Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > slow or lost of connection

slow or lost of connection
duoikari
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2007, 10:38 AM

I recently had my white macbook fix, it had to have a new hard drive installed. I rebooted it from the tigers disc and it was fine. But for the past 2 weeks i have noticed that the internet is either very slow or is not there at all. I have had my macbook for a year now and i bought the router after i bought the mac and i had no problems at all. But now it is only now, after the macbook got fixed, that i am experiencing problems.

I opened up the internet settings and looked at the signal that the router is sending out and it fluxes up and down. So we figured someone was leeching off my internet, but we have put a password on the internet for both the router and the mac and it is still happening.

The router itself is a Belkin G+ memo and i've had it for just under a year now. Any help on this matter?

ty very much

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 4, 2007, 11:03 AM

First, turn off both your modem and your router for a while-time out five minutes with a watch. Now turn on the modem and let it start up completely-give it a whole minute. Now turn your router on and let it start up-again, give it a whole minute. Now restart your Mac (yes completely) and when it's done, go to Network Preferences, select whichever adapter you're connecting with (I assume it's your AirPort card) and then click on "renew IP lease".

Your modem and router are little embedded microcomputers-and they aren't exactly built to "mission critical" standards. Neither are their operating systems or firmware. That means that they often get goofy after a while, so a hard restart helps clear that sort of thing up. I try to restart my networking hardware about once a month on general principals (having it all plugged into the same UPS helps with that). Restarting your computer gives your AirPort card a hard restart, and that's often a good way to get the card back on the job properly.

Post how well this works.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2007, 03:52 PM

i sorry but i can't seem to find the "renew IP lease" you speak of, where in the network preferances is it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 5, 2007, 06:15 PM

With Network Preferences open, select your adapter (your AirPort card, probably) in the "Show" window. Now click on the "TCP/IP" button. On the right side is a button labeled "Renew DHCP Lease" (sorry I didn't give you the actual label earlier). Click it. Done.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

duoikari  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2007, 06:44 PM

ah i thought it was that one, it was the only thing i saw close to what you mentioned. I did that a while go but it didn't seem to work. It seems to me that someone is leeching off my internet, i have put a password on it but using the wep code from the pc. But the connection just seem to come on at certains times so i wonder if it's my neighbours. I'm wondering where or not i should try and reinstall the router again, but it seems from what i have read on other post i am not the only person who is having the lost and low signal from the router. I have done a airport update, it didn't solve it completely but i think the connection has improved but i will have to check it tomorrow and see if the connection is the same as it is now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules