Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 146)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well, hasn't this been a lively day for the thread. Let me leave it with an image of the original PS3 boomerang controller concept for lulz.

I actually think that looks MUCH more comfortable than the dual shock.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2009, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What if they never add BC, except as PSN downloadable titles?
Well all i want is the some specific content from the PS2 (Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, etc..) if thats available its cool (although im not so keen on 4GB downloads). The medium is not the issue to me, its the content i want, whether its DLC or disc based, doesn't really matter (although i'd PREFER to be able to buy the game disc).

Also, i guess they ported GoW 1&2 to the PS3, right ?.... how does that work, if they have'nt figured out how to emulate the entire PS2 ? I do realize they probably modified/ported some code, but that's all that emulation is... translate this call for this chip to another(probably group) of calls for this other chip. (speculating here)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2009, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Also, i guess they ported GoW 1&2 to the PS3, right ?.... how does that work, if they have'nt figured out how to emulate the entire PS2 ? I do realize they probably modified/ported some code, but that's all that emulation is... translate this call for this chip to another(probably group) of calls for this other chip. (speculating here)
Recompiling from source is not remotely the same thing as emulating an entire computer system. I can write a program and compile it for PPC, PPC64, x86 and x64 much more easily than I could write an emulator for an entire computer using each respective chip architecture.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2009, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Recompiling from source is not remotely the same thing as emulating an entire computer system. I can write a program and compile it for PPC, PPC64, x86 and x64 much more easily than I could write an emulator for an entire computer using each respective chip architecture.
Uh ... VM a la Java?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2009, 06:49 AM

Oh yeah. True. i was looking at it from the source code/API perspective and not the assembly level....messy stuff. i guess recompiles would be necessary for an actual 'port'..... as opposed to emulation.

On that note...the PS2 is almost 10 years old ? and they've managed to get the PS3 production costs down significantly.... is it really that expensive to have the semi-hardware-software emulation ?

That being said, if Sony comes out with a mechanism for studios to offer their content(by popular demand) on the PS3 im all for it, and the content can be pressed onto DVDs as well to keep the RRP down.....but considering almost everyone has a PS2, is there an actual benefit them doing this now ? ugh.... i'm all for a single console(at the hardware capabilities level) strategy henceforth....thats one of the things i liked about consoles to begin with.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2009, 01:12 PM

Well all i want is the some specific content from the PS2 (Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, etc..) if thats available its cool (although im not so keen on 4GB downloads). The medium is not the issue to me, its the content i want, whether its DLC or disc based, doesn't really matter (although i'd PREFER to be able to buy the game disc).

If they port ICO and SotC to PS3, similarly to the God of War collection, I'll snatch it up on release day.

Scratch that. Even if they only offer it as DLC in its original form, I'll still play it. I never did get to finish Shadow of the Colossus.

I have no idea about all the technical stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2009, 01:22 PM

Thursday News: Not a Good Day for Firmware Updates Edition

Sony: PS3 disc drive errors not a firmware issue
The trouble started with Uncharted and has now reportedly grown to encompass all manner of media fed into the PlayStation 3 disc drive. The comments section of PlayStiaton Blog's Firmware 3.01 announcement has been overwhelmed by user reports of disc drive errors since Firmware 3.00 and 3.01 were released; most commonly, read errors reportedly occur when running Blu-ray games or movies, but in some alleged cases plain old DVDs are not working either.

Wii Update 4.2 Is Killing Wiis Dead - Wii - Kotaku
The Nintendo support forums and our tips email alike are packed with reports that Wii system update 4.2 is doing horrible things to Wii consoles, and not just the modded ones.

A quick scan of the Nintendo tech support forum tells the tale of a system update gone slightly awry. The update is freezing halfway through. The update is giving system errors informing customers that their Wii has been modified and then failing to start. There are even reports of random disk read errors following the update. While some of the problems can be attributed to modified systems, customers are reporting issues with units right out of the box.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2009, 11:20 PM

Jesus, I won't be updating my Wii anytime soon, not that I play it anyways.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2009, 06:51 AM

Nintendo has apparently offered to fix unmodded units that have been bricked due to this update.

What has Sony's response been?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 2, 2009, 09:13 AM

What has Sony's response been?
It's your fault/problem.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2009, 10:52 AM

More like "buy a new slim model instead".

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2009, 11:32 AM

Hump Day News

EA: FIFA 10 is fastest-selling sports game 'ever'
Might have sold faster if people had been able to use their hands to purchase it.

Hands-on: Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm and Zune Marketplace on Xbox 360

Project Natal price to launch with room to drop
Translation: "We don't realize that people will need an incentive to buy this instead of a regular 360 or Wii."

Activision "didn't want Modern Warfare"
Up yours, Kotick.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2009, 01:43 PM

One of those little moments where a good artistic decision turned out to make good business sense as well.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2009, 01:47 PM

I'm resisting the urge to pick the sentence apart to death.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2009, 01:55 PM

Had a Wii for the last year or so since my wife got it for me for xmas to break my WoW addiction (it worked!)... not used it loads but it has been great fun, with Resident Evil 4, Call of Duty, The Umbrella Chronicles, and even Wii Sports being played and played - they really are great games, but we have hit a brick wall in terms of new titles. There is next to nothing compelling out there in the near future.

At the moment, we are really debating getting one of the new compact PS3s for one reason - the amount of good titles available for it, and my addiction to the Gran Turismo franchise!

With Resident Evil 5 out on the PS3, GT4 and GT5, they are 3 reasons to buy that the Wii at the moment can't match sadly

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2009, 02:14 PM

I'm resisting the urge to pick the sentence apart to death.
You're showing increased restraint.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Placid Casual View Post
With Resident Evil 5 out on the PS3, GT4 and GT5, they are 3 reasons to buy that the Wii at the moment can't match sadly
Come join us, but don't miss out on the Uncharted series and Infamous. I've been playing through the latter, and it's definitely worth the purchase.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 7, 2009, 02:19 PM

You're showing increased restraint.
It's not worth it. I'm hoping its wrong thanks to poorly phrasing your thought rather than not thinking it through.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 01:44 AM

It's not worth it. I'm hoping its wrong thanks to poorly phrasing your thought rather than not thinking it through.
(incredibly late response)

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus...two fantastic games that weren't pushed all that hard by Sony, but became popular over time due to game journalists going gaga and savvy gamers seeing the beauty in the games. Still, with all the accolades the games received, (particularly SotC) find it one this list of best-selling PS2 games.

Actually, don't bother looking. It's not on there. It didn't sell 1,000,000 copies, despite the fact that it garnered an average rating of 9.1.

Shadow of the Colossus was outsold by games like Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Finding Nemo, Shrek 2, Enter the Matrix, Sonic Heroes, and James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire.

So publishers are committed to doing two things, both of which lead to far too many absolute crap games.

1. Stumble across a popular game and push out yearly sequels until people eventually turn against it (after ten years).
2. Use a popular franchises from other mediums to sell a sub-par game.

I'm just scared the gaming industry will turn into what the movie industry is today.

I'm assuming you agree with all this, and were just confused in thinking that I was siding with publishers like Activision.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2009, 09:40 AM

I'm just scared the gaming industry will turn into what the movie industry is today.
I think it's inevitable.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2009, 10:03 AM

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus...two fantastic games that weren't pushed all that hard by Sony, but became popular over time due to game journalists going gaga and savvy gamers seeing the beauty in the games. Still, with all the accolades the games received, (particularly SotC) find it one this list of best-selling PS2 games.

Actually, don't bother looking. It's not on there. It didn't sell 1,000,000 copies, despite the fact that it garnered an average rating of 9.1.

Shadow of the Colossus was outsold by games like Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Finding Nemo, Shrek 2, Enter the Matrix, Sonic Heroes, and James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire.

So publishers are committed to doing two things, both of which lead to far too many absolute crap games.

1. Stumble across a popular game and push out yearly sequels until people eventually turn against it (after ten years).
2. Use a popular franchises from other mediums to sell a sub-par game.

I'm assuming you agree with all this, and were just confused in thinking that I was siding with publishers like Activision.
I was thinking more about your implication that a good artistic decision wouldn't be a good business one.

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I think it's inevitable.
Look how much its changed in the past 15 years. The difference between it and Hollywood at this point are negligible. We already have an indie sector!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2009, 11:19 AM

Pitchford: Easy Achievements boost sales by up to 40,000 units
That's more than most Nintendo 3rd party titles sell!

More than 27 Years Logged on Uncharted 2 Demo - Uncharted 2: among thieves - Kotaku
Don't have perspective for the figure, but that sounds damn impressive!

The First Four Letters Say it All - Wii - Kotaku
Something, something, exclamation point

Is Single-Player Gaming In Danger Of Extinction? - Original - Kotaku
Extinction, no. Marginalization... maybe. Not once during BioShock did I wish someone else was playing with me (except those parts where I was too scared to move).

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2009, 11:30 AM

The First Four Letters Say it All - Wii - Kotaku
Something, something, exclamation point
They should be packaged with tickets to the gun show.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2009, 11:31 AM

Is Single-Player Gaming In Danger Of Extinction? - Original - Kotaku
Extinction, no. Marginalization... maybe. Not once during BioShock did I wish someone else was playing with me (except those parts where I was too scared to move).
Most of my favorite games are single player. I wouldn't want multiplayer in Fallout.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 12:21 PM

Same here, I relish a great single-player experience. Multi can be loads of fun but sometimes I really want to get sucked into a game world.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 12:43 PM

I was thinking more about your implication that a good artistic decision wouldn't be a good business one.
...which would be siding with the publishers. If it doesn't have a number after the title and doesn't closely resemble it's previous iteration, they're usually scared stiff.

I think good artistic decisions are always best for the long-term health of the gaming industry, but I also think a ton of casual gamers are just as stupid as the publishers, making publishers feel justified.

More than 27 Years Logged on Uncharted 2 Demo - Uncharted 2: among thieves - Kotaku
Don't have perspective for the figure, but that sounds damn impressive!
Allow me to add that the game currently has an average rating of 97 (Metacritic).

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Same here, I relish a great single-player experience. Multi can be loads of fun but sometimes I really want to get sucked into a game world.
...without some 12-year-old screaming into his headset the entire time.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 12:47 PM

The only multi game I was pleasantly surprised with the crowd when I first played was L4D. It seemed like people were genuinely excited to kill some zombies, of course they were brutal with requiring their teammates to have mics.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2009, 12:51 PM

...which would be siding with the publishers.
No, the implication that they have to be mutually exclusive.

Allow me to add that the game currently has an average rating of 97 (Metacritic).
Oh, now I'm sold. [/rollseyes]

...without some 12-year-old screaming into his headset the entire time.
Mute button, mother****er, have you heard of it?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 12:58 PM

While playing Halo 3 it wasn't uncommon for me to mute 75% of all the people in match, including the ones on my team.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2009, 01:00 PM

The Big Team Games were always the obnoxious ones.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 02:01 PM

No, the implication that they have to be mutually exclusive.
Good god...

Oh, now I'm sold. [/rollseyes]
Just pointing it out.

That's actually a pretty good impersonation of the aforementioned 12-year-olds.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The only multi game I was pleasantly surprised with the crowd when I first played was L4D. It seemed like people were genuinely excited to kill some zombies, of course they were brutal with requiring their teammates to have mics.
I was 100% envious of that game. Watching others play it is what started my most recent 360 jealousy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2009, 02:03 PM

That's actually a pretty good impersonation of the aforementioned 12-year-olds.
Burn! No wait, I mean mute.

I still love you, Mr. Bone

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 04:39 PM

Burn! No wait, I mean mute.

I still love you, Mr. Bone
I've never been so glad I didn't jump back onto the 360 bandwagon so quickly.

Feeling's mutual, Dak.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2009, 04:41 PM

I couldn't mute you. I'd need to hear the screams of rage as I repeatedly kill you on every game ever.

ever

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2009, 06:28 PM

I don't experience rage. Nothing but pure serenity.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 8, 2009, 06:38 PM

I don't experience rage. Nothing but pure senility.
That's what I thought.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
More like "buy a new slim model instead".
Thats a bit worrying.... leaves the gate open to updates bricking systems almost at Sony's discretion. I read a Nintendo press release stating that they have only received 200 support queries from the 21m Wii owners regarding the 4.2 update, and of those, if the system was not modded, they have offered to fix.

Anyway, an update....
As some of you may know i recently purchased a HDTV (Sony 32", 1080p, 100Hz), i hooked up my Wii to it using the component cables, and i wasnt disappointed. Some websites and forum-dwellers had me dreading hooking up the Wii to a HDTV(component). it doesn't look worse than on a SDTV at least. And the games which support widescreen/480p, look crisper and more vibrant imo. the smooth frame rate (480p) also contributes to a better look. at worst, the jaggies are bit more noticeable if you're scene in the game is not moving, but not nearly as bad as some would have you believe.

I popped in my original MetroidPrime(GCN) game and enabled 480p and was stunned(again) at how beautiful this game is...... the only other comparable game this generation in terms of art-design and atmosphere is BioShock imo. Popped in OoT(GCN disc), and it too supported 480p, and looks as good as you'd expect a game from 10 years ago to look. Virtual Console(NES, Genesis, etc) do take a noticeable hit tho...

I did have a question regarding the Wii on an HDTV. i enabled 480p and 16:9 widescreen in the Wii System Menu, but when i switch the TV mode to "Normal" the image on screen appears to be 4:3, i have to set the TV to "Full" for it to display(stretch) the image in 16:9. If the Wii is set to widescreen shouldn't a 16:9 image be displayed when the TV is set to "Normal" ?

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 06:59 AM

Also...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2009, 11:55 AM

Thats a bit worrying.... leaves the gate open to updates bricking systems almost at Sony's discretion. I read a Nintendo press release stating that they have only received 200 support queries from the 21m Wii owners regarding the 4.2 update, and of those, if the system was not modded, they have offered to fix.
Well, it probably just drops Nintendo's profit margin on the hardware from $200 to $180.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 02:40 PM

I popped in my original MetroidPrime(GCN) game and enabled 480p and was stunned(again) at how beautiful this game is...... the only other comparable game this generation in terms of art-design and atmosphere is BioShock imo.
Play Fallout. Or Uncharted.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 02:46 PM

Well, it probably just drops Nintendo's profit margin on the hardware from $200 to $180.
Probably. And if i were a shareholder that would matter. But as a consumer/customer, it's nice to know that the company is willing to stand behind it's products and right any wrongs without screwing the customer. As opposed to what Sony is doing in this similar case. The XBox is in a league of its own in this respect, i cant be bothered reading through their warranty info to make sure they will cover ANY defects software/hardware, cause knowing M$ they will have a lot of 'sneaky' fine print to limit their liability(ie they can't be trusted). imo

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2009, 03:02 PM

Play Fallout. Or Uncharted.
I intend to play Uncharted I & II when i pick up a PS3. Uncharted 2 looks awesome.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2009, 04:41 PM

Probably. And if i were a shareholder that would matter. But as a consumer/customer, it's nice to know that the company is willing to stand behind it's products and right any wrongs without screwing the customer. As opposed to what Sony is doing in this similar case. The XBox is in a league of its own in this respect, i cant be bothered reading through their warranty info to make sure they will cover ANY defects software/hardware, cause knowing M$ they will have a lot of 'sneaky' fine print to limit their liability(ie they can't be trusted). imo
Actually Microsoft is pretty good about repairing their consoles. But I guess they need to be considering how often they have to do it...

downinflames68
Baninated
Oct 9, 2009, 09:09 PM

Agree eleventy billion percent. Love those games. Got the 60 gig Orig Ps3 just to make sure they still work perfect. They're amazing.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2009, 12:29 PM

Actually Microsoft is pretty good about repairing their consoles. But I guess they need to be considering how often they have to do it...
Very true. But it would be nice if they didn't break in the first place. As a 360 owner, I'm just waiting for mine to go, even though it's the newer Falcon chip model. I don't think I should be worried much I suppose, I don't play it very much (maybe an hour a week).

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2009, 12:09 PM

Just checked back at live.xbox.com. My old Gamertag is still just sitting there, waiting on me. The only game I racked up significant achievements on was 36/50 on NCAA Football 07. Oddly enough, achievements are part of what kept drawing me back to the 360.

How many games have you guys played where you acquired every single achievement?
Just finished ODST. That brings my total up to 6. Should be 7 but stupid Atari still hasn't fixed the two glitched achievements on Ghostbusters.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2009, 03:22 PM

Kotaku's lastest article on Resistance 3's release date being spoiled shows pictures that were taken a stone's throw away from where I shoot a ton of pictures:

Too bad the article is so boring.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2009, 05:59 PM

FYI - Toys R Us is doing a Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal this week on *ALL* video games. Works online too.

It says no preorders, but I picked up Uncharted 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Bioshock 2 all for $120.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2009, 11:03 AM

Nice...

I'll begin skimming their website in 30 seconds.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 12, 2009, 11:12 AM

Sadly, everything I want is a pre-order.

Forum Links
Forum Rules