Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 2 Displays on a G4

2 Displays on a G4
iconizer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2003, 02:27 PM

Hi,

I have a New G4 Dual 1Ghz. And I would like to know if it's possible to connect 2 VGA Displays to expand my desktop...

Is it possible to do that with just the Built-in Video Card? Or I'll have to buy another one?

If I have to buy a second Video Card... which one you think it's best?

Thanks!
wes

guilliamo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2003, 03:13 PM

To help answer your question, need to know what video card your machine shipped with. I know Apple advertises that the newest towers support two digital displays, but would have to research the two analog (SVGA) display question.

Regardless of what video card you have now, adding a PCI video card is a good option...avoids sharing the VRAM on your AGP card, even IF it is dual display capable.

I'm currently running three SVGA displays on a Quicksilver 867, using an ATI Radeon 8500 AGP (an excellent dual-head card) and an ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card for the third display.

If you are not adverse to flashing a PeeCee ATI Radeon 7000 PCI, the PeeCee cards are cheap..info at <http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...ht=radeon+7000>. Two important by-the-ways: Stick with a made-by-ATI card (or another card that has been PROVEN successful), and go for a 32MB card to avoid wake from deep sleep video corruption in OSX.

G

iconizer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2003, 03:35 PM

Well... the Video Card I have is a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro (64Mb). It has a DVI and an ADC connectors...

In the User's Guide they say it's possible to connect 2 displays but didn't say nothing about what kind of displays...

If it was finally possible, I'll need a ADC to VGA adapter... Does that exist?

wes

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 8, 2003, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by iconizer:
Well... the Video Card I have is a ATI Radeon 9000 Pro (64Mb). It has a DVI and an ADC connectors...

In the User's Guide they say it's possible to connect 2 displays but didn't say nothing about what kind of displays...

If it was finally possible, I'll need a ADC to VGA adapter... Does that exist?

wes
Yes. Search the Apple store, I believe they sell one. It's hella expensive though, for some reason.

iconizer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2003, 04:14 PM

Hahaaaa...

I found it.... THANKS...

But it's not so expensive: $39 (DR. BOTT)

I found another adapter from Griffin Technology for just 29.90...

It looks like it's kinda possible to do it finally.

wes

Forum Links
Forum Rules