Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Firewire strangeness with AC power adapter

Firewire strangeness with AC power adapter
Chris_G
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2002, 12:11 AM

Here is something that has me completely stumped. Any light shed on the situation would be greatly appreciated...

I recently hooked up my bus-powered Firewire hard drive (IBM laptop drive in Oxford 911 case) to my new PowerBook (G4 667 DVI), and had all sorts of problems getting the drive to mount (it took a long time), and copying files (nothing happened... -43 errors among other things). I should mention this all happened when my PowerBook was connected to the AC adapter. Once I disconnected the AC adapter from my PowerBook, everything worked great... the drive mounted almost immediately, file copies were extremely fast. Plug the Book back into the AC adapter... same problems exist. This occurs even when the firewire drive is the only device connected to my PowerBook. I don't know if this happens if you use an externally powered firewire drive... I have hooked up the PowerBook to an external powered FireWire CD-burner... burned a CD with Toast with the power adapter in without any issues... so is this a FireWire bridge issue in the hard drive, or a bus power issue? Any thoughts?I don't personally own one. Anyone have any ideas? What gives?

Just FYI, my firewire drive is from Triumph Technology (http://www.triumphtech.com) and was/is sold by Firewire Depot and PowerBook Zone. The model is the ME-910. If this should be in peripherals, I apologize.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules