Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] ShapeShifter 1.2

[ANN] ShapeShifter 1.2
smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 09:59 AM

Themies!

Unsanity and Geekspiff are proud to announce the release of ShapeShifter 1.2. It's been about two months in the making, and it's a pretty big update.

Without further ado, lemme quote Phill Ryu of MacThemes on the highlighted new features:

The 1.2 update brings several other key features that improve the user's experience considerably. The loading of kits has been greatly sped up, resulting in perhaps a 99% reduction in load time on this machine. Metal textures are now properly applied, fixing a long standing bug, and ShapeShifter also adds special links that allow users to download guiKits from within the application with a single click from their web browser. iTunes style built-in file management is now enabled, and there is support for .theme, for those interested in installing themes designed for 10.1 and before. In other words, users should be extremely happy with this huge update.
Also, bundled with the release are Swiz's excellent update to SimpleX and jGraphics' spiffy update to Digital Device. These both take advantage of ShapeShifter's new integrated app skins.

Dig in, try it out! ShapeShifter 1.2

For the theme creators, I'll be releasing the ThemePark 1.3 update later today that supports the new app skins, and also has a few other nice goodies.
( Last edited by smeger; Mar 16, 2004 at 11:08 AM. )
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

phillryu
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 10:05 AM

Stay right there! I'll post the ThemePark update news for you, because your post count is seriously 1337!

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

badidea
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2004, 10:18 AM

Yeeehaaa, I can go back to Brushed!

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 10:33 AM

Built in Safari and iChat themes! Awesome.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 10:36 AM

Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 10:55 AM

Sweet! I like having the Brushed texture back, and the auto-loading of Safari skins is a nice touch, though it didn't work 100% of the time.

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by MacDog:
Sweet! I like having the Brushed texture back, and the auto-loading of Safari skins is a nice touch, though it didn't work 100% of the time.
Themes need to be updated in order to automatically include the app skins. As of this particular minute, only SimpleX, GarageBand, and Digital Device have been.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 11:20 AM

And all of these things will be included in the new Themepark, right? :O Oh joyous day! If 1.2 brought all of this, one can only imagine what 1.5 will bring. :O :O :O :O :O

Xtender is gonna have to work hard to beat out this baby.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 11:21 AM

Hmm, how can I say this...?

I love you guys

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 11:49 AM

smeger, The safari skins don' t install for me (talking about simple X theme and the updated digital device) .
Yes, I did reverse to the default skin with safaricon
and yes I did log out..
Is there something I missed ?

Also, The iChat skin is installed only for simple X..

help..

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 11:53 AM

cool!
does this mean that I can delete iChat-themer and SafarIcon?

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 12:44 PM

oooooooooooooo, very nice.

iamnotmad
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 01:03 PM

Does it allow changing of finder column view colors? (please!) Either by user or by theme?
Thanks.

FB Eye
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 01:09 PM

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2004, 01:13 PM

Hmm, Great update but...

Every time I apply a theme iSync launches and syncs for me....

I have an iPod plugged in and .Mac setup to sync.

-Owl

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Patcarla:

Also, The iChat skin is installed only for simple X..

help..
Safari skins install fine for me, but I'm having the same problem with the iChat skins. Only SimpleX installs.

-Jason

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 01:47 PM

Ok guys! Time to crank out Safari skins and iChat skins, and well everything skins, and update your themes!
click one

memento
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by iamnotmad:
Does it allow changing of finder column view colors? (please!) Either by user or by theme?
Thanks.
ditto on that question.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

u2zoo
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 01:55 PM

heh, any minute now I expect brazil to post his "NEOS UPDATED" announcement. (not a slam on you brazil... if there's one thing I can count on per week it is a NEOS update.)

dole
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 02:31 PM

Nice update smeger! I found a bug but it could possibly just be me. I installed the SimpleX theme that came bundled with ShapeShifter and had the Restart Menu Extras after applying checked off, but after I install the theme, the menu extras still retains the look of default aqua. After the theme is installed and if I kill SystemUIServer myself, the menu extras get the color of SimpleX until I logout and they go back to the default aqua.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by u2zoo:
heh, any minute now I expect brazil to post his "NEOS UPDATED" announcement. (not a slam on you brazil... if there's one thing I can count on per week it is a NEOS update.)
Hope does the iTuns theme in the .guiKit that would rock.
click one

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Hmm, Great update but...

-Owl
That's because it relaunches the Finder when you apply a theme.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 04:02 PM

It also relaunches menu extras.

Hay how does everyone like the fast loading of your themes? Sure is a lot better now.
click one

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 04:04 PM

Excellent job mate, it really impresses me how "stupid" friendly you make stuff. I never have to think when I use your software and I like that tbh

Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 05:12 PM

What if I don't want the Safari theme that the GuiKit installed? And where did SS store my themes? Within itself? And I don't see this button that allows us to download themes from the net.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

dws
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
What if I don't want the Safari theme that the GuiKit installed? And where did SS store my themes? Within itself? And I don't see this button that allows us to download themes from the net.
It's the same thing as saying, "What if I don't want Aqua Finder buttons?" A theme will be whatever the theme creator desires it to be. To ask Unsanity to allow users to pick and choose specific elements within a guiKit is probably too much to ask. For myself, I'm thrilled that more apps are able to be included in the guiKit.

Themes are now stored in ~/Library/Application Support/ShapeShifter guiKits

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 05:42 PM

iPod handling is handled by the SystemUIServer. Whenever it sees an iPod, it syncs (with the pref set). SS quits SUIS when applying themes. If you do not like it. You can turn the option off in SS.

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
Hmm, Great update but...

-Owl

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by dole:
Nice update smeger! I found a bug but it could possibly just be me. I installed the SimpleX theme that came bundled with ShapeShifter and had the Restart Menu Extras after applying checked off, but after I install the theme, the menu extras still retains the look of default aqua. After the theme is installed and if I kill SystemUIServer myself, the menu extras get the color of SimpleX until I logout and they go back to the default aqua.
You have snapz installed which quits SUIS and SS thinks it crashed so it stops affecting the SUIS.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Rosyna:
iPod handling is handled by the SystemUIServer. Whenever it sees an iPod, it syncs (with the pref set). SS quits SUIS when applying themes. If you do not like it. You can turn the option off in SS.
Ok, never had my iPod in when using it before. No big deal, just noticed it when using a new version

-Owl

iamnotmad
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
While have so far always applied the safari theme when avail, I totally agree with this. There could easily be a checkbox or some mechanism to remove the app theming when applying a theme.

And I beleive it is completely different than what dws is saying. totally different idea.

Any answer on the changing finder column view colors?

Thanks.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 06:04 PM

OK..I've already posted that but Am I the only one here who doesn't get the safari skin installed?? any idea anyone?

dole
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2004, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Rosyna:
You have snapz installed which quits SUIS and SS thinks it crashed so it stops affecting the SUIS.
Thanks for the reply Rosyna. I deleted Snapz and applied the iStyle theme and everything changed as expected. When I tried to apply the SimpleX theme, everything but the menu extras changed. So this might be a problem with the theme itself.

natey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2004, 07:07 PM

I was using Smoothstripes when I update SS. Apparently, the brushed metal is back in the theme. Probably just because SS 1.2 handles brushed metal differently?

mac15
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 10:52 PM

It now can display metal textures. I'm impressed myself, not a bug in sight for me

zachs
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 10:56 PM

Very, very nice update. Now when are themers gonna start posting gui:// links so we can download themes directly to ShapeShifter?

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
Very, very nice update. Now when are themers gonna start posting gui:// links so we can download themes directly to ShapeShifter?
When they stop including extras . Nice trick, but I'm not sure I fully get this feature. I don't exactly see it replacing goodie-packed disk images as the distribution method of choice. At least not for the big guys.

Appskins are absolutely incredible. The fact that Rhapsodized skins iTunes makes me want to throw a ShapeShifter party at school tomorrow. I knew this feature had to be coming sometime. I mean, if you can do it to the OS resources, why not individual apps, but this is dang slick.

Love the iTunes-esque organization features, as well as the faster load times.

I would have gladly paid an upgrade fee for this update. This is astounding.

And now you've got me excited again about themes. If I weren't in such desperate need of sleep, I'd definitely be Photoshopping right now. So for now, good night, and thanks loads for all your hard work. Keep it up!

mac15
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 11:19 PM

Well now that SS supports app skins, distrubting just a guikit is fine. Unless ofcourse you include desktops and icons

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 11:28 PM

I been on the floor since I updated . This is an extreme improvement . I used to kinda dread changing themes cause of the process but now - it is very very fast . The fact that it extends into other apps has left me a bit giddy . I won't soon recover . Thanks Unsanity for scads of fun . It has been getting better and better . Just think of what is to come . To all of you over there in Unsanityville - You are a marvelous Company and crew . You have my charter support .
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

zachs
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by rhythmicmoose:
When they stop including extras . Nice trick, but I'm not sure I fully get this feature. I don't exactly see it replacing goodie-packed disk images as the distribution method of choice. At least not for the big guys.

Appskins are absolutely incredible. The fact that Rhapsodized skins iTunes makes me want to throw a ShapeShifter party at school tomorrow. I knew this feature had to be coming sometime. I mean, if you can do it to the OS resources, why not individual apps, but this is dang slick.

Love the iTunes-esque organization features, as well as the faster load times.

I would have gladly paid an upgrade fee for this update. This is astounding.

And now you've got me excited again about themes. If I weren't in such desperate need of sleep, I'd definitely be Photoshopping right now. So for now, good night, and thanks loads for all your hard work. Keep it up!
I copied the iStyle guiKit to my server just to test it out. Here's what happens:

JudieKaren
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2004, 12:45 AM

Can we *lose* SafarIcon now?

Thanks!
JudieKaren

zachs
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by JudieKaren:
Can we *lose* SafarIcon now?

Thanks!
Well, there are some Safari themes that aren't included with regular themes.
Also, many themes have not been updated to include their Safari themes within the guiKit itself.

So I'd keep it until those themes are updated.

JudieKaren
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by zachs:
Well, there are some Safari themes that aren't included with regular themes.
Also, many themes have not been updated to include their Safari themes within the guiKit itself.

So I'd keep it until those themes are updated.
Thank you!
JudieKaren

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2004, 08:52 AM

Now the real question is... when is ShapeShifter going to do Icons and Desktops

memento
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2004, 09:37 AM

so it looks like a nogo on changing finder column colors. At least from a user's perspective. I couldn't find anything.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

dru
Senior User
Mar 17, 2004, 07:05 PM

I still can't try it. Ever since I installed ShapeShifter 1.0 way back and uninstalled it when I decided it wasn't for me at that time, I cannot try later versions. I always get a notice of "Demo expired" after installing.

When 1.1 was out, I complained. It's still not fixed.

Way to grow your user base.

I'm not sure what's worse, ShapeShifter / theme creator collusion or that other thing just released as beta which after the installer was supposedly fixed still didn't show any themes.

Among Unsanity's wares, I own WindowShade, Silk, XSound and MightMouse. I'm *NOT* happy I can't try ShapeShifter.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

Forum Links
Forum Rules