Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Some advice please

Some advice please
banq_uet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 08:34 PM

Hi

Im thinking of detching my pc for a IMAC Mini. My main concern is the low RAM. Recently i upgraded my pc to 768 RAM. Would i able to put my PC's ram into a IMAC Mini? Another question what would be the easiest way to transfer the huge amount of music on my PC to a IMAC Mini and would there be conversion problems? Finally is it worth getting a IMAC Mini?

Thanx

Ryan

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 07:42 PM

It depends what type of RAM your PC is using. If it's PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM it will work in the mini. Notice that there is only one memory slot though. So you would lose the original 256mb.

You can either transfer the files through ethernet or an external USB harddisk if you have one.

It's always worth getting a Mac over a PC more seriously, it depends what you are using your computer for. Generally speaking Macs are much more pleasant to use than PCs...

Hodog16
Jun 10, 2005, 11:49 PM

To add to this post, I just recently switched from using PCs all my life to Mac's, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

There are two ways to move your music from 1 computer to the other:
1) If your ipod is set to update manually, you can get the program Senuti (which is great, needless to say) and copy the music files from your iPod onto your new Apple. Then you can add the files to the library, consolidate the files, and delete the originals and itunes will be set.

In this case, if the ipod is set to update automatically, it might erase the files so be careful doing this.

2) Or like pat++ said, you can use an ethernet cord and open a network connection to your PC if you share the music folder.

Good luck with the decision, either way getting a new computer is always fun.

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 17, 2005, 06:54 PM

dont get a mac mini
not worth it at all
it is the worst mac on the market

when i switched from pc to mac i got a ibook and used it for music everything was great
get an ibook
they are the best
if you are interested i will sell you my ibook 12" 800mhz
PM me if interested
i dont need the ibook any more since i have a emac and another ibook and im getting a powerbook

Forum Links
Forum Rules