Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Have a macbook need backpack

Have a macbook need backpack
duoikari
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2006, 09:40 AM

I was looking around on the forum lately for a carry bag or backpack for my macbook 13.3. I need to take the macbook to my college and need a bag that will conseal the laptop while i am traveling on the train. Since i am a girl i would prefer something in black and something slightly stylish, but i also want the backpack to be light so that i'm not weighed down too much when i am on the train.

Can anyone please recommend a laptop back pack or bag to me please, baring in mind that i do come from england and it is very difficult for me to buy a bag from overseas??

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2006, 09:50 AM

BestBuy has a nice line of Targus bags. I got mine there, I also put my Macbook in a seperate sleve before putting it in the bag for extra padding.

Targus 15.4" CityGear Chicago Notebook Backpack
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

horrorbiz
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2006, 02:25 PM

I had a nice swiss backpack style case that I got at Best Buy as well. It looks just like a regular backpack however it has a nice padded lap top sleeve built in.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2006, 05:45 PM

Basic strategy for train commutes is to get an innocuous padded laptop backback that doesn't scream "laptop inside, steal me." And those are tough to find.

Quick search for "laptop backpack" on amazon.co.uk turns up about 48 backpacks. But you'd be better off finding a store where you can actually try out the padding and test the fit because you certainly wouldn't want a neandertaler-fitting design...

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2006, 06:05 PM

Sounds like you need a Crumpler. Here's a nice one:

Crumpler Products Page

You can see more at crumplerbags.com. They're pricey though, but worth it. I've got one and I love it. They also have sholder bags. Timbuk2 is also good.

Some things about Targus and other computer bags: they're UGLY and they stick out like a sore thumb. As soon as someone sees TARGUS on a bag, they know there's a computer inside they can steal. (BTW, they've been making computer bags for a LONG time... why haven't they made ONE decent looking one?)

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2006, 10:02 PM

You mean a mackpack? Sounds cooler than crumpler..
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2006, 12:06 AM

Well, the Targus pretty much says you're toting a PC, and who wants to steal a PC, when they could nip somebody else's Mac laptop in a Crumpler? Protective coloring, if you know what I mean.

In terms of good design, and great interior layout of compartments, I'd got for a Wenger Synergy, which Amazon carries, but apparently not in the UK? I love the way the back padding lifts the pack away from your back, and the interior design is really elegant

Amazon.com: SYNERGY from SwissGear by Wenger Computer Backpack: Electronics

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 12:18 AM

Are you serious? You think a thief is gonna not steal a Targus bag because he thinks it's a Windows PC? And that most thieves know a Crumpler bag when they see one?

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2006, 12:55 AM

Thieves know expensive stuff, that's what they do for a living.

Targus was tongue in cheek. But if a thief has a choice between stealing an iPod or a cheapo mp3 player, which do you think's gonna go? Protective coloring if you've got an iPod would involve getting black headphones. Same principle applies to backpacks.

Mostly, thieves specialize in watching for inattentive people. They might go for a target of opportunity, but they'd rather nic nice stuff.

mdickinson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 08:39 AM

I think the Wenger bags are nice. You can see some here.

I also like this L.L. Bean bag. I'm not sure how many books you'd get in there...and I'm not totally sure about the style, but I think I like it. I'm not in an area with public transit, but I think I'd prefer this style to a backpack if I were.

I don't think either of those scream "steal my laptop!"

chipchen
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2006, 09:06 PM

uhh... well most Mac users have never heard of Crumpler, much less the general public.

rlinhares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 09:35 AM

Honestly, mac case is the best bet. I have a "regular" backpack, and put my Powerbook in my mac case inside it. Very hard to notice there's a laptop inside.

The mac case itself it's flawless. well padded, reasonablly lightweight, and rescpectfull on the design of our beloved macs. And I saw they have a distributor in the UK.

Cucucachoo
Sep 25, 2006, 07:50 PM

yeah the above is what i do. I have a messenger bag that i found at old navy and i put my iBook in a sleeve and then into the bag. I don't have the mac case but i do use a normal old sleeve.
MacBook 2.16Ghz 13.3" with 4gig Ram 120gb HD
iBook G4 1.33ghz 12" with 1024MB Ram, 80gb HD, Dual-Layer SuperDrive
iBook G3 600mhz 12" with 640MB Ram, 60gb Hard Drive and a CD-R/RW-DVD drive Vist me at my blog

Forum Links
Forum Rules