Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best way to turn digital photos into slides?

Best way to turn digital photos into slides?
ringo
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2002, 04:46 PM

Does anyone have experience turning digital photos into slides? I need to put together a set of slides to apply for a show, but I photographed my entire product line with a digital camera.

Ideas? Tips? Tricks? Suggestions?

Any help is appreciated.

- ringo

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2002, 04:50 PM

If you'd be in London I could point you in th right direction. I suggest that you find a professional photographers laboratory and see what they can do.

Best of luck.

euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2002, 04:56 PM

I worked with a "slide producing device" at our institute. You can expose 35 mm films with it (actually a laser beam is used for exposure). I used it to get slides of a Powerpoint presentation i had to give. After exposure you can develope it using the normal E-6 process. If you are interested i can post the product name and company.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

andi*pandi
Dec 9, 2002, 05:28 PM

Most companies that will take film to make slides now can also take powerpoint or photoshop files. I even made Freehand files into slides once.

format your pix in 2/3 ratio and save as RGB jpg file. Look in the yellow pages, see what's nearby. If they can't do the photoshop, they should be able to do powerpoint. (import yer pix into powerpoint.)

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2002, 11:35 AM

google "35mm slides Powerpoint", plenty on on-line services. Also, many local photography shops provide this service. Be sure to have images at > or = 300 dpi for best results and keep away from serif fonts. Light on dark is better than dark on light is a good rule of thumb. The human eye can detect smaller light objects against a darker background better than visa versa.

Lastly, avoid PowerPoint like the plague as a 'graphics' package, stick to true graphics programs like PS, Illus, etc. PowerPoint is good at what it is, an on screen presentation program. Novices screw up good digital images very easily thinking PowerPoint is a good program to annotate their pix.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2002, 12:12 PM

A Polaroid film recorder is about CAD$6000 (<$US4000) plus software. They work, but the one we have is SCSI and I hate SCSI. Or else it's about CAD$5 a slide to get somebody else to make them. It depends on how make you are going to make:

5000 slides on a film recorder would be about US$2000 + the $4000 printer. The same would be $15000 at the print shop.

36 slides on a film recorder is about $15 + the $4000 printer. The same would be $100 at the print shop.

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2002, 12:42 PM

Granted, I'm still using an old MGI Sapphire Pro on a B&W G3. But have seen use drop off in our facility due to the widespread adoption of LCD projectors as opposed to 35mm projectors in lecture facilities.

If the user needs to make one set of slides and can't anticipate when he or she will make slides again the print shop is going away the best option. Also, be aware of line resolution on the lower end slide printers, some yield less than desirable results when the image is projected in a large hall.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2002, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by GFitzy:
If the user needs to make one set of slides and can't anticipate when he or she will make slides again the print shop is going away the best option. Also, be aware of line resolution on the lower end slide printers, some yield less than desirable results when the image is projected in a large hall.
Yeah, the Polaroid printer we have makes better slides than the old one our print shop has (which cost a lot more, several years ago). We are not graphics professionals, but they are. Go figure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules