Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WC3x

WC3x
SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2003, 04:53 AM

How about that Warcraft 3 expansion?

Pretty sweet, huh? Yeeeaaaahh...
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 06:46 AM

Wuh? Expansion?
*command-L, www.blizzard.com, enter*

[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

dividend
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2003, 09:07 AM

sweet - i you have a dual 2 Ghz G4 with 384 mb vram.

read my other thread about poor performance running W3 on Ti550, it seems a lot more people with more powerfull machines are also experiencing poor performance. What's the point in buying the expansion if you cannot play it?

Hope some kind of changes have been made to make it faster.... otherwise, it is of absolutely no interest.

conky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2003, 11:37 AM

Where do they list the sys requirements for it for the Mac? Also I do play WC3 and for me it plays perfect. I have had no probs. I have the 867-DP G4, 768mb ram, Raddy 8500.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 01:05 PM

Meh. WC3 singleplayer runs fine for me. G4/400, Radeon 8500, 448 MB RAM. Playing on battle.net on this machine = not as fine (that's what my iBook is for) but SP = major point of expansion for me.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2003, 01:57 PM

all these complaints over WC3 performance are kinda strange. yeah, it's going to be nasty with a G3 iMac, but some people with decent machines make the same complaints. i run it maxed out on a QS 867 with the standard GF2mx, and it does fine. it screams on my 867 powerbook.

i am definitely looking forward to this expansion. hopefully it'll bring back the ability to make walls. i always liked that in WC2, especially when i was all but destroyed--i'd build a wall around my unsuspecting opponent's gold mine and his supply would dwindle to nothing. lol!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2003, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by calamar1:
all these complaints over WC3 performance are kinda strange. yeah, it's going to be nasty with a G3 iMac, but some people with decent machines make the same complaints. i run it maxed out on a QS 867 with the standard GF2mx, and it does fine. it screams on my 867 powerbook.

i am definitely looking forward to this expansion. hopefully it'll bring back the ability to make walls. i always liked that in WC2, especially when i was all but destroyed--i'd build a wall around my unsuspecting opponent's gold mine and his supply would dwindle to nothing. lol!
And the ships... oil boats... ah, the memories!

MartiNZ
Senior User
Jan 23, 2003, 04:27 PM

Single player works fine on my iBook 800 w/ 32 VRAM, but I haven't tried playing online and would likely put the graphics options on low if I did - the frequent pauses and erratic cursor movement in large battles would just make that too hard otherwise. But I'll be getting it mainly for single player as well, and hopefully they'll have made it more efficient in os x as well!

Anyway, yeah the wc2 ships were cool - especially the way that they balanced the sea, land and air, i.e. only the weaker ships could hit air units. And given that they seem to have most of the necessary graphics hanging around in wc3 - there are a few ships seen in the campaign and then part of a cinematic shows the war from wc2 going on - I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to do wc2 with better graphics.

It seems to me that it was a better game for multiplayer strategy.. from what little I've read about wc3 MP.

While I'm here... does anyone know how to get the music from wc3 out, like into iTunes or something? I can't even find the file(s) that it comes from, but it's pretty nice.. same goes for wc2 in fact !

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2003, 08:03 PM

Open WC3 World editor. Then go sound editor(F5). The music is under internal music.

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2003, 08:23 PM

Yeah well I'm going to wait and make sure that Blizzard doesn't screw it up. All their games are super high quality but they jacked up the expansion craft for Starcraft in my opinion. However I did like the Diablo 2 one, so time will tell I guess.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules