Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Drug Companies HATE it! - The secret to fighting opioids

Drug Companies HATE it! - The secret to fighting opioids
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 18, 2017, 06:57 PM

http://reason.com/blog/2017/10/17/14...ioid-deaths-re
Since legal recreational marijuana sales began in Colorado in January 2014, the state has seen a 6 percent drop in opioid deaths, according to research published in the American Journal of Public Health. The drop follows 14 years of rising opioid deaths, going back to the first year for which the esearchers had data.
The connection between easier access to marijuana and lower opioid deaths has been explored before, however. A 2014 study found that from 1999 to 2010, states that had medical cannabis laws had a nearly 25 percent lower "mean annual opioid overdose mortality rate" than states that prohibited medical cannabis.
This subject makes me irrationally angry. Disregarding puritan concerns and general 'but the kids' hysteria it's been pretty clear for years that marijuana has some serious medical potential that's being retarded by government regulations.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 19, 2017, 01:01 AM

We call them special needs government regulations now.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 19, 2017, 11:46 AM

Differently abled government regulations?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 25, 2017, 04:02 PM

Poll showed a majority of republicans favoring weed legalization for the first time

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Poll showed a majority of republicans favoring weed legalization for the first time
Helps them to not think about having to support Trump.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

reader50
Administrator
Oct 26, 2017, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Got link? I'm not seeing it at the usual places.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2017, 09:18 AM

Marijuana GOP poll got the search job done

reader50
Administrator
Oct 26, 2017, 12:31 PM

As a political story, I check the front page of the Washington Post, as that's presumably what Congress and the Prez read. Nothing on Marijuana there. Also checked the Guardian (US edition) as a cross-reference, again nothing. I don't usually check Fox or CNN as they're less reliable. The story is posted widely, it's odd that WP hid it away.

WP story. bonus: WP story on marijuana cutting opiad deaths. Both are in their blog section.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2017, 12:33 PM

I'm assuming you don't use google?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 26, 2017, 12:42 PM

I usually use DuckDuckGo for greater privacy. But this is a political story, where one hopes others are reading it too. You can google up nearly anything, what's the point of finding a provocative story that only those already persuaded will read?

If Marijuana support has gone mainstream, I read mainstream sources to see if anyone else is seeing it. I would have searched for a tech story.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 26, 2017, 12:58 PM

The main release was from Gallup.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2017, 11:16 PM

I just heard this opioid epidemic is particularly widespread in the midwest. Could the fact that these folks have been off their tits for several years explain why they thought voting for Trump was a good idea?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Oct 27, 2017, 12:29 PM

You could argue that those who are economically depressed are also more likely to seek solace in the power of mild altering drugs?

The NE is also dealing with this.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2017, 02:00 PM

Cannibas farms are ruining the environment?
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...g-environment/m
CBS Local — Marijuana activists may argue that the plant is a natural remedy with many uses, but a new report is claiming that farming the drug has another harmful side-effect: it’s destroying the environment.

Researchers from Ithaca College say that the growing number of small pot farms being planted in remote forest areas are having a major impact on the local environment. The New York team points to forest fragmentation, soil erosion, and landslides as the main side-effects of inserting pot farms into the forest.
45/47

andi*pandi
Nov 2, 2017, 02:08 PM

Are these legit farms or ones people are hiding in the forest and then not really taking care of because fear of getting caught?

I suspect once the farm becomes legit, on their own ground, it is in the best interest of farmer to maintain soil properly etc.

Also that is a horrible website, at least they linked to the original study so no one else has to deal with cbslocal (brrrr). Ithica did the study on 3 California sites. Not exactly comprehensive, but interesting yes.

https://www.ithaca.edu/news/releases...farming-42424/

To answer my own question, the article is from last year, before California legalized pot, so the likelihood these steep forest microfarms were nonlegal. Legal farms would no doubt be different, on flatter land, etc.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2017, 02:11 PM

If they're hiding, how did they get in the study?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
This is an argument to legalize

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2017, 02:40 PM

Or, in the meantime, that cops should hire people with PhDs in agriculture to collar pirate farms.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 2, 2017, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Are these issues specific to farming marijuana? Or would any crop inserted into the forest like that cause the same issues? So the link mentions pot which is enough to bait you into a click and get you riled up?

Forum Links
Forum Rules