Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Its Been Shipped!

Its Been Shipped!
the siren
Jan 19, 2001, 09:57 PM

I ordered my 533 MP G4 on Jan 10th, just after Steve announced them in the keynote. they said it would be 21 business days until it shipped, but i checked today, and it says shipped. thats only 9, count'em ninedays. What was this i heard about the ship time being bumped BACK?

Does anybody know how long it normally takes UPS to deliver? Apple said up to ten days.

<the siren chants singsong> Just a few more days till my G4 comes. Just a few more days till my G4 comes. Just a few more days till my G4 comes. HEHEHEHEHEHeeee.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2001, 10:00 PM

If these PowerMacs are like my PowerBook, then they are built in Taiwan. They take about three days to get to the East Coast once they ship.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Duane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2001, 12:43 AM

My G4/533 Dual shipped today also! I ordered it on Jan. 9, same day as the keynote.

Misha
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2001, 02:02 AM

Note that many CompUSA locations report receiving a handful of both 466 and 533s today as well...

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2001, 04:29 AM

i would really like to buy one now also but all my friends tell me i got a wait for the g5 .i know it is still a while, a big year i think but i think it is gonna be worth waiting.the g4 to g5 is a BIG step forward

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2001, 08:41 AM

IMH we all should come to grips with the fact that the computerbiz is a business with a very fast 'burning' rate. Someone said that a year for this industry consists of 3 months instead of 12.

I mean, won't the G6 be an even bigger leap from the G4? It doesn't make sense to me. Buy one if you need one and wait if you can get by with your current Mac!

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2001, 10:15 AM

If you want or need a tower or a powerbook, buy one now, don't wait.
If you want an iMac, wait for Tokyo.

Only regret I have, is I could use that extra PCI slot

DP500 Gigabit/Radeon - November
bumped 5x mult to 5.5x (548MHz) - December

the siren  (op)
Jan 20, 2001, 08:02 PM

It should be here on tuesday, I can't ait to try it out. I just hope my monitor comes @ the same time. they shipped separately.

I'll let you know when it gets here. Hopefully I'll be posting from it on tuesday.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2001, 07:59 PM

I ordered mine on Saturday... you guys are gonna give me a heartattack in anticipation before I even get to enjoy my dual 533!

BTW, the Apple rep said 134 days for mine to reach destination. 10 days to get outta wearhouse (Texas) then 3 business day shipping. I wanna stick OS X and Lightwave 6 on that puppy and let if fly!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2001, 08:17 PM

Man, you are *right* about that anticipation! I have ordered my single 533 on thursday. Have had problems killing time eversince, hence my hanging round here all the time. Although I have a faint feeling that reading and writing posts is not going to give me the peace to quietly wait for my G4 to arrive. Gotta go and check my pulse now!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2001, 04:08 PM

Oops. That's 13 (thirteen) days, not 134. That might be acurate for the 733s, though.

They need to make an Apple brand pacemaker.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2001, 04:22 PM

My dualG4-533 is with FedEX right now. Its just a few miles away. Only thing is, until they sort it out and get it to me, its just TOO FAR away!

I'm dying here! I ordered mine on Sunday the 14th and I'm getting it in just under 10 days!

Woohoo!

the siren  (op)
Jan 23, 2001, 12:50 PM

My tower came, but no monitor yet, arrrrgggghhhhh.

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2001, 03:18 PM

I ordered a 500MP on the 5th of Jan with a monitor. I got the monitor in a day or two only to be notified that they no longer had the model computer I ordered. They offered an "upgrade" (better computer but more expensive) which I took because I need a new computer and I had brand new monitor already at my house (clever marketing strategy). So, I placed my order for a new 533MP on the 9th, and even with the special code for priority shipment (since my previous order was cancelled) there is still no sign of my new computer. I know they said 21 days, but after hearing all the stories of you guys getting your computers in 8 or 9 days even though you ordered after me irks me. Oh well, at least I will finally be able to get rid of this shitty 7200...

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2001, 03:29 PM

I feel for you. Hang in there, ditching the 7200 will feel so good!

the siren  (op)
Jan 24, 2001, 12:20 AM

Its all here. HAHAHAHA. I'm posting from it right now. its f**king gorgeous. I just need my RAM to come now.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2001, 02:33 AM

Don't ditch your 7200 yet! It's great for a router if you get DSL or a Cable modem. Just snag a copy of IPNetRouter.

oP

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2001, 02:52 AM

Got my 533MP! It ROCKS! Disk throughput is AWESOME! 1GB transferred in less than 2 minutes from a UW drive to the internal IDE drive.

I haven't been able to test any graphics or other abilities yet. Just a quick game of SW Episode I Racer that was silky smooth with all features on. I got the Radeon. I'm not regretting it!

I'll post more concrete numbers and such when I get a chance. The machine comes with 9.1 pre-installed.

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2001, 05:49 AM

I can't take the waiting anymore!

hoelterp
Jan 24, 2001, 01:40 PM

I ordered a BTO 466mhz/Radeon/SCSI the day of the keynote and I'm still waiting for it to ship! Called the Apple Store last night and it looks like I'll be waiting another week until it even ships. So much for the 5-day estimated ship date.

The wait is killing me...

fatty
Jan 24, 2001, 03:26 PM

hoelterp, i'm in the Exact same situation. (except 466/Nvidia/scsi) did they give you any reason as to why the BTO 466's arn't shipping yet?

kidtexas
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2001, 03:51 PM

Must be the scsi card - a lot of people (including me) who have ordered the scsi card addition are still waiting, regardless of computer model. Do any of you who got your 466/533/533MP already order with a scsi card?

hoelterp
Jan 24, 2001, 04:26 PM

Apple gave no reason for the delay in shipping the BTO box, they simply said that it had been sent to manufacturing. I asked if one of the BTO components was holding the order up and he said he did not know.

A quick check of the Apple Store shows that if you order a BTO system without s SCSI card, the estimated ship date is five days. But if you add a SCSI card (the same one Apple has been shipping for two years), the ship date jumps to 21 days!

Ugh...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2001, 08:27 PM

It IS because of the SCSI card. I explored the posability and the Apple rep said it was rediculous. It adds another 2 weeks if you want a SCSI card. She said it's better to get it without the SCSI and buy the exact same product (Adaptec 2940 or 29160 I believe) at a store and save yoruself 2 weeks.

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2001, 09:12 PM

I understand fully OlePigeon, that you would want to save yourself the two weeks. However, this situation is ridiculous, isn't it? I mean, it is not too strange to want a SCSI card in your Mac? (Although, IMH SCSI cards in New World Minitowers (G3 BW /G4) always give trouble, is my experience. Especially because of the power that stays on that bus, which can result in energysaver problems.

hoelterp
Jan 24, 2001, 09:54 PM

Quick update on the BTO ship dates I mentioned earlier. The Apple Store is now quoting 4 days for BTO 466mhz machines without a SCSI card and 10 days for those with SCSI.

Have things improved down at the Apple factory? Hope this means existing orders are finally getting shipped.

milhouse
Jan 24, 2001, 10:33 PM

I ordered a 733. It'l be sometime in March for me. I feel like a 4 year old waiting for christmas!!! And I already sold my DP G4 500 so that I could get one...

Forum Links
Forum Rules