Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Change Default Program To Open Attachments

Change Default Program To Open Attachments
gostan
Apr 12, 2006, 08:56 AM

Entourage is automatically opening attachments on emails with Open Office instead of Word. How do I change the default word processing program that opens attachments?
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by gostan
Entourage is automatically opening attachments on emails with Open Office instead of Word. How do I change the default word processing program that opens attachments?
I don't think this is an Entourage issue. Entourage just uses whatever your OS has set as the app to open the files.

To test this out, save the attachment that you want to open to your Desktop.
Now, click the file, and press <em>Command+I</em> to bring up the Get Info window.
Look at the "Open with" section near the bottom. Expand it if necessary by clicking the little triangle.
What application is listed in the popup menu? If it's not Word, then the default app for opening the file needs to be changed. You can change it for all the files of that type by simply picking the new app that you want to use from the popup menu, and then click the "Change All..." button.
When you open the attachement from Entourage again, it should open in the new app that you selected. If it doesn't, quit and re-launch Entourage, and then give it a try?

Did that solve it?
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

gostan  (op)
Apr 12, 2006, 11:29 AM

Yes!!!

It Works.

Thanks.......
24" Intel Core 2 Duo IMac 2.4 Ghz
15.4"/2.4 GHZ MacBook Pro

eeeaa
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2006, 12:11 AM

Good to hear.
Dennis R. Metzcher
MyMacBlog.com: My experiences with the Mac OS, a switcher's point of view. With a new Mac tip each week day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules