Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sell Me On Romney Without Mentioning Obama

Sell Me On Romney Without Mentioning Obama (Page 4)
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by iBeam View Post
Which is as good of a reason as any why we should not elect them. They don't care about real solutions to the economic hardships of average Americans. They don't want to right any wrongs, they just want power for their own selfish greed.
Clearly, you haven't read the title of this thread.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2012, 05:03 PM

Which is as good of a reason as any why we should not elect them. They don't care about real solutions to the economic hardships of average Americans. They don't want to right any wrongs, they just want power for their own selfish greed.
I wouldn't necessarily disagree with all of this, however I wouldn't say it's due to Republican economic philosophy, it's due to abandoning it.

The Republicans had six years of unfettered control, and they used that to supersize the budget and sell our collective asses to China. This isn't Republican philosophy on how you control debt, it's more like, I don't know, meth addiction or something.

Edit: I must ask you to forgive my lack of manners for not welcoming you to our little corner of hell. No time like the present though, so, welcome!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2012, 05:18 PM

That is why the (R)s lost control of Congress.

What I don't get is during the six years under Bill Clinton, they managed to pass most of the "Contract with America," including Welfare reform and passed balanced budgets that reduced the deficit.
45/47

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2012, 05:22 PM

Less people to kill.

iBeam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Clearly, you haven't read the title of this thread.
What is the purpose of a discussion unless there is point and counterpoint? There was no mention of POTUS in my remarks.
MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 02:14 AM

Oh please, you've just described all of DC. Sorry, we're fresh out of noble politicians in federal office, you'll just have to pick the scumbag who suits you best and go with them.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2012, 03:26 AM

Are you serious with this? I try to remind myself that the collective really isn't this thick, but I see sentiment like this on FB all the time and can't for the life of me determine how it is you've come to a place where it is only one side looking out for themselves and the other side is clean as the driven snow.

You've been had.
ebuddy

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
What I don't get is during the six years under Bill Clinton, they managed to pass most of the "Contract with America," including Welfare reform and passed balanced budgets that reduced the deficit.
I recently heard an excellent hypothesis regarding this on the Dianne Rehm show. I don't remember who the guest was, but his idea was that during the Clinton administration, the Republicans in Congress were mostly worried about Democratic challengers taking their seats in the general elections. As a result, they trended moderate and were willing to meet Democrats in the middle to avoid alienating the centrist voters who usually end up deciding elections. During the Obama administration, however, we've seen the rise of the Tea Party as a major disruptive factor in the Republican Party. Now those Republican Congressmen can't afford to worry about losing to democrats in the generals, instead they have to worry about losing to Tea Party candidates in the primaries. In order to keep their seats, then, they have to instead trend right to avoid alienating the more extreme ends of the Republican base. Because of this, they can't afford to compromise or meet Democrats in the middle, and instead are best served by being completely obstructionist and preventing the Democrats from achieving anything.

My own personal addition to this hypothesis, is that it's all the result of decades and decades of gerrymandering of Congressional districts. Both parties have worked very hard to ensure that their Congressional districts are essentially single-party enclaves, ensuring that the Party retains control. The unfortunate side effect of this is that there is no longer any moderating influence of diverse political opinion keeping either party's Congressmen in the center.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 11, 2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Are you serious with this? I try to remind myself that the collective really isn't this thick, but I see sentiment like this on FB all the time and can't for the life of me determine how it is you've come to a place where it is only one side looking out for themselves and the other side is clean as the driven snow.
You've been had.
That one interpretation of that sentiment, but since it only comments on one side, the lesser of two evils would be just as good a conclusion to draw from it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2012, 08:00 AM

As I pointed out many moons ago, this book dispels the the myth of who does and doesn't care.

45/47

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2012, 06:40 PM

My point is those who question Romney for being a Mormon have no problem with Reid. Romney was born into the faith. Unlike Romney, Reid CHOSE to beome a Mormon as an adult,in the 1960's, when blacks were still prohibited from becoming clergy.
As to Ironknee's question: My family has lived in Arizona/New Mexico region for over 400 years. My father was born in the same town as Morris Udahl. (St Johns) My mother was born in neighboring town. (Concho). St Johns is still 1/2 Mormon, 1/2 Mexican (Catholic). So yes We do know what Mormons belive. Timothy Cardinal Dolan, President of the USCCB said long before Romney became the (R) nominee "There may many reasons not to vote for Mitt Romney, being Mormon is NOT one of them"
first sorry for the delay on this...the new design is not friendly to where one posted ...for me

ok chongo...i get it ...you know what mormons think...

and i'm not a fan that reid is a mormon either... i'm not a fan that obama is christian for that matter

but my point was do the right-wing christians know...and how do they justify the differences...spiritually?

differences like:

american indians are really from 2 tribes of israel

god lives on a planet called Kolob

a man can be god

joseph smith met god and jesus

you know stuff like that

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2012, 02:56 AM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2012, 03:21 AM

It just dawned on me that out of the major party candidates for President and VP, we have a Mormon, two Catholics, and a black guy. Not a WASP among them. That has to be historic....

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
That one interpretation of that sentiment, but since it only comments on one side, the lesser of two evils would be just as good a conclusion to draw from it.
No, it's commenting on only one side because it sees only one side. Hence the problem.
ebuddy

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2012, 07:33 AM

I think because they were still pining over Reagan, who promoted compromise as a way to get policies through, coupled with Clinton with a similar philosophy and Gingrich kicking them into gear. Current crop of politicians are are now a no-compromise party. They'll vote bills down that they've historically supported just because the other party promoted it.

The pathetic thing is that for all the non-stop praise of Reagan, he would have never gotten elected today. He was way too liberal for current Republicans.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules