Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 117)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Wow. I just plugged in a USB hard drive formatted in HFS+ for my Mac Mini and my xbox 360 recognizes it. I was able to play all my mpeg 4 video files on it. My H.264 mpeg 4 video files I converted for Apple TV from DVD's, which contain both AC3 track and stereo track. Too bad it doesn't play the AC3 track.

xbox 360 is a pretty good media center. It's a media center extender, so I can watch TV on it just because I have a TV turner in my PC running Windows Media Center.

So my xbox 360 is for Live HDTV, Netflix streaming, HDDVD, DVD, and mp4 video playing. Nice.
So, I imagine that when you're watching (Live HD)TV, you get notifications of friend's coming online?

If so, that's cool, though unfortunately having to run everything through the 360 isn't worth it.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
So, I imagine that when you're watching (Live HD)TV, you get notifications of friend's coming online?

If so, that's cool, though unfortunately having to run everything through the 360 isn't worth it.
Don't know. It's a possibility since you can have messenger notifications in Windows Media Center. I don't see why not.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Don't know. It's a possibility since you can have messenger notifications in Windows Media Center. I don't see why not.
That's not quite what I was envisioning, but that answers my question anyway.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 30, 2008, 03:27 PM

Well, months ago I voted "Wii", but I also recently bought a PS3. My username is "Railroader21"

I picked up a bunch of used games cheap.

For me:
Grid
Baja
Call of Duty 4
Batman Lego

For others:
Wall*E - for the kids
NCAA 2008 - for sports nuts who visit

I am into driving games and 1st person shooters. A friends loaned me Assassin's Creed and I am enjoying it. I am looking at getting Little Big World.

The Wii is definitely a console we use with people who aren't normally into gaming. It is more of a social event. 90% of the time we are playing bowling on it.

I did play RockBand recently and loved it. What console should I buy it for. The PS3 or the Wii. The Wii travels easy, so I was thinking of getting it for that, but I imagine the sound and video is much better on the PS3. Opinions?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 03:29 PM

See how they sort out the DLC thing. I believe it's finally being introduced for the Wii soon (or just recently), but I'm unsure if its the same library the 360/PS3 have.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Well, months ago I voted "Wii", but I also recently bought a PS3. My username is "Railroader21"

I picked up a bunch of used games cheap.

For me:
Grid
Baja
Call of Duty 4
Batman Lego

For others:
Wall*E - for the kids
NCAA 2008 - for sports nuts who visit

I am into driving games and 1st person shooters. A friends loaned me Assassin's Creed and I am enjoying it. I am looking at getting Little Big World.

The Wii is definitely a console we use with people who aren't normally into gaming. It is more of a social event. 90% of the time we are playing bowling on it.

I did play RockBand recently and loved it. What console should I buy it for. The PS3 or the Wii. The Wii travels easy, so I was thinking of getting it for that, but I imagine the sound and video is much better on the PS3. Opinions?
GTA IV is must
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 03:43 PM

See how they sort out the DLC thing. I believe it's finally being introduced for the Wii soon (or just recently), but I'm unsure if its the same library the 360/PS3 have.
One of the concerns RockStar has about "The Lost and Damned" is XBOX Live being pay to play
Grand Theft Auto IV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jeronimo Barrera, Vice President of Product Development for Rockstar Games, has said that the episodes are an experiment because they are not sure that there are enough users with access to online content on the Xbox 360.[76]
45/47

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 03:48 PM

Man this thread is full of weird transitions.

Everyone has internet. Whether they're willing to sign up for a free silver account to access LIve and pay for DLC is another matter altogether.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 03:53 PM

My bad. I have a PS3, so I was unaware there was a free Xbox live tier.
45/47

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 03:57 PM

What's more curious is why Barrera is worried. Is he privy to what the Live UU #s are, and they're low enough to be a reason for concern? Are other live titles not pulling good DLC sales numbers?

With a larger installed base over the PS3 (don't have any numbers on which console sold more copies of the title), I'd think the PS3 would be the console I'd be worrying about DLC sales on.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 30, 2008, 04:18 PM

Did a time warp happen. Seems like some of the above posts are out of order/context.

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
GTA IV is must
Working/living in a group home for children I have misgivings getting any GTA game.

I already won't play any 1st person shooter with kids under 15 around. When the kids move out they can decide what they are mature enough to handle, but I don't want to expose them to it in my home.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 04:23 PM

Did a time warp happen. Seems like some of the above posts are out of order/context.
Everything's in order, Chongo jumped topics from my post quite abruptly.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2008, 04:26 PM

I know you couldn't pay me to get Guitar Hero: World Tour for the Wii (terrible interface and menus, crappy graphix, no HDD for saving lots of extra songs) The 360 version is miles ahead of the Wii version, I'd imagine the PS3 is no different.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2008, 04:49 PM

Get it for the 360.

Between the two *definitely* get it for the PS3. Much better catalog of DLC available now. It should be available for the Wii soon, but there's no telling when you'll have access to everything. Plus online play with the PS3 is much better than the Wii. Then there's the sound and the graphics...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 06:25 PM

Little Big Planet is awesome. I highly recommend it.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Railroader
Banned
Dec 31, 2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I know you couldn't pay me to get Guitar Hero: World Tour for the Wii (terrible interface and menus, crappy graphix, no HDD for saving lots of extra songs) The 360 version is miles ahead of the Wii version, I'd imagine the PS3 is no different.
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Between the two *definitely* get it for the PS3. Much better catalog of DLC available now. It should be available for the Wii soon, but there's no telling when you'll have access to everything. Plus online play with the PS3 is much better than the Wii. Then there's the sound and the graphics...
What you guys say makes sense.

Except for this:
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Get it for the 360.

The sound and graphics alone was swaying me, but I completely forgot about console storage. That makes it a no-buy rating for the Wii completely. I will be buying songs. Online play for the PS3 is miles ahead of the Wii.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 31, 2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Little Big Planet is awesome. I highly recommend it.
I picked it up last night. I cringed at the $60 price tag for a new disc. I couldn't find a used copy. Now I know why...

AWESOME!!! It is so much fun to play. Very simply, fun, and friendly.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2008, 06:30 PM

I cringed at the $60 price tag for a new disc.
It's $96 here in Europe. Feel better now?

Railroader
Banned
Dec 31, 2008, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
No.

No, I don't.

I feel more sad.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2009, 12:00 AM

I must click on that Jennifer Connelly wallpaper link about every time I read one of your posts.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 01:03 AM

I picked it up last night. I cringed at the $60 price tag for a new disc. I couldn't find a used copy. Now I know why...

AWESOME!!! It is so much fun to play. Very simply, fun, and friendly.
I'm picking up LBP tomorrow. Can't wait. Are you going to be creating some levels?

Also, my PSN name is Jawbone54.

I've set down Half-Life 2 for a while so I can enjoy Metal Gear Solid 4. It's currently installing onto my PS3. I've decided to pick up a new hard drive for the PS3 too so I can use it as a high-res pictures slideshow and music player for when guests are over.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2009, 01:39 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 02:14 PM

Even the original Xbox is beating the PS3 despite the complete lack of any new titles for it (like the PS2)

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2009, 02:33 PM

Even the original Xbox is beating the PS3 despite the complete lack of any new titles for it (like the PS2)
Actually the PS2 is getting plenty of new releases.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 02:46 PM

My wording sucks, I was trying to say that the PS2 obviously should be played more than the Xbox due to the fact new titles are released for it almost monthly.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2009, 03:15 PM

My wording sucks, I was trying to say that the PS2 obviously should be played more than the Xbox due to the fact new titles are released for it almost monthly.
Gotcha. I'm a bit surprised that the PS2 is so far ahead of every other console. I thought the 360 would be a lot closer (and I'm not surprised that the Wii is third).

Railroader
Banned
Jan 2, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm picking up LBP tomorrow. Can't wait. Are you going to be creating some levels?

Also, my PSN name is Jawbone54.
Added ya. You'll usually find me on later at night after the kids are in bed.

The house has gotten very busy lately, we have 4 kids under 7 years old in the house right now, so I won't be making levels right away. Currently my only goal is to figure out how to get more than 50% of the items in each level. There is so much hidden stuff I rarely get half of it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
More proof that the last generation of gaming was killed off too quickly.

I understand these companies want to surpass (or at least keep up with) PC graphics every 5 years or so, but it just seems unnecessary. I say waiting every 7-8 years between consoles would be absolutely fine, but they shoved new consoles down our throats and cast aside the old ones prematurely. The jump from Playstation to PS2 was fair, I'd say...but the PS2/Xbox era still had some life.

I wonder if HDTVs would be selling quite as well if the modern gaming consoles (sans Wii) weren't HD-native...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2009, 04:46 PM

Added ya. You'll usually find me on later at night after the kids are in bed.

The house has gotten very busy lately, we have 4 kids under 7 years old in the house right now, so I won't be making levels right away. Currently my only goal is to figure out how to get more than 50% of the items in each level. There is so much hidden stuff I rarely get half of it.
Sweet. About the only time I'm on is after 10 PM until 2-3 AM.

I haven't started the game up yet. I have MGS4 paused, and I'm waiting to save it, but I'm itching to get my Sackboy on.
That sounds kind of...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2009, 04:50 PM

More proof that the last generation of gaming was killed off too quickly.

I understand these companies want to surpass (or at least keep up with) PC graphics every 5 years or so, but it just seems unnecessary. I say waiting every 7-8 years between consoles would be absolutely fine, but they shoved new consoles down our throats and cast aside the old ones prematurely. The jump from Playstation to PS2 was fair, I'd say...but the PS2/Xbox era still had some life.

I wonder if HDTVs would be selling quite as well if the modern gaming consoles (sans Wii) weren't HD-native...
PS1 > PS2 was 5 years. PS2 > PS3 was 6. Why was the former fair but the latter not?

To your last question, though, I wonder if modern gaming consoles would be selling if there weren't any HDTVs. I think it's more likely people buy new consoles because they have new TVs, not the other way around.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2009, 05:09 PM

Not a single handled there?, weird. If handleds fall into 'Other' I highly doubt the DS and the PSP combined are below under anything else… or does people play those only outside the home? (slightly sarcasm)

I still play GameCube titles on my Wii, how would that be reflected there?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2009, 05:13 PM

Not a single handled there?, weird. If handleds fall into 'Other' I highly doubt the DS and the PSP combined are below under anything else… or does people play those only outside the home? (slightly sarcasm)

I still play GameCube titles on my Wii, how would that be reflected there?
The article states that they doubt handhelds are included.

And that would be counted as playing your Wii. Just like my playing TMNT on my 360 counts as playing on the 360 and not on an NES.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2009, 01:13 PM

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/08/xb...ng-springtime/

Sounds like something that was announced a while ago, but I'd never heard of it until now.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2009, 02:50 PM

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/08/xb...ng-springtime/

Sounds like something that was announced a while ago, but I'd never heard of it until now.
No matter what it turns out to be like, it's gotta be better than Home.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2009, 03:01 PM

It's just a MMOGC (massively multiplayer online game channel):
http://bit.ly/Zukl

I don't think it's supposed to be anything like Home (which means it will probably be good).

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 02:17 PM

Time to stir the pot.

The Wii joins 2007
After a few technical hiccups, the Wii's Rock Band store is now open and ready for your patronage. There are 50 songs available - the 20 "free tracks", 18 songs from track packs and 12 new songs - with a further 12 to come later down the line.
I look forward to see what the DLC attach rate for the Wii is like in a few months, in comparison to the other systems.

---

The Wii is for girls
"What's driving the Wii sales is the use of Wii by women, girls and families," Hamilton said. "It's a really female-driven platform."
Totally believable, as I've read far too often that the Wii is the only video game (console) they've ever gotten their GFs or Wives to play.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 03:53 PM

The Wii is ALSO for girls
Fixed.

Thus proving that gaming consoles, like many other well designed(and marketed) electronic devices, can appeal to a much larger audience than JUST the 'traditional' niche. (Effectively doubling your target market, as opposed to a narrow, small niche).

Which reminds me, a colleague at work just got her two daughters DS Lites(2). She told me that she picks one up once they go to bed and cant put it down. I've told her about Nintendogs (as that the only non-core' game i know of). And she's already decided to pick up a Wii and Wii Fit. And the strange thing is...i never mentioned any of these consoles/games to her.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 14, 2009 at 04:01 PM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Fixed.
Double fixed, since you obviously didn't read the quote. If women are driving the sales, that would leave males as the left overs.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:19 PM

I would tend to agree that the Wii's main focus was the older/non-gamer/female demographic, because most of them haven't gotten involved in the rapidly expanding gaming market until now. I don't think the result that the above linked story draws attention to was accidental; Nintendo was TRYING to go after this market.

I think the Wii can be enjoyed by almost anyone, but it is true that the non-gamers, the older generation, and females are what are pushing its sales into the stratosphere, particularly the females.

Almost every guy I know from 14 to 30-year-old talks about the 360 or PS3, but almost never say anything about the Wii unless they're not typically "into" games.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 04:22 PM

Yeah, I was just thinking I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii is absolutely crushing the 36 and older demographic. In fact, I'd imagine that's the demographic the 360 would be dead last in.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:28 PM

Yeah, I was just thinking I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii is absolutely crushing the 36 and older demographic. In fact, I'd imagine that's the demographic the 360 would be dead last in.
Not to mention that some of the older videophiles probably purchased PS3s solely because they were cheap Blu-ray players.

I know that's a small segment, but I seriously doubt many in the 40+ range even know anything about the 360, while most of them still recognize the Playstation branding.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 04:29 PM

Xbox 360 Dominates 2008 Game Rentals
Both Xbox 360 and Wii have increased their overall rental market share in 2008. Xbox 360 increased from 26.1% to 36.8%, while consumer spending on Wii game rentals increased from 7.3% in 2007 to 17.1% in 2008.

It's interesting to see the sorts of games that people tend to rent. Most of the ones up there, like Call of Duty, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Mario Kart, seem like the sorts of games you keep for quite awhile for replayability and multiplayer, not rent.

How about that Fallout 3, snatching a spot in the top 10 with only 9 weeks of release.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:36 PM

I've never really understood renting games on a consistent basis. I used to rent them just a test drive of sorts, to see if I really wanted to make the purchase.

I think most people who are really into the industry just read reviews from sites like IGN, Gamespot, GameTrailers, etc. to help make an educated choice before wasting a single penny. Those sites wield a tremendous amount of power.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 04:38 PM

I wonder if Gamefly factors into those numbers. That's a wise way to rent.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2009, 04:52 PM

I've thought about it, but I return to games wayyy to often to get a subscription.

I can't say it hasn't tempted me many, many time though.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 04:53 PM

I've thought about it, but I return to games wayyy to often to get a subscription.
But that should appeal to you. I suspect the ability to try a limitless amount of games has to be greatly appealing.

After all, no one said Gamefly has to supplant your gaming purchases, it can supplement it. Or has she?

Railroader
Banned
Jan 14, 2009, 05:40 PM

My wife won't let me sell our Wii. It is indeed the only system girl in the group homes will play (and dominate on).

I have considered a gamefly sub. Seems a bit expensive though. I normally don't rent, only when friends come into town and want to play a specific game. I buy 99% of my games used.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 05:42 PM

I have considered a gamefly sub. Seems a bit expensive though.
It does, until you compare it to Netflix. Then think about the price difference between a game and a movie. Not a bad deal.

That said, I can't talk myself into it either. That's more than I pay for internet a month.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2009, 05:47 PM

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2009, 10:12 PM

When I voted in this poll long ago, before I had any of the consoles, I voted Wii. Now, I've had a Wii for about a year now. Can I change my vote?

And that article on Kojima is quite interesting. I agree with a lot of the comments - don't try and be more western. We need those Japanese games to keep the video game soup tasting good. One flavor is bland.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules