Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVR to Mac Question

DVR to Mac Question
travisgw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 12:58 AM

I'm new to mac's. Im attempting to hook up my mac (macbook pro 15") to my DVR cable box to record shows. Im wondering if anyone could point me in the right directions. I've downloaded a program "hacktv" which i believe is what its for. But I'm having trouble hooking to the macbook to the DVR. The DVR I have is a Scientific America Explorer 8300HD. It has a 6pin firewire in the back which i was hoping to just use a firewire w/ 6pin on either side and simply hook it up. It didn't see any connection though.

Can anyone recommend some websites or thoughts on how to get this to work?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2007, 01:22 AM

Two main companies make consumer level TV bridge and tuner products for Mac OS X: Elgato Systems and Miglia. Be aware that some of the products available are not compatible with digital cable.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

pcguy1
Feb 23, 2007, 02:20 AM

Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

travisgw  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 09:07 AM

how is the quality using those? The same as if you played it through your video camera then into the computer?

Ive played it thru the camera but It seemed to lose quality and the sound wasn't nearly as good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules