Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > font questions

font questions
mattyd
Senior User
Oct 4, 2002, 02:01 PM

1. why do some fonts have a .dfont extension, while others have no extension?

2. is it a bad thing to have multiple versions of fonts loaded? for example: verdana is in both my os x library font folder as well as in the os 9 system folder (and i guess os x uses fonts installed in the os 9 system folder too).

i'm having bad microsoft word crashes and i'm trying to figure out if a bad font or font conflict may be to blame.

Vanquish
Oct 4, 2002, 02:42 PM

I don't think it's a bad thing in the few months I still had OS9 I never had problems with double fonts.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by mattyd:

2. is it a bad thing to have multiple versions of fonts loaded?
In OS 9, multiple fonts of the same IDs were a very bad thing. Quark would crash a lot, and Word had problems too. I no longer let typesetters install their own font sets in OS 9 for that very reason.
Remove duplicate fonts!

kovacs
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 03:37 PM

.dfonts are only used for the system fonts...

Follow these links for more info about fonts; management, types and formats:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/font.html

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...sx_fonts1.html

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...sx_fonts2.html

Macola
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2002, 08:53 PM

Also, watch out if you try to remove system fonts (from /Library/Fonts). I deleted Helvetica (because I had Type 1 Helvetica fonts) and it made several apps very unhappy, including TextEdit and Software Update. Now, I just set Suitcase to ignore system fonts, and all is well.

wallaper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 12:18 AM

How did you get suitcase to actually ignore those system fonts. The suitcase manual says it cant override any fonts that are being used by the os. If you try to turn them off they are grayed out.
I work for a prepress shop and we are having problems with multiple fonts showing in apps like illustrator. We run suitcase 11 with a set or our "permanent fonts" loaded to make sure all the mac operators are running the same basic fonts. now illustrator and other apps are seeing multiple Helveticas, couriers etc...
One from the set we loaded and another from the system/lib/font folder. so far we have found the best answer is to be taking some fonts out of the system folder. Apps like text edit wont run now unless suitcase is running, but it does solve our multiple font issues.
Anyone else?

Wallaper
www.sellyourmac.com
( Last edited by wallaper; Oct 20, 2003 at 12:42 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules