Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Automator for regular download

Automator for regular download
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2008, 05:17 PM

I'm trying to get my head around Automator - can anyone help with this?
I have a website that has a file that is updated on a regular basis but the name is the same (webcam photo).
I want to have automator download the file ever hour and rename it to a sequence.
How do I do that?
Thanks!

Max_Doubt_M'Wham
Mar 12, 2008, 06:21 PM

Hope this helps:

Introduction to using Automator with Fetch on Mac OS X 10.5

If you are using Tiger just follow this link:

For Tiger, follow this link instead

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2008, 06:46 PM

Thanks, that helps, I'll try to get my head round it. Any way to do this without spending the $25 on Fetch?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2008, 07:08 PM

Automator pron leeching ? Smart move

-t

pilotdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2008, 11:41 AM

I don't have time to look at it but I think as a basic outline you will need to create a workflow that downloads the image and renames it and once you get that working then save it as a plug in for iCal and then you need to create an Event that occurs daily in iCal and set alarms that occur each hour and select Open File and add the workflow you created. Hope that helps you get started.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2008, 07:11 PM

Erm, thanks, but it's not pron... Pilot - thanks - that's the workflow I need, but I can't figure it out - I know, aren't I? I can't find anything on the internet side of Automator about downloading files.... Thanks!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2008, 07:49 PM

In Automator in the Library click the Internet section. Drag the "Get Specified URLs" action into the workflow. Specify the URL of the image. Drag the "Download URLs" action below. Specify the the destination folder. Now renaming the downloaded image sequentially appears to be tricky in Automator (aka I don't know how to do it), but you can add a "Rename Finder Items" action and add the date and then another one and add the time. That should do it.

To run the workflow hourly get the "Automator Loop Utility":

Automator • Downloads

Forum Links
Forum Rules