Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > magic mouse crippled, why?

magic mouse crippled, why?
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2010, 01:42 AM

New iMac, new Magic Mouse (MM). Mouse is really slow, although syst.prefs is set to max, and my macally usb rodent is 5x as fast, measured in inches needed to move cursor from monitor edge to edge. Question, how do I accelerate the 'magic' Mouse beyond prefs? Thank you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 02:54 AM

Move it faster. It has exponential acceleration.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 10, 2010, 04:43 AM

P.S.: I just realized that you're probably an old-timer not likely confused by the different acceleration curves between Mac and Windows.

Do you have any other mouse/USB-input device drivers installed? Those might be messing with the mouse tracking. See if you can update or outright uninstall them.

Of course, the mouse may just be broken.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 10, 2010, 07:28 AM

Download MagicPrefs.

reader50
Administrator
May 10, 2010, 02:17 PM

Try MouseZoom. Make sure if you need the 64-bit version for Snow Leopard booted in 64-bit mode, or the 32-bit version for every other combination.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2010, 12:53 PM

Calling the magic mouse crippled is an understatement.

I second the MagicPrefs solution.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Calling the magic mouse crippled is an understatement.
I dunno - mine works pretty much perfectly for my usage.

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2010, 04:13 PM

Folks, many thanks for you replies! Sorry to have been out of touch, had bigger fish to fry than this miserable excuse for a rodent. I did get MagicPrefs, a bit better but this is the problem. I have a Macally icemini and on a 27" screen, it moves the cursor from side to side with one inch of movement on the pad. This makes life easy. With the MM the same movement requires 3 1/2 inches. I've tried setting everything in MagicPrefs I can. I also downloaded MouseZoom, I have it set to highest speed, same thing. So I have to agree with osiris.
( Last edited by jmiddel; Jun 20, 2010 at 04:27 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jun 20, 2010, 04:43 PM

So you need to set acceleration on a per-device level to make the movements match.

Try USB Overdrive. It is shareware $20, but if anything will give you per-device tracking speed control, USB Overdrive will.

Alternatively, you could install the Macally drivers for your mouse, and turn down the tracking speed until it matches the magic mouse. Then use MouseZoom or MagicPrefs to crank up the overall system tracking speed to whatever you like.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 28, 2010, 03:33 PM

I have a 27" iMac w/ Magic Mouse and with a quick swipe it takes less than a hand's width to cover the width of the screen. Tracking in system preferences is set about one tick on the right from center.

Moving the mouse slowly and the mouse tracks about the same rate on the desk as it does on the screen.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2010, 07:52 PM

My favorite Magic Mouse decrippler is BetterTouchTool (BetterTouchTool � BetterTouchTool & SecondBar). Not only does it allow you to speed up the mouse but it also allows you to unlock the multi-touch of the Magic Mouse (probably a little too much, but that's another conversation).

Forum Links
Forum Rules