Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Rev. A 15" Powerbook owners please check in

Rev. A 15" Powerbook owners please check in
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 11:20 AM

Hi.

Some of you have been helping with my dilemma of keeping either a 15 1.25ghz originally bought in March 2004 or a 15" 1.33ghz originally bought in early June 2004. Some of you are saying that I should keep the 1.33 just because of the history of problems with the rev a models.

How are your rev a powerbooks doing? If they do have white spots or dead pixels, did they just happen out of the blue? Do you think that the rev a has inferior construction leading to those problems? And are there other issues that you have experienced?

Overall are you happy with your rev a powerbook?

Part of me just wants to keep the rev a 1.25 just because cosmetically it looks newer than the 1.33 that I just got. Also the 1.25 does have the bigger hard drive and superdrive that I probably won'e ever use. But what other people have been saying is scaring me a bit and making me lean towards the 1.33.

Your opinions and comments about your rev a powerbooks will really help me through this tough decision!!

Thanks!!

PBG4 User
Senior User
Apr 11, 2005, 11:29 AM

I have a Rev. A that I bought in 9/2003 (about as Rev A. as you can get, probably from the first batch). The white spots finally showed up on my PowerBook in the Summer of 2004. Had the screen replaced and it's been running like a top ever since.

The only other thing that could be considered an issue is the screen seems to be unevenly lit. This would be a killer for anyone trying to do accurate color work, but that's not me so it's only a minor nuisance. The darker areas are in the lower left & lower right corners.

Other than this, the machine has been great for me. I still do all my dev work on my PowerBook even though I could do it on my iMac G5. Guess I like the ability to code on the couch.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 11:35 AM

Hi,

Any ideas on what cause the white spots? If it took that long to develop, I would definitely be concerned that the spots could develop on my rev a at any time.

Thanks!

osxisfun
Apr 11, 2005, 11:51 AM

i think it had to to with the case on the back of the LCD bending inward sometimes when held that way.

the case pushed against the lcd and caused something to not move all the way "back" from the lcd screen. kinda like a callous on your foot if you where the wrong kind of shoes.

i think,

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 12:02 PM

Holy Smokes,

That's scary. So if that is the case, it could actually happen at any time then. Any other ideas?

Any chance that if it didn't happen by now then it won't happen? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that!!

So is the screen the only problem on the rev a powerbooks?

Thanks!

nick_coday
Apr 11, 2005, 09:46 PM

I have a Rev A a.25Ghz 15" and I also had the white dots problem. I did get the AppleCare and have not had any other problems. I got mine in Oct 2003
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 12:54 AM

Hi,

I just checked the apple site with the serial number on the pb 1.25 and it does not fall in the range of the Powerbook Display Repair Program:

http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/displayprogram/

Is that a good thing?

Did yours still have the lcd problems, even if it didn't fall into the range?

Thanks!

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 10:52 AM

How is the heat on your 1.25?

Forum Links
Forum Rules