Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 2004 Movies: Best and Worst

2004 Movies: Best and Worst (Page 2)
roberto blanco
Senior User
Jan 2, 2005, 06:29 PM

the best:

shaun of the dead (went on a date and we both couldn't stop laughing throughout most of the movie) - thanks to the people who posted about it on this forum here, i don't even think i would have ever found out about it otherwise!

kill bill vol.2 - simply awesome. a real cinematic milestone (along with volume 1)

the corporation - really shocking and insightful. a well made documentary.

the worst:

extreme rage - maybe the worst movie i've ever seen.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2005, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Why Jim Carrey keeps getting passed over on the Oscar nods is baffling to me. He is exceptional no matter what he does.
I loved Eternal Sunshine, great movie. However, Jim Carrey too often fell back into playing the role of Jim Carrey, not his onscreen persona.

His character in the movie was a repressed kind of guy, so if he ever did do goofy things like Carrey does in normal life, it would come off very forced and awkward, especially over the short year he spent with Kate Winslet's character.

The opening scene of Eternal Sunshine showed Jim Carrey acting like goofy Jim Carrey (the way he got up out of bed made me think, "okay, so he's being his normal self at least *some*what). True, it's shown why he wakes up like this later in the movie, but it still started the movie off by making you go, "oh, it's Jim Carrey... yup."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2005, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Best:

Backdoor Boy VII.
I didn't mean that as a slight Simey. When I went to see it, I was fully aware that his sexual preferences would be explored (and rightfully so)... I just wasn't expecting a Caligula remake. Meh, I was just disappointed that so much of his career was ignored, but his sexuality was placed in the spotlight, as if it were the only thing in his life that mattered. It's a silly, shallow film.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 08:51 AM

Jim Carrey will probably have to resort to playing a retarded person or someone in a wheelchair to get an Oscar nod a la Rainman or Born on the 4th of July

Seriously, he was really great in Eternal Sunshine and he was great in The Majestic. Fun with Dick and Jane is going to be great also.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2005, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
I didn't mean that as a slight Simey.
I didn't take it as a slight, I just laughed at the name you came up with.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2005, 09:34 AM

There are far better actors and those more deserving of an Oscar than Jim Carrey.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 09:42 AM

Like you?

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 10:00 AM

BEST

Oldboy
Kill Bill Vol.2
Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind

WORST

Garfield
AvP
Resident Evil 2

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 10:06 AM

Rented Garfield for our kids.

Our 4-year old thought it was "boring."

That tells you something.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2005, 10:09 AM

Like you?
No. Like Morgan Freeman. Like Ewan McGregor. Like Ed Harris. Like Peter O'Toole. Like Jude Law. Like Bill Murray. Like Clint Eastwood. Like Nick Nolte. Like Brad Pitt. Like Kevin Bacon. Like Liam Neeson. Like quite a few others.

Broaden your horizons beyond your little cul-de-sac in Florida. Plenty of culture out there.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by roberto blanco:
the best:

shaun of the dead
I thought that film had so much promise and really let me down. The funny parts were kinda few and far between and there was a tad too much of the usual scary zombie film in it. The first third was great though. And the epilogue was rather cute.

The last good film I saw in the theater was the Incredibles. I saw the Ghost in the Machine shortly afterwards and it kinda sucked kinda big time.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 10:20 AM

Kevin Bacon?

OKAY.

I admit he's had some interesting roles, but nothing of the stature of other actors you mentioned. You forgot some other greats such as Robert Deniro, Nick Cage, William H. Macy, Tom Cruise, and Sean Penn. There are countless others, of course. Christian Bale, James Franco, and even Zach Braff proves his acting and directing chops in Garden State.

Oh, and when you're talking to me about broadening my horizons? You might want to include a few women in your little "list."

(And I don't live in a cul de sac. I live at/on the beach.)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2005, 10:32 AM

Kevin Bacon was vry, very good in Sleepers, JFK and Murder In The First.

DeNiro has an Oscar. Nicolas Cage has an Oscar. William H. Macy doesn't have the body of work or the standout role, in my view. Sean Penn has an Oscar. Tom Cruise? I'm divided. He's done good stuff and done stuff that's very bad.

Christian Bale? For what role? James Franco? For what role? BTW, you mentioned actors so I left actresses off the list as they wouldn't compete with Carrey for a role.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 10:52 AM

What you're discussing is subjective.

You mentioned Kevin Bacon. I mentioned Christian Bale. Remember American Psycho? The business card scene is one of the best scenes in any movie. Bale's acting is superb. Franco was awesome in his James Dean biopic. That guy can act. He was in Spiderman, but the truth is that he is light years beyond Maguire in acting chops.
( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Jan 3, 2005 at 10:58 AM. )

roberto blanco
Senior User
Jan 3, 2005, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by paully dub:
I thought that film had so much promise and really let me down. The funny parts were kinda few and far between and there was a tad too much of the usual scary zombie film in it. The first third was great though. And the epilogue was rather cute.
i actually thought the beginning was kinda slow, but there were just so many little refferences (like the one where they throw the records...etc.) and moments of comedy gold (typical understated british humor) that this one made it to the top of my list.

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2005, 11:04 AM

Franco is next in Paint directed by Robert Altman and it is going to be a really great behind-the-scenes look at the New York City art scene in a black comedy type of vehicle. I've heard that it's going to be his real break-through role. I like the guy. I think he has staying power.

Oh, and another great? Johnny Depp. I've loved that guy's acting ever since he was about as well-known as either Bale or Franco.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 11:07 AM

i actually thought the beginning was kinda slow, but there were just so many little refferences (like the one where they throw the records...etc.) and moments of comedy gold (typical understated british humor) that this one made it to the top of my list.
The previews suggested it was going to be a romp - posing for pictures with Zombies, throwing records at them, singing White Lines, etc, rather than actually be afraid of them and run away screaming and whatnot. All the good stuff was in the build up to the real horror flick.

The Don't Stop Me Now bit was kind of amusing, though.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2005, 11:24 AM

Is there actually going to be an Ash vs. Mike Myers vs. Jason flick? I've heard rumors, but nothing concrete yet. Damn that would be awesome.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ringo  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2005, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Is there actually going to be an Ash vs. Mike Myers vs. Jason flick? I've heard rumors, but nothing concrete yet. Damn that would be awesome.
Sam Rami and Bruce Campbell are teaming up to remake Evil Dead. There's a lot of chatter around "rebuilding the franchise", so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if a x vs. y vs. z film gets made in a few years.

storer
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2005, 07:24 PM

Rented Garfield for our kids.

Our 4-year old thought it was "boring."

That tells you something.
Yes, add that to my list too. My 12 year old sister found it good. Though, she's not the brightest 12 year old...

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 02:40 AM

I just saw The Machinist. I highly recommend it, esp. when you're an insomniac like me. That movie was amazing.

"A little guilt goes a long way."

Short Trailer [1 MB]
( Last edited by demograph68; Feb 21, 2005 at 02:54 AM. )

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2005, 02:50 AM

AvP was truly horrible.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 21, 2005, 07:08 PM

Maria Full of Grace

15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules