Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which MacBook Pro is the best for me?

Which MacBook Pro is the best for me?
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2009, 09:37 PM

I'm looking to pick up a 15" MacBook Pro. It will be mostly for general computer use, web surfing, office but I will be doing some light Photoshop and video editing for personal use. I'd appreciate some input as to which model would best suit my needs. Thanks in advance.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2009, 02:24 AM

The biggest decision is whether you're getting the model with only integrated 9400M graphics or if you're getting one of the higher-end models. Personally, I'll always recommend against the integrated only model except in the most constrained of budgetary circumstances because while I think it's nice that Apple provides the lower-cost option, it doesn't feel right to me not to have dedicated graphics in a 15" Apple laptop.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

threestain
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2009, 05:16 AM

I would say for those needs the basic one would be fine - I've just picked up a 13"mbp (up from a TiBook) and it's super speedy!

DavoMrMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2009, 11:13 AM

Not sure if this helps.

I have a review video of the 15-inch here;
YouTube - Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro (mid-2009) - The Definitive Review

and 13-inch here;
YouTube - Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro Mid-2009 Review

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 3, 2009, 09:48 PM

You'll be fine with the base model. It's plenty capable. Unless your "light Photoshop and video editing" means using a huge display and FCS3 apps like Motion, it'll be plenty good for what you do.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2009, 04:09 AM

The 9400M is a solid graphics part. I use it to play Unreal Tournament 3 (with Windows 7 / Boot Camp) and it's very capable. Unless you're a "hard-core" gamer or 3D artist, save yourself $500.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2009, 04:20 AM

Unless you really need the bigger screen, go with the 13" model. It's lighter, more portable, and so very, very cool, and it's not any less expandable than the 15". Personally, now that it doesn't have an ExpressCard slot anymore, the 15" model seems like kind of a waste unless you really need that 9600M GPU, and you probably don't unless you're a gamer. I myself have a 15" MBP (the older model with an ExpressCard slot in it) and haven't noticed much of a difference between the 9600M and the 9400M for my uses, other than the 9600M draining the battery faster.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2009, 02:02 PM

Any new MBP will provide the basic horsepower to meet the relatively minimal needs described, but larger display sizes and more pixels are far superior for graphics, spreadsheets and IMO even for web surfing. Unless one is constantly on airplanes, bigger is much better during actual usage.

I transport a 17" MBP daily and find the extra screen real estate, pixels and EC/34 slot well worth the pound extra weight over the 15" or the 2 pounds over the 13".
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 8, 2009 at 02:09 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules