Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Now it can be told...

Now it can be told...
bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 11:21 AM

Slightly off topic I suppose (after all, it only runs in Windows but it was created on a Mac in OSX), just one of the many projects that have been stealing time away from my first OSX theme (mere days away from its own preview if I can ever get those days in)...

The official Terminator3 WindowsMediaPlayer skin I did with Skinsfactory (I just push the pixels - they make it work) is getting rave reviews on the big Windows customization sites:

http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.as...y=9&skinid=234

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/1839319

Not sure that the stills do it justice - it's got some cool startup and runtime animations, but like all WMP skins it's windows only and for some bizarre reason is stuck with a 1-bit mask. Took 8 weeks all-told to sketch up, create vector masks, airbrush, assemble and animate... Ironic that I'll never see it up and running myself, I guess.

( Last edited by bbxstudio; May 6, 2003 at 06:38 PM. )

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 11:24 AM

looks killer... any chance of an audion port?

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 11:51 AM

Originally posted by codywalton:
looks killer... any chance of an audion port?
Nope (not my call unfortunately)... I myself am waiting for the next big revision of Audion (one that supports true runtime animations beyond the digits and net indicators) before I start doing more Audion skins. To be 100% honest, although I LOVE making Audion skins and find them fun to use, I mostly live in iTunes these days.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2003, 11:53 AM

Why the hell is this here?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2003, 12:10 PM

Amazing design! The reflection looks very realistic

p.h..i...l....
Forum Regular
May 6, 2003, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:
you haven�t read his post, have you?

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 12:32 PM

Fair question - I guess it's just to show that Mac GUI guys can get props from the 'dark side' and that one can turn a hobby into a profitable commercial edeavour. It's still GUI-related and it was actually created in OSX, so it sort of slips in under the wire I suppose. What are you, the forum police? ;p

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 12:42 PM

it's a gui design made by a well-known mac/win gui designer.... i think the gui customization forum is the proper place for it.

nooch.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 01:10 PM

Here's a zoom of the startup sequence as well (apologies to dial-up users - I'll edit it out if it's slowing people down drastically):

Now all we need is the ability to incorporate runtime anims into Aqua interface elements Weeee!

Phazer80s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
Now all we need is the ability to incorporate runtime anims into Aqua interface elements Weeee!
Your interface is excellent, William. Congrats! The luminescence and polish fit the style perfectly. For us designers, it's nice to read the interface was the product of a lot of hard work, not something you 'whipped up last night over a few Timbits.' Your attention to detail shows.

Despite the skin's graphics were created in OS X, it's really sad that Windows has become the hotspot for cutting-edge GUI design. It's like you've grown some sweet produce that can't be consumed in it's own country.

Will Panther open up OS X to GUI designers?
Still waiting for the day LAUNCH.COM allows OS X users to view it's precious videos.

G4 733 Digital Audio
1 Gig GForce 2MX

kingskel
Forum Regular
May 6, 2003, 01:36 PM

Sir! That is impressive. Congratulations on your skills and efforts.

milhouse
Senior User
May 6, 2003, 01:45 PM

bbx, damn fine work!!

"-Dodge This"

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 02:20 PM

Great work!! I use Maya for my modeling(not for gui work though) and ive got to say thats some cool modeling.

Keep up the great work, lets just hope that future versions of OSX allow more freedom in the theming area.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

swiz
GUI Punk
May 6, 2003, 02:25 PM

Although I prefer simplistic looking interfaces for the apps I use, your talent and execution of this look is undeniable. Very rad!

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 02:28 PM

Make an Audion face of it!!!!
click one

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 02:43 PM

Haha I guessed it right!

BTW... god damn that looks nice. I'm wondering if your theme will look anything like this?

Cerbero
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 02:59 PM

Wow that's.. Just incredible. Your attention to details really shows. Great job!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 03:21 PM

Am I the only one who wants the Winodws Media player 9 for Mac OS X? Even if our OS looks nicer, our apps are more ugly than a lot of Winodws apps. Where are skins for iTunes?!
click one

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 05:01 PM

Whoa.

Very nice.
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

gdiddy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 05:07 PM

Do you think this "Earning a Living" excuse will make us forgive you for not getting your newest theme finished? Not even providing us with screenshots?

Oh, next we'll hear about the wife and baby!

Billy, this whole money/family life thing is slowing you down! Where is the Mackarana theme?
Michael: Hasn't everything been sort of discovered now by like Magellan and Cortez?

Buster: Oh, yeah yeah, those guys did a pretty good job.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 05:37 PM

I'm wondering if your theme will look anything like this?

Do you think this "Earning a Living" excuse will make us forgive you for not getting your newest theme finished? Not even providing us with screenshots?
The new theme (it's called MIRAI now, I'll have updated teasers and previews soon) doesn't look like this (the high contrast here wouldn't work for a system-wide UI), but the attention to detail and overall polish are even more anal... you'll see - it'll be worth waiting for.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 05:44 PM

I want MIRAI and new skins for Aution!!! I hate the Mac Windows Media player, I want 9 ported to Mac.

I've been looking forward to you're next theme ever since I got OS X when it first cameout.
click one

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 05:52 PM

Wow - thanks for the props guys I'm really pumped now... giving me lots of steam to pour into the new theme. Thanks again for all the positive feedback - I really am touched.

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2003, 06:01 PM

Wow! Quality work right there.

Really looking forward to the preview of your theme.

allap
Forum Regular
May 6, 2003, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Make an Audion face of it!!!!
He probably can't because the T3 skin was made for and thus belongs to Warner Bros (or whatever company paid him). right?

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 08:22 PM

He could ask them about making an official Audion face too... That shouldn't be a problem since it's free for download as a promo for the movie.
click one

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 6, 2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by allap:
He probably can't because the T3 skin was made for and thus belongs to Warner Bros (or whatever company paid him). right?
Correct - it's not mine to port... I was hired by a company called SkinsFactory to provide the art, they did the coding and selling. The movie studio owns it and they've got an exclusive deal (I'd imagine) with Microsoft. It's locked up tight, I can't even distribute it - only show it as a portfolio piece. So no Audion skin unfortunately.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 08:53 PM

NOOO!!! There's no way to get it on a Mac! That's not fair!
Maybe you can make it up to us though in you're new theme? You said somthing about new skins with MIRAI didn't you?
click one

smeger
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 10:43 PM

Wow - that's some seriously beautiful work! Nice job!
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

x user
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 11:06 PM

Wow, i'm not much into the 'complicated' look. But I have to repect the artwork that went into that. How much you get paid for that? By the hour or job?

n8x
May 6, 2003, 11:19 PM

That is the most elaborate and insane skin I have ever seen! Heh, I upgraded my VPC to WinXP so i could try this out.. The little animations are gorgeous, and I love the whole opening effect. Amazing peice of work, I can't wait to see your fabled Mirai, BBX!
( Last edited by n8x; May 6, 2003 at 11:29 PM. )

intastella
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 12:40 AM

I love the skin, especially how in the initial "unlocking", the texture rotates but not the lighting. Is it really the texture rotating? I can't actually tell what I'm seeing moving on the surface.

Also, what was the theory/idea behind the secondary "iris" opening? The straight joints morph into curved surfaces as they pull away. Is that based on the liquid metal Terminator? If so, why not push the liquid metal aspect in the animation?

I think it is a really invintive approach, just wondering what the thinking behind it was. Don't get me wrong, it's brilliant.

Don

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by intastella:
I love the skin, especially how in the initial "unlocking", the texture rotates but not the lighting. Is it really the texture rotating? I can't actually tell what I'm seeing moving on the surface.
Also, what was the theory/idea behind the secondary "iris" opening? The straight joints morph into curved surfaces as they pull away. Is that based on the liquid metal Terminator? If so, why not push the liquid metal aspect in the animation?
Don
The idea is that the reflections and lighting wouldn't move on a totally reflective surface as it travels along a continuous plane (as you slide a mirror from side to side, the reflection remains stationary - only here the mirror is the curved plates of the iris gliding across the surface of the glass). The second anomaly you mention was unintentional - the iris is the only 3D element in the whole thing (it was originally airbrushed but it turned out I would have to airbrush over 80 frames individually so I faked it in Form?Z/Strata and ran it through a series of post-rendered actions in Photoshop to make it match the airbrushed main body)... the iris is actually made up of segmented 'cups' or hemispheres - the straight edges look curved as they slide away because they're sliding around the curved surface of the glass, the effect is exaggerated because the cup assembly scale was decreased along the depth axis prior to rendering so that the lighting and environmental gradient were as consistent as possible with the pre-existing airbrushed elements. Complicated, but you asked

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2003, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by x user:
Wow, i'm not much into the 'complicated' look. But I have to repect the artwork that went into that. How much you get paid for that? By the hour or job?
Confidential of course, but seeing as it took 8 weeks (not steady but close) to pump out everything, it would have to be per job and not hourly (otherwise I'd be rolling in the dough).

If you're asking because you want to know if it's possible to make a living from this sort of thing, I'd say it's very possible but it doesn't pay out as well as illustration or photography does because there's no rights transferred or usage attached (the copyright laws regarding interface design are stupid that way). Pays out about the same as straight print or web design does, I guess.

iconizer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 09:10 AM

Really Amazing!!!

I'mDaMac
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 02:16 PM

The design is awesome. What was your inspiration for the design? Would you mind sharing the technique you used to design this and which programs you used?

Great work.
Who'sDaMac?

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by I'mDaMac:
The design is awesome. What was your inspiration for the design? Would you mind sharing the technique you used to design this and which programs you used?

Great work.
Thanks! - the design was inspired by top-secret pics supplied by the movie studio of what the female terminator's head looks like with all the skin off (gasp!)... it's 99% Photoshop, started out with tiny thumbnail sketches, blew one up and fleshed it out with mechanical pencils, scanned that and used it as a template in illustrator to build vector masks (lots of pathfinder booleans in there), brought those into Photoshop and started airbrushing - Photoshop file (just for the metal surfacing) topped out at 216 layers, merged that, did some tonal adjustments and then started building in controls and animations - the screen and startup iris sequence were built in seperate files and composited later. All told the final optimized file I supplied for coding had over 600 layers! Each animation frame for each element has it's own numbered and masked layer... it almost drove me insane.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 03:34 PM

Wow crazy.
click one

wreks
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 04:12 PM

you've already got plenty of praise so..

[enter devil's advocate mode]
It definitely looks cool, but I don't think it's good design... what's the point of all that metal, does it do anything or is it just there for looks? Form should follow function, right? You've got a lot of form that doesn't have any function.

Spatially, the eye candy part is taking up more room than functional part. Maybe you could have incorporated the buttons into some intuitive places within the metal, rather than cramming them all in the center. As is I'd have a hard time finding the right button to push. That's my critique, it looks cool but I don't think it would be easy to use. I couldn't do it without looking.

Of course my itunes controller is synergy, I don't even use an interface just the keyboard commands. So who am I to say anthing?

KoL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 04:58 PM

WOW thats awesome bbxstudio

daftpig
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 05:17 PM

I know I hardly post.

But... I must say I haven't set my eyes on something as beautiful as this for a long long time!

Great work... you pple always keep me happy.

EDIT: I wonder when I can, if ever, get to such a level of design proficiency. I'm not formally trained.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 07:06 PM

Excellent work bbx. I am truley jealous that I cannot get this for OS X. But this also just makes me want your new theme even more. Keep up the great work! And get paid!

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 10:27 PM

fhqwhgads!!!!!!!!!

That is so so so awesome

i am really jealous of your awesome work, that isr ealyl really really really NICE

makre more thingies like that!

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 11:30 PM

That looks really cool! Is there any way someone can post a quicktime capture of what the animations look like in motion for those of us that don't have any access to Windoze computers (or have no administrative access to work computers and are thus unable to install anything at all on them).

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

bbxstudio  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by wreks:
you've already got plenty of praise so..

[enter devil's advocate mode]
It definitely looks cool, but I don't think it's good design... what's the point of all that metal, does it do anything or is it just there for looks? Form should follow function, right? You've got a lot of form that doesn't have any function.

Spatially, the eye candy part is taking up more room than functional part. Maybe you could have incorporated the buttons into some intuitive places within the metal, rather than cramming them all in the center. As is I'd have a hard time finding the right button to push. That's my critique, it looks cool but I don't think it would be easy to use. I couldn't do it without looking.

Of course my itunes controller is synergy, I don't even use an interface just the keyboard commands. So who am I to say anthing?
They're all good points - one of these cases of a client fixating on something early on to such an extent that attempts to address the issues you mention proved impossible once the ball got rolling. Besides, these things are pure eye-candy - an attempt (that seems to work) to call attention to the source property or promotion. I'm generally much more anal about form vs. function myself

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2003, 11:54 PM

Wow, that is amazingly cool.

Now back to themes for you!
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Forum Links
Forum Rules