Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What's your favorite browser?

What's your favorite browser?
huxbnw
May 11, 2004, 06:49 AM

So what is it? Safari, Mozilla, Opera, IE (please no), Netscape? And what version? Are they all basically the same, or does one stand out?

ambush
Banned
May 11, 2004, 06:56 AM

I like OmniWeb 5.

But I'm using Camino right now.

I like Safari too. Just not fond of BrushedMetal stuff.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
May 11, 2004, 07:50 AM

I like Safari a lot.
I have to use Firefox for Ebay though.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

ryju
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 07:51 AM

I like Safari but when I go to Deviantart or spymac I use Firefox

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 07:53 AM

I use Safari with SAFT and CSS Ad-blocking (and I've removed the brushed metal with Metallifizer)

However, when the "Aquafication release" of Firefox is avaliable, I'll probably use that instead..

Yzma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 08:01 AM

Safari on the faster dp PowerMac, but Firefox on the 700ghz iMac because Safari bogs down like mad on it. I would much prefer to use Safari altogether, but it is just not working out that way.
I, and I alone, get the fluffy kind.

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 08:01 AM

I use Opera as my default, back up browsers are Safari, Camino, IE, and Omniweb.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2004, 09:04 AM

I've been using iCab for some time now, as it offers the kind of control that I want (javascript filters ) that I haven't found anywhere else (although I haven't really been looking). The main problem with iCab is compatibility, so I use Safari as a second browser for the pages iCab can't view.

I've been considering a newer browser like Firefox, hoping it would give me both control and compatibility, but I haven't tried it yet...

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2004, 09:08 AM

You may want to try either Opera 7.50 or Omniweb they offer great control too... iCab is a good choice too, although no CSS support

dole
Forum Regular
May 11, 2004, 09:38 AM

I mainly use Camino, but I will use Firefox sometimes.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 10:01 AM

I like OmniWeb 5. I'm also excited about Camino. I just hope that they hurry up and release version 1.0 (as of now, it's still at 0.7, but I hear that 0.8 is suppose to be really good). I've found that after using OmniWeb 5 it's somewhat harder to go back to Safari.

mindwaves
May 11, 2004, 10:21 AM

I like Safari for overall consistency. I do use Camino 0.7 nightly ocassionally (very rare).

JKT
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 10:53 AM

OmniWeb5 by a very long way. I find Safari painful to use afterwards because it is so basic. Moz and its various offshoots lack too many core OS X features for me, primarily support for Services, and they all suffer from a 'not really designed for OS X' feel to me.

In OS 9, iCab was my favourite owing to the depth of features it offered (which is probably why I like OW now) and I still miss a few such as the ability to suck down entire websites, etc., but I just can't get used to the hack-ish feeling of the OS X version. FWIW, although OW lacks the depth of the Javascript filtering offered by iCab, it does have site specific preferences (i.e you can have different preferences for different domains) which allows you to e.g. block javascript at domains of your choice and leave it active at others.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 11:01 AM

I use Safari 99% of the time. For some reason, the WebLogic 8.1 administration console doesn't render in Safari though (it shows as plain text and displays the tags), so I use FireFox for that. If I encounter any other sites that won't work in Safari, FireFox is my backup.

I also use FireFox on my PC at work.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2004, 12:40 PM

OmniWeb 5. After using the latest beta which is quick and stable I can barely stand to use other browsers.

-matt

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2004, 04:33 PM

iCab and Netscape, yes, I know...

RevEvs
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 05:37 PM

The Omniweb 5 gimmic kinda wore off, and then i went back to my usual Safari (like the bookmark syncing), but tried out the camino build with the new tabs n realised that its really fast n im really liking it..

so at the moment im on Camino... I change a lot tho..

revs
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by huxbnw:
So what is it? Safari, Mozilla, Opera, IE (please no), Netscape? And what version? Are they all basically the same, or does one stand out?
A nigthly build of Camino. It's fast efficient and support web standards. It uses less memory than mozilla adn does a quite good job. Plus it runs on Mac os X 10.1.5 up to today's current OS release.

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
May 13, 2004, 06:26 AM

Well, Safari USED to be my favorite browser until I tried THIS TEST.

(you can find my result on the FlopFive list. I had the 4th worst result ever!)

The latest Camino-nightly however, completed the entire test in only 10secs, so it is hereby my new favorite browser!

Long live the Gecko!

(btw: remember to turn off popup-blocking before taking the test, or it will freeze.)

larkost
Mac Elite
May 13, 2004, 09:49 AM

brutal: While it is an interesting test of JavaScript, there are a few things to consider:

Speed of JavaScript rarely has much impact on browsing. These are excessive test cases.

Camino is faster, but on the animation tests on my system I only got 2 frames. That is both on the image change test and the moving objects test. That was 2 frames in 4 seconds. In other tests (OmniWeb) it took longer by a few seconds, but I saw all of the frames.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2004, 10:15 AM

I go back and forth between Safari and Firefox.

On Firefox's side, it's got better standards support (though not by much, admittedly) and excellent extensibility.

Safari has better Mac integration and bookmark management, however, and it also has the ultimate why-the-heck-didnt-they-think-of-it-sooner feature: the bug button. Seriously; that thing is a stroke of genius.

Currently I'm working with Firefox; I'm thinking of trying my hand at writing an extension similar to Safari's bug button. I think it would be a great help in nailing some of the remaining rendering problems.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2004, 11:49 AM

Firefox. Although the recent nightlies have been pretty buggy.

cpac
Professional Poster
May 13, 2004, 12:50 PM

Omniweb 5.

and for the rare instances when it doesn't work, the latest Camino .8 release
cpac

yukon
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 11:21 PM

iCab, but it's getting old, and other browsers are catching up. The lack of CSS and standards compliance means that many websites are made really difficult to read.

I like Firefox, i use it on other platforms. Still a lot of room to improve, but it renders most everything correctly, it's fast, and it's under heavy development. Add a lot more functionality to AdBlock, and a real download manager, and you've got the ideal iCab right there.

I've still got Camino and Safari on the dock though. Camino just looks too cool to toss.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 14, 2004, 11:51 PM

...the monthly "fave browser" thread...

mostly i use safari, but omniweb and firefox get used for anything safari chokes on. have not tried the new camino yet though.....perhaps that will change my prefs.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 15, 2004, 01:47 AM

Another vote for Omniweb 5.

akkeri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2004, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by huxbnw:
I use Opera 7.50. It takes a little tweaking, but then it's great. It handles tabbed browser windows really well, is stable, fast, and has more cool, geek-inclined options than any other browser. On top of all that, it manages to maintain a really user-friendly interface.

The main drawback is the ad banner, of course.

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2004, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by akkeri:

The main drawback is the ad banner, of course.
This one, can be removed quite eassely. Plus by removing the ad you're giving Opera what it needs to release a better browser in 8.0 : Money.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2004, 07:26 AM

Opera!!!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2004, 11:03 AM

Safari and Firefox.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2004, 11:25 AM

Safari: Free and Supported (by an open source project of all things)

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2004, 02:30 PM

How is the unnoficial (sp?)build scene for Firefox? Is is as big as the Windows one? Not that it needs too much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules