Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC Stream

WWDC Stream
jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 12:14 AM

Does anyone *know* if there will be a WWDC stream tomorrow morning? I imagine that even if they don't stream it live, they'll have an archive of it later on in the day... Hopefully.
jesse ;-)

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2004, 12:18 AM

I was also hoping for a stream, but I doubt it�wouldn't it have been up by now? Anyway, if there's not a stream, hopefully we do get an archive later, as you said. I wanna see me some Tiger action.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 12:22 AM

Nope, No Stream. No Live video at Stores either.

All we can do is hammer Apple.com (See: "OMG THE STORE IS DOWN!")

-Owl

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Nope, No Stream. No Live video at Stores either.

All we can do is hammer Apple.com (See: "OMG THE STORE IS DOWN!")

-Owl
Damn...I was going to go to the store and watch it. Oh well, guess my 'R' key will be getting a workout.

Anyone know what time the keynote starts, BTW?

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by zachs:

Anyone know what time the keynote starts, BTW?
10 AM Pacific, 12 Noon Central.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

zachs
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
10 AM Pacific, 12 Noon Central.
Cool, thanks.

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 02:32 AM

Why in the hell would Apple choose not to stream this?
This is a BIG mistake in my opinion.

Ganesha
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by Eyenovation:
They expect hecklers again? And Steve is ready to take them out with a demo of iLaser?
Microsoft bought all the Satellite Time?
RDF2.0 can't be embedded into a live stream at this time?
Since this demo has to do with Tiger, Steve doesn't want to pull a Siegfried and Roy on a live show?

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Ganesha:
Since this demo has to do with Tiger, Steve doesn't want to pull a Siegfried and Roy on a live show?
Images of a tiger in a state of satiety, gnarling on a measly scrap of blue jean and a black turtleneck fill my head. Classic.

nbnz
Senior User
Jun 28, 2004, 02:57 AM

Images of a tiger in a state of satiety, gnarling on a measly scrap of blue jean and a black turtleneck fill my head. Classic.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 03:02 AM

Because developers pay a shitload to attend this show.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 03:06 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Because developers pay a shitload to attend this show.
Matters not. They still get to touch all the goodies and get all the free poop. I'm a valued stockholder. I think I have a right to see it.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 28, 2004, 03:37 AM

At the press conference next day: "This pair of white sneakers is all that`s left of our beloved Steve".
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:45 AM

The fact that there is no stream makes waiting for the keynote pointless unless one is attending in person. Everyone will just have to wait until after the keynote is over and then some for some info to be leaked.

Possible reasons for no stream this year:

I doubt new hardware will be announced, or at least new hardware that many people will care about (new overpriced displays perhaps?). The G5 was big for a large portion of the Mac market (including developers) so it had reason to be streamed.

Or perhaps Tiger is just not as big of an update as Panther was (which wasn't as big as Jaguar in my opinion).

Or perhaps Tiger is still is fairly early development and things are subject to change. 10.1 was released in August, right? And 10.2 in September, right? And 10.3 was in October on the 24th. So they are likely on track for a November or later release, possibly even pushing things back to MWSF 2005 just to finish up some things and make a big deal about it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 08:54 AM

There's a stream. My friend's going and I'll be on the phone w/him .

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 08:59 AM

It's because there aren't going to be any huge announcements this show. No G5 powerbooks, no G5 iMacs, no iWalks, etc. Apple is trying to untie their releasing schedule leash from WWDC and MacWorld, and this is one step along that road.

I, for one, think this is a great idea. Hopefully it'll help stop people from saying, "OMG. WWDC is in 3 months, should I buy a new PowerMac, or wait?" Ship 'em when they're ready, buy 'em when you're ready.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 09:57 AM

Matters not. They still get to touch all the goodies and get all the free poop. I'm a valued stockholder. I think I have a right to see it.
Exactly. Period.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Turias
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 10:04 AM

You do have the right! You just have to pay a crapload of money.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 28, 2004, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
It's because there aren't going to be any huge announcements this show. No G5 powerbooks, no G5 iMacs, no iWalks, etc. Apple is trying to untie their releasing schedule leash from WWDC and MacWorld, and this is one step along that road.

I, for one, think this is a great idea. Hopefully it'll help stop people from saying, "OMG. WWDC is in 3 months, should I buy a new PowerMac, or wait?" Ship 'em when they're ready, buy 'em when you're ready.
This sounds good. Very very good.
I guess we are all spoiled brats in need of re-education.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

notaclone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by notaclone:
Just talked to Apple Store Soho, they are having a recap on Wed, which should include video highlights. The in house memo said if you are not in Cuppertino, tough.
Sigh, it's just not the same as a live stream...
I remember the introduction of the fruity iMacs: As the Stones song "She comes in colors everywhere ... she's like a rainbow" played, I screamed at Quicktime (4?) "What's going on!?! What are they showing?" As I watching meaningless pixellated garbage stutter across the postage stamp sized window. Been senselessly hooked on watching keynotes that way ever since. Boy has streaming improved since then!!
But it's fun in person when you reach under your seat and find a brand new mouse!
I think making big announcements at the shows also has a volatile effect on stock prices.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2004, 10:40 AM

I wonder how Steve pronounces 'Tiger'.

"Tig-wire" ?

notaclone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2004, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
"Tig-wire" ?
Are you poking fun at George's: "Abu-Ga-Raf" [Abugraib]?

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by notaclone:
Are you poking fun at George's: "Abu-Ga-Raf" [Abugraib]?
He's actually making fun of the way Steve used to pronounce "Jaguar" as "Jag-wire."

Anyway, there was nto a live web stream last year. The keynote was replayed on Apple.com after the keynote finished. The only way to see it live was to go to an Apple store. This year, no Apple stores are showing it, but that still doesn't mean it's going to be uneventful.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 11:01 AM

I'm also very disappointed. Apple seems to consider us second class citizens.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by hyperb0le:
He's actually making fun of the way Steve used to pronounce "Jaguar" as "Jag-wire."
Which is stupid because that is a very common american pronounciation for the word. Why anyone would say Tigwire is beyond me, maybe he'll say it Tye-guh to satisfy all the stuck up Euros who think their pronunciation is the only correct one.

Its time we realize that there is more than one way to pronounce a word.

hyperb0le
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Which is stupid because that is a very common american pronounciation for the word. Why anyone would say Tigwire is beyond me, maybe he'll say it Tye-guh to satisfy all the stuck up Euros who think their pronunciation is the only correct one.

I agree. I was just explaining to notaclone that Jobs was the butt of the joke, not Dubya. But yes, the whole "Panth-wire LOLOMGWTF" thing is growing old very fast.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 28, 2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:

i like how you call us lot stuck up. have you heard yourself lately?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:

"Tig-wire" ?
Actually, if you listen to the Jaguar car commercials, they pronounce it Jag-u-are, which is a lot closer to the way Steve pronounces it than Jag-wahr.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

crayola
Jun 28, 2004, 12:29 PM

grrr. i wanna see the stream dagnabbit! even if they're only releasing a garagebaned update
whatevah!!! i do what i want!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2004, 12:39 PM

I'm a valued stockholder. I think I have a right to see it.
*ROTFLMAO*

You are NOTHING !
Face it !

-t

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 08:09 PM

Anyone know where I can find the streaming in quicktime of the keynote??? Or there is non?

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 29, 2004, 02:20 AM

Thanks, that's very kind of you. you too.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2004, 02:26 AM

Well, I watched it. Here's my reaction, as posted in the other thread:

I was going to mention Steve's "boom!" thing, too. Also, he likes to give a "whoop" after every friggin' presenter.

Well, after seeing everything shown, I have to say I am very impressed, as well as optimistic. The demos give a better of idea of what you will be able to do, the things you'll be able to accomplish. Looks better demoed than on paper.

Also, I found Dashboard to be Apple resurrection of desk accessories�the space age version. It's similar in function to Konfabulator, but I like Apple's approach much better, though they may fundamentally serve up the same functionality in a sense. I like the idea of "desk accessories," where I can call on these little things as I need them, and get rid of them right away. I never like that things just "hung around" with Konfabulator. Of course, that refractive water ripple effect in Dashboard when you add a new widget was bad ass, of course. CoreImage is awesome.

iChat: awesome. Totally psyched. I can't wait to show that **** off to my friends. Phil got a little annoying in the video, and Steve kicked him out of the conference. It was funny.

Anyway, I'm psyched for Tiger already. Hopefully there's a lot more cool stuff to come, and the rest of the 150+ features aren't just little additions to apps like RSS readers�as cool as that addition is.

Side note: That Automator icon through me off a bit. Seems like quite a design change from the usual icons in terms of icon metaphors they tend to go with in their apps. I wonder if that was a contracted job, since Apple does do that, I heard. It's not something I would have expected from Apple, but I like it. Of course, I wouldn't have expected that poopy new Finder icon in Panther, so never mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules