Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Scanning question

Scanning question
Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 3, 2006, 10:48 AM

I picked up an epson scanner that's capable of scanning 24 or 48bit.
I'm at a loss to see any difference when I scan a photo (not a negative) at 24 or 48bit and the dpi is set up beyond 300. The file size is humongious however when I select high (over 900dpi) DPI.

Is there a resource, that I can pursuse to get the finer touches of scanning and how the various settings interact with each other.

Mike
~Mike

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 12:37 PM

Use 72 DPI for scanning for web.

150 DPI for letterheads, simple graphs

300 DPI for print

24 bit colour is all your really need, the rest is just marketing.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

OreoCookie
May 3, 2006, 12:59 PM

Scanning at a resolution higher than than 300 dpi is pointless, unless you scan negatives. All photos are printed at 200 or 300 dpi these days.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Scanning at a resolution higher than than 300 dpi is pointless, unless you scan negatives. All photos are printed at 200 or 300 dpi these days.
Ah just where did you get that info from? Even desktop inkjets print at higher res than that now.
I output at 2032 for 133line film and 2450 for 150 line. If I'm scanning text I'll do it 600 DPI sometimes 1200 depending on the image. 48 bit will give you deeper shadow detail however you also need the equipment to output it so for most it is overkill.

andi*pandi
May 3, 2006, 01:48 PM

general rule of thumb is twice the linescreen it will be printed at -- meaning press. 300 is a good default. 350 if you know you'll be going on excellent paper that can take a small dot and the 175 lines screen.

I sometimes scan line art at higher res (600-1200) to work with it before eventually getting it back down to 300.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2006, 01:53 PM

Personally even if it is for web I still scan it at 150 DPI and down-sample it in Photoshop. The results are much cleaner.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 3, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by almaink
Ah just where did you get that info from? Even desktop inkjets print at higher res than that now.
Not the same thing. Printers have to use halftoning to achieve multiple colors. It takes several dots to make a single pixel. The pixel count (which is all you need to scan) need not be higher than 300dpi.

tooki

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2006, 05:38 PM

Here's a great site to learn about scanning:
http://www.scantips.com/

art_director
Professional Poster
May 3, 2006, 08:04 PM

Many semi-accurate replies to this question. Before scanning one must first determine the output size and consider the media. For example, if you scan a 35mm slide at 300dpi 1:1 scale, it will look like crap as OOH.

Of course, when you're doing that sort of work you're probably having a color house spin it on a drum scanner.

( insert lame moticon here )

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
May 3, 2006, 10:37 PM

Thanks for all of the info, keep it coming.
~Mike

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2006, 02:17 AM

For print, I think generally you want to scan at the resolution the source was printed, i.e twice the linescreen for offset prints as stated above.

How do you find out the linescreen? I have a printer's glass - a maginfying glass fixed above a ruled square that sits on the paper - you use the ruled measurements to count off the dots. I am SURE there must be a better way but I don't know what it is.

Scanning at lower a resolution lower than which the source was printed can produce good results, even advantages if the end product is at a lower relative resolution i.e for a large scan that will printed smaller, or for the web as mentioned above. But obviously you lose design flexibility and run the risk of printing a blurry image.

Scanning at higher resolution than which the source was printed can produce unwanted effects; the scanning will pick up rosettes, printing dots and have a moire effect, which can be a pain in the butt to remove. I guess their are exceptions, scanning text at higher resolutions that that it was printed would generally be ok because text is usually a solid and doesn't have rosettes. I guess if the text is very small and needs to be OCR'd it would help.

Oh, if you are scanning proper photos that have been developed, I think you can shove the resolution way up, like as with slides, because the photo is optically produced and the linescreen thing doesn't apply. Maybe the correct resolution to scan at would be something related to the ASA nunber or the amount of silver in the paper .... you can tell I don't know much about this so perhaps someone else can discuss it...?
ππ>_<ππ

Forum Links
Forum Rules