sell more than just shareware. I've had thousands of transactions with Kagi this year, and no complaints from customers...

I implement my own shopping cart system to interface with Kagi, YMMV.

rplotkin
Oct 21, 2002, 12:20 AM

I use a PayPal system, and I find it's great, especially for smaller operations, or for things focused on younger buyers (who are more likely, in college, to have acquired PayPal accounts, at least percentage-wise).

ringo  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2002, 01:27 PM

Well, I took the plunge and used PayPal.
Anyone curious can take a look at the results here:
http://www.crybabydesigns.com

If you have a few minutes, send me (or post) any criticism or suggestions you may have about the site. This is my first major project, so don't pull any punches if you see something that needs work

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

ervier
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by ringo:
If you have a few minutes, send me (or post) any criticism or suggestions you may have about the site. This is my first major project, so don't pull any punches if you see something that needs work
Well I think it looks allright. It's clear, simple, straightforward, which is all good imo. Some things you might change is adding some whitespace around the pictures, and where is your address and phone number?! If you're serious about your business, put it on the contact page. You could add a contact form, which makes it a bit easier for people to request information or give feedback.
"Chance is irrelevant. We will succeed."
== 7 of 9 ==

Amorya
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2002, 08:44 AM

Do any of you use Paypal's Instant Payment Notification? I tried setting it up but I can't get it to work...

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules