Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How can I permanently set font size in Microsoft Word?

How can I permanently set font size in Microsoft Word?
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2007, 10:05 PM

I'm using Microsoft Office X Word on my Mac. Is there a way that I can permanently set the font size on blank documents from the default size 12 without having to manually do it every time I start a new document?

striker100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2007, 10:32 PM

I found it, please disregard post.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2007, 10:54 PM

You changed the setting in the Normal.dot template, right? That's the best way to change Word's behavior (relatively) permanently.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2007, 12:30 AM

I'd like to know how you did it striker100

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2007, 12:55 AM

Open a new Word document.
Click on "Format" in the menubar.
Select "Font"
Then, select the font you want to use.
Then select the "Default" button in the lower left corner of the dialog box.
It will now tell you that if you accept, the newly selected font will be used every time you open a new document.

Zarqawi's Eye
Baninated
Jan 21, 2007, 02:36 AM

Too bad its not that easy on Office 2003 (windows). On every new system I use I have to manually dig through to the hidden template folder and file.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 21, 2007, 11:45 AM

Actually it SHOULD be that easy on all "modern" versions of Word, no matter what platform you're using. The "default" button should be there for you in Office 2003 for Windows just like it's there in Office XP (and even Office 97 for that matter...). It might be in a different place, but it should be there somewhere.

But if you do have to manually alter the Normal.dot template, that is certainly a major PITA-it's not easy to get to, it's "hidden" so it's hard to get AT once you find it's hiding place, and opening it to modify it is no cakewalk either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2007, 01:10 PM

Well, it's not "that" difficult. Go to Format > Styles and on the left is the Style sheet for the current document. Select Normal, and change its properties to what you want. Then click on the "Organizer" button in lower left corner. In that dialog click on the Normal on left screen and then click "Copy" button and it copies to the Normal template. When you click OK, the Normal template now has the new Normal font properties.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules