Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery time warp issue

Battery time warp issue
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2007, 02:13 PM

The last few weeks, if I leave my Powerbook in sleep mode for any substantial amount of time, the battery runs out, and when the machine is powered up again, it is 1969. There is a message saying that the computer does not think that the clock is set correctly.
This is not what I think used to happen, and my suspicion is that the sleepimage is not being written correctly before the battery fails. I have calibrated it, but it still tends to shut down unpredictably at about 10-15 minutes of battery life.
Any ideas on what's going on here?
Is there a separate battery that maintains the time clock that may have failed?
Thanks. My machine is a 1.67 powerbook with Leopard.

zipperzap
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2007, 03:08 PM

www tropicalglen com
You can use this to see if it might be true - maybe it IS 1969 - not a bad year, as I recall!
Scott

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2007, 04:52 PM

Thank you Zipper, I'm pretty sure it is not 1969, but that's a fun site.

Cold Warrior
Dec 22, 2007, 05:10 PM

Weird.

I think there's a tiny battery on the motherboard that maintains certain system settings, but those things usually last a very long time.

Have you tried resetting PRAM? Maybe there's a parameter setting that's become corrupted, which would otherwise correctly govern the image and time setting.

ibook_steve
Dec 22, 2007, 11:12 PM

On a Powerbook, the PRAM settings are only maintained long enough to swap batteries without having to shut down. If the battery dies, you will lose your date and time settings after a few minutes. On an MBP, I don't think you would ever have this issue.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2007, 01:11 AM

I tried resetting the PRAM, but I think Steve may have the solution - if my battery is getting elderly this could be the cause?

Cipher13
Jan 17, 2008, 12:58 AM

After applying the recent keyboard fix, my machine started doing this. Basically, it wouldn't enter a real sleep state - it'd just shut the screen off and keep running. Who knows what kind of long-term damage this caused to my machine and/or battery, but in the end, the logic board needed to be replaced.

Make sure that your machine is actually sleeping. Is it hot when you go to wake it up?

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 01:11 PM

I'll check.... Thanks.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 04:32 PM

This happens on my Pismo because the internal battery is dead. Now I do my best to avoid letting the battery be completely drained while asleep.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

Forum Links
Forum Rules