Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ok, so I want a mac book...

Ok, so I want a mac book...
ashrjordan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2007, 08:47 AM

I really want a macbook for the summer. Im a student graphic designer so I'll want a few of the Adobe applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and a few over basic applications (iLife, Web Browsing). I planned on getting a macbook with Leapard pre-installed once its released in June/July, but I heard it's been pushed back to October. I don't think I can wait untill then, so I was thinking of buying a macbook now and getting leapard put on it later when its released. Does anyone have an idea on how much it would cost?

ghporter
Administrator
May 5, 2007, 09:08 AM

Student price for Tiger, the current version of OS X, is $69. Go to the Apple Store, click on Education and provide the appropriate information about your school, and you are directed to the Education Store. Some prices there are great, others just a bit less than normal.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

pcguy1
May 5, 2007, 10:03 AM

Don't worry, the price of OS upgrade is peanut compare to what you will pay for photoshop, illustrator and in design.
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

shinykaro
Forum Regular
May 16, 2007, 09:41 AM

Following yesterday's updates, you can get the base model MacBook with 2 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM for $999 with your educational discount. Tiger is $69 with the discount, and the Adobe Creative Suite retails at $399 for the whole package. Ain't it great to be a student?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 11:16 AM

I don't know when Leopard will be released, but I do know how it will be spelled...

Stradlater
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I don't know when Leopard will be released, but I do know how it will be spelled...
Chill out, guy.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

tavin64
Forum Regular
May 16, 2007, 05:12 PM

Usually the student discount offered through the school is way cheaper than apple store discount when it comes to software. Last year I got Office 2004 for mac for 27 bucks through my school and my wife got her CS2 Premium for less than 200 bucks. Check with your school first to see if they offer software like office, adobe, and others at discount.

cxjr25
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by tavin64 View Post
Usually the student discount offered through the school is way cheaper than apple store discount when it comes to software. Last year I got Office 2004 for mac for 27 bucks through my school and my wife got her CS2 Premium for less than 200 bucks. Check with your school first to see if they offer software like office, adobe, and others at discount.
I second Tavin on this...alot of students aren't aware of the ridiculous discounts they receive on software through their school.

Peeb, that was funny....mean, but funny

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by cxjr25 View Post
Peeb, that was funny....mean, but funny
I don't mean to be mean, I meant it in a spirit of love.

Forum Links
Forum Rules