Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Video Tuner? on a 7500 with RCA in

Video Tuner? on a 7500 with RCA in
graphics84
Senior User
Mar 29, 2002, 03:14 AM

I have a 7500 with the RCA in on the back...

I have a Coaxle to RCA box on my cable... I hooked it all together and I tried using my Apple Video Player to watch TV but it says I need a tuner

Do I have to have a hardware tuner or can I use a software program to watch TV? (american cable)

I do have a signal and I can run my DVD player through the back but the whole purpose was to watch cable

I would love a program that would let me hack into digital cable...

ideas?

thefamousmred
Mar 29, 2002, 11:25 AM

You need a tuner, the 7500 doesn't have one built in. I have a 7600 (same thing, diff't cpu) with a cheap VCR that I use as a tuner....works like a charm as long as you don't use OS X (there aren't any OS X drivers for the video input).

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2002, 02:32 PM

if you ahve a coaxial to RCA converter than you can use that to hook up teh output of your cable box to your mac and use it liek that with the box

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2002, 01:55 PM

Use Apple Video Player and a cheap VCR for a tuner, or a cable box with a built-in tuner may work, I never tried that. As ...mred said, the 7500 has no tuner of its own. Run the audio/video output from your VCR to the Mac, either the RCA or S-video . I used to do that on my 8500 all the time and miss it on my duallie. Had to get a separate TV and really don't have the room.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Mar 30, 2002, 02:08 PM

While we're on the topic of pumping audio/video from a VCR -> 8500, can anyone here take a guess as to why going from the 8500 -> reciever would prevent proper Pro-Logic decoding? As long as the 8500 is pumping out a stereo signal it should be processed entirely by the P/L receiver right?

For whatever reason i can't get it to work with my old 8500...

Thoughts?

Speed

Forum Links
Forum Rules