Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: 16 GB of 2006 Xserve RAM

FS: 16 GB of 2006 Xserve RAM
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2012, 05:42 PM

8 sticks of 2 GB, each with the proper low profile heat sink pre-installed. Pop them in an Xserve 2006 and you're golden. They will also work in a 2008 Xserve, but at 667 MHz instead of 800 MHz. I've heard of people putting them in Mac Pros too, but I wouldn't since Mac Pro ram has much bigger heat sinks, you would assume because the Mac Pro doesn't move as much air. Also this RAM isn't from 2006. It was purchased and installed in 2009 to install in a then-new 2008 Xserve (yes they put the wrong RAM in the Xserve, but it just runs the memory slower - 2008 Xserves can take 800 MHz RAM)

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2012, 06:26 PM

I'm hoping to pick up a 2008 this week myself. RAM is still pretty expensive for these units. Mine should come with 4GB in it. How much did you want for all this RAM? Mine is mostly going to be used to re-encode video so I doubt the RAM speed will inhibit performance too much.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2012, 08:57 PM

Well I was looking for $300, but I have no idea how much shipping to UK would be?
Yeah these fully buffered DIMMs are expensive. If my server was living at home, a Mac mini with its basic RAM would be fine. But since this is living in a data center. I figure I might as well freshen it all up, give my self the best statistical chance of having no issues down the road.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 17, 2012, 03:59 AM

All marketplace items must have an asking price when posted. It's sort of a perennial thing.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2012, 04:00 AM

Well technically I did just give a price. Do you mean in the title?

Forum Links
Forum Rules