Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 802.11g for non-extreme-ready macs?

802.11g for non-extreme-ready macs?
ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2004, 07:33 AM

Hello,

I have an older model iBook that came out before Apple was making Airport Extreme cards. I'd like to replace my 802.11b access point with an 802.11g access point, but the description for the Airport Extreme cards at Apple's site says that they can't be used with older models.

I've seen a variety of small 802.11g USB adapters in the PC world, is there an equivalent OSX-compatible product? My iBook is adaquate for what it's used for, I can't justify buying a new one just to get faster wireless access. There was no such product at the Apple Store.

Edit: Just figured out that old USB is capped at a speed barely better than 802.11b....any other suggestions about how to make this happen? Such a thing as a firewire to 802.11g adapter?

Thank you.

- ringo
( Last edited by ringo; Oct 7, 2004 at 07:50 AM. )

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2004, 03:58 PM

Wireless ethernet bridge. But it's pretty big, about the size of a book and needs to be plugged in.
I'd stick with the built in Airport card.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 11, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
Edit: Just figured out that old USB is capped at a speed barely better than 802.11b....any other suggestions about how to make this happen? Such a thing as a firewire to 802.11g adapter?

Thank you.

- ringo
The problem with the USB "cap" is that your older iBook has a USB 1.1 port, which is too slow to give you a faster connection, even with a "G" adapter.

If you HAVE to be wireless, and you HAVE to have "G" speeds, you're pretty much stuck with using a wireless ethernet bridge. You'll get full speed, but you'll have to pay for it with bulky hardware. Note that there isn't a lot of reason to go to 802.11g for simple surfing, and that your broadband connection is almost certainly much slower than even a good "B" connection.

I can't remember if any iBooks had PCMCIA card slots...if you have such a slot, you can get a Mac compatible wireless PCMCIA card, and that will give you a full-speed "G" connection.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules