Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Australia ends war on Iraq

Australia ends war on Iraq
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 01:13 PM

ABC News: Australia Ends Iraq Combat Operations

"Prime Minister Kevin Rudd, who was swept into office in November largely on the promise that he would bring home the country's 550 combat troops by the middle of 2008. Rudd has said the Iraq deployment made Australia more of a target for terrorism."

'Rudd's predecessor, former Prime Minister John Howard, said he was "baffled" by the decision to withdraw the troops. "If I had been returned at the last election we would not have been bringing (troops) home"'

Presumably, that was why he was not returned at the last election...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
"Rudd has said the Iraq deployment made Australia more of a target for terrorism."

And I'm a monkey's uncle.

Presumably, that was why he was not returned at the last election...

What? You mean this decision was based on politics?

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
And I'm a monkey's uncle.
Well that explains a lot.
What? You mean this decision was based on politics?
We call it 'democracy'. Governments being responsive to populations not wanting war-crimes committed in their name.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 01:46 PM

Well that explains a lot.

Monkeys have tails.

I'm clearly a baboon. Back to school for you.

We call it 'democracy'. Governments being responsive to populations not wanting war-crimes committed in their name.

Hmmm. He didn't mention war crimes. He'd probably lose his job if he did. More democracy in action I guess.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 01:56 PM

Good timing, now that the we have turned the corner in Iraq.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Good timing, now that the we have turned the corner in Iraq.

I'm not sure if you're joking here or not, but assuming you're not...

Even as someone who fervently believes we need to stick things out in Iraq for as long as it takes, I've heard the above statement so many times that at this point it's going to take far more than being true to convince me.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 02:32 PM

It's the faith based approach the current administration favors. Facts get in the way of their fervent beliefs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 02:38 PM

Wait, 500 combat troops? 500? Holy cow, there are more Marines from my hometown than there are military personnel from all of Australia. That's 0.4% of what we've got over there. This really doesn't mean that much in practical terms.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 02:43 PM

It's the faith based approach the current administration favors. Facts get in the way of their fervent beliefs.
You need to pay more attention to current events in Iraq. The act of faith is to deny the success that we are finally having there.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 02:52 PM

Good on you Rudd. Now just focus on border control and more selective immigration policies.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 3, 2008 at 11:02 AM. )

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Wait, 500 combat troops? 500? Holy cow, there are more Marines from my hometown than there are military personnel from all of Australia. That's 0.4% of what we've got over there. This really doesn't mean that much in practical terms.
It doesn't mean that much in any terms. It's just another story that someone can use to express their personal anger and negativity.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 03:08 PM

Well, you'll hear nothing but criticism from me about that.

In fact, this has caused more damage than any other factor, by at least an order of magnitude.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 03:14 PM

It doesn't mean that much in any terms. It's just another story that someone can use to express their personal anger and negativity.
In fact, it's just another country getting out from under this disastrous misadventure in the Middle East.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 03:19 PM

You need to pay more attention to current events in Iraq. The act of faith is to deny the success that we are finally having there.

As I said...

As someone who believes we should stay there as long as we need to, I've been lied to so many times that I resent the accusation that I'm wrong (or peeb's wrong) for being skeptical.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 03:30 PM

As I said...

As someone who believes we should stay there as long as we need to, I've been lied to so many times that I resent the accusation that I'm wrong (or peeb's wrong) for being skeptical.
Well you have that right, but isn't being skeptical in the face of facts and evidence exactly on par with what you all are accusing the administration of?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 03:32 PM

Well you have that right, but isn't being skeptical in the face of facts and evidence exactly on par with what you all are accusing the administration of?

That would depend on what facts and evidence I was familiar with.

What I'm trying to get at here is rather than behave as if "no it isn't" will suffice in the warranted atmosphere of skepticism, present some facts and evidence.

art_director
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 05:02 PM

Chalk up one more government smarter than our own. They're out, we're in for the long haul and we, the American taxpayer, will foot the bill for George's Little Adventure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules