Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" iMac Owners, Are You Happy With It?

24" iMac Owners, Are You Happy With It?
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2006, 06:37 PM

I'm considering buying a 24" iMac. I was going to buy a MacPro and a Cinema Display but I really like the clean, sleek, all in one look the 24" iMac provides and it will certainly be fast enough for my needs.
My question pretty much centers on the display, how is it?
Any problems with dark areas, bad/stuck pixels? I've seen the 24" iMac at Apple stores and it certainly is bright but an Apple Store is hardly the place to truly evaluate the quality of the display.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2006, 06:39 PM

Just browse the many threads pertaining to the 24" iMac and you'll find your answer.

Yes, the display is pretty amazing. About as bright as any display I've ever seen. Mine is perfect, no dead pixels, no odd dark areas. Viewing angle is nice and wide.

Nothing but praise for the 24" iMac from me.

Bakerman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 06:07 AM

I have had my 24 inch iMac for a few months now. I am quite pleased with it. The display is great, the performance is outstanding. It was the right machine for me.
Bakerman
24" iMac

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 08:34 AM

I've been contemplating a Mac Pro + 23" Display myself, but every now and then the 24" grabs my attention. The only problem is RAM maxing at 3GB. I can do with that for now, but as the work gets more complex I'll be craving for more.. The all-in-one factor is pretty good though along with the whole FrontRow experience.

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 03:20 PM

It really depends on what you want to do with it. My 24'' iMac is great for some light movie editing.
And even with 2G ram and the upgraded video card, much cheaper than the Macpro setup.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by SciFrog View Post
It really depends on what you want to do with it. My 24'' iMac is great for some light movie editing.
And even with 2G ram and the upgraded video card, much cheaper than the Macpro setup.
That's true. More than a $1000 difference even with the upgraded card and ram BUT the Mac Pro is dual processor and has a cool option for 2 optical drives apart from the ram expansion options.

So it all boils down to whether its for Pro use or just basic, semi-advanced work. For me personally an iMac would do for my movie editing/encoding and DVD authoring needs, but I know I'll want more meat a few months later and will probably get the Mac Pro then. So why not now..?

Hmm... *Goes back to Apple.com/store the third time*
( Last edited by macboy; Dec 12, 2006 at 07:17 PM. )

Sych0
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 04:00 PM

1000% happy with my 24" imac. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. Its so bright, that most of the time I have it turned down to the lowest setting otherwise it bugs my eyes.

I had thought of getting the mac pro too, but one thing I didn't notice until after I'd bought the imac is the mac pro DOES NOT include front row! Now that might not matter to some, but that was a deal breaker for me. Luckily I chose correctly!

I got the 24" 2.3 ghz with 2gb ram and upgraded video. My only regret is I didn't spring for the 500gb hd. I do have 3 externals though, so I'm good. I'm going to school for film production, so I hope to do some final cut work and what not with this. Seems really capable so far. I figure when it's time to upgrade, I'll just sell this machine too.

I absolutely love it though

Welnic
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2006, 06:30 PM

I would have rather gotten a tower with single dual core processor, but since that is not an option I ended up with a 24" iMac. The display is pretty stunning. I play Civ4 on a variety of machines, but whenever I first load a game on the iMac I am struck by how much better it looks on there.

hoser1215
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2006, 10:35 PM

I bought my 24" iMac a couple months ago and its been working great. I got the core 2 duo version. If I have any complaints about the iMac its the number of ports on the back. I had a power mac tower with 4 hard drives and a TV video input card in it. I had to give up the video input and I had to get a USB hub for the hard drives. I didn't realize how many peripherals I had that needed USB or firewire. These are all workable problems that will sort itself out eventually.
As far as the computer and the 24" screen goes.... FANTASTIC!!! I am really enjoying the large monitor screen. Its bright and sharp and even windows looks good on it. (If windows could ever look good) I would consider some of the upgrades depending on what you use it for.
I haven't really found anything about the iMac so far that makes me feel I made a mistake buying it instead of a mac pro. Its done everything I've wanted it to do.

Richard Cassidy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 05:41 AM

I moved from a PowerMac Dual 2ghz with 2x19" monitors to an iMac 24" (2.1ghz with 2gb ram, GT7600 video card).

At the time I was pretty nervous whether I 'd made the right decision, as it's my main work computer, but once it arrived I've never looked back. It completely rocks.

Just make sure you get a big enough hard drive when you order as they are as good as impossible to change yourself (without dismantling a lot of the machine and voiding your warranty by the looks of it).

Works well with a firewire 800 external drive, runs aperture and parallels very nicely.

Anyway, top purchase, lovely screen, very fast, absolutely no regrets.

badidea
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 09:38 AM

I have one dead pixel and some areas that look brighter than others - I still think this is the best computer ever build!!!

design219
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2006, 10:10 AM

Love mine. I also had to turn the brightness down to the lowest setting. At that, it is still brighter than the 19" LaCie that I have running as a second monitor.

johneymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 12:00 PM

I have had mine now for 5 days and I have 1 stuck pixel, other than that I love it!

Parky
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 02:14 PM

Yes very, very happy with mine.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules