Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > upgrade to snow leopard without previous OS X on system?

upgrade to snow leopard without previous OS X on system?
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2009, 05:13 AM

So, here is my question. Apple's page specifically says, UPGRADE to snow leopard for 29.00. Well, My 2.2GHZ MBP needs to be wiped and start over, which I can do. However, I don't have the original discs it came with. Is their UPGRADE a figurtuve upgrade, and in actuality, the 29.00 copy is everything I need to install SL from scratch?

Hope it makes sense and isn't too confusing

Thanks in advance!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2009, 05:29 AM

The $29 Upgrade DVD should install from scratch just fine. You can boot from it, use its DU to format the drive and then proceed to install a fresh copy of SL.

Are you sure you need to wipe the MBP though? Although wipe installs are a very common procedure in the Windows world, with OS X they are rarely required. SL comes with a very smart update installer than can replace all the system components, check third-party extensions for compatibility and preserver your apps, documents, media, settings, etc. There's no problem with wiping, but IMHO you should be certain you really need to wipe, before going through the extra hassle and spending a lot of time.

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2009, 05:47 AM

Yeah, I'm one of those weird people who after a certain amount of time, random programs, and generally slowing down of the OS, feel like a full wipe is necessary. (for some reason LOL) So, I am good to go to just buy the $29 upgrade, which is essentially a full copy of SL? I was wondering when it was first released, what if someone had, panther for example...would they have to buy Leopard to get to SL? Didn't make sense, which is why I asked. Thanks so much!

Cold Warrior
Nov 27, 2009, 10:05 AM

Let us know how it goes.
Also, I updated your thread title to be more descriptive, that way others can see your question might be of interest.

ero2  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2009, 03:19 PM

The below quotes from their page after a little research would lead me to believe I have to update to the ENTIRE SL Box set...looks like I need to call Apple lol. Th discs that came with my comp are tiger, so if I do a wipe and reinstall, or my HD ever goes bad etc...I won't be able to go TIger to SL, Ill have to somehow acquire a copy of Leopard in between...

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard.
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, just purchase Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and follow the simple installation instructions.

Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger.
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Cold Warrior
Nov 28, 2009, 03:23 PM

they say that, but as Simon mentioned, the SL $29 upgrade disc works fine for a clean install, no 10.5 necessary.

j.donald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2009, 01:37 PM

i think the Upgrade DVD should install from scratch just fine.
Let me know how it goes.

and by the way try this also from apples site
If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard, just purchase Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard and follow the simple installation instructions.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2009, 01:37 PM

And no one is going to provide the "official" policy?

Apple execs are naive if they think most people will abide by it. But, if 90% don't, we'll never see such a deal again.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2009, 01:38 PM

The $9.99 Up-To-Date disk also works fine for a clean install.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The $9.99 Up-To-Date disk also works fine for a clean install.
Sure does. However, you have to boot from the disc for that, you can't run the installer from within a machine already running 10.6.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by 64stang06 View Post
Sure does. However, you have to boot from the disc for that, you can't run the installer from within a machine already running 10.6.
Well, that's no surprise, as you can't do that with the $29 disk either.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2009, 11:31 PM

No, what is meant is that you can't insert the disc and open the install app to start up the process if you're running 10.6 already. They coded the app to not allow installs from 10.6. You have to boot from the disc to start the install. You can do this with the $29 disc.
Vandelay Industries

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
No, what is meant is that you can't insert the disc and open the install app to start up the process if you're running 10.6 already. They coded the app to not allow installs from 10.6. You have to boot from the disc to start the install. You can do this with the $29 disc.
Yes, and you can do this with the $9.99 disc too.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2009, 12:11 AM

I think you're missing something.

With both discs, you can boot the disc and start up the install.
With the $29 disc, you can insert while running any version of OS X and start the install by running "Install Mac OS X"
With the $9.99 disc, you can not do this on 10.6. The "Install Mac OS X" app won't start the install on 10.6 due to a restriction they coded into it. It will work on 10.5. I don't know about 10.4 since I don't have it anymore.
Vandelay Industries

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2009, 12:40 AM

Really? I was told you couldn't install 10.6 from a 10.6 machine with the $29 disc either, but I guess that was wrong then.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2009, 04:33 AM

Didn't I also read here that you couldn't upgrade from Tiger with the $9.99 Up-To-Date DVD, unlike the $29 upgrade DVD?

64stang06
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Didn't I also read here that you couldn't upgrade from Tiger with the $9.99 Up-To-Date DVD, unlike the $29 upgrade DVD?
I don't know 100% about that as I never had Tiger on my machine, but since you can boot from the disc and install onto an empty hard drive, I would say yes. I replaced my MacBook Pro hard driver from a 250GB to a 320GB, 7200rpm and ran the installer just fine.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2009, 11:45 PM

I just upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

Disc in, click, done. Very smooth.

Only problems I have are with 3rd party software like Match 3 for my i1d2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules