Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 5)
TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 01:48 AM

Harpoonface: I got the Nike Epic 1 from Finish Line for $64.99. Great price! I was able to stop by a local sporting goods store to check it out before buying it. I think that it should be able to fit the 15" PB just fine (in its padded laptop sleeve) AND have enough room for a few books and folders. It's not the roomiest backpack out there, so it won't fit tons of books and other stuff. But it should hold a few books and some of your stuff too. There are lots of storage space, including a wet storage area at the bottom of the backpack. I love the look, color, and design of the Nike bag.

( Last edited by TheIceMan; Nov 26, 2003 at 01:54 AM. )

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 02:24 AM

I am tall and the horizontal cases tend to really get in the way on the subway. I would love to get a vertical style case. I was thinking of a booq bag.. i see a lot of them at ebags as well though. Does anyone have a suggestion for a vertical style case.. or should i go with the booq.

cheers.

ihobson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 05:55 AM

Well everyone's added their 2cents so here's mine.

I got some Waterfield stuff a few months ago - sleeve, pouch, iSight case, and camera case. And I have to say they are very well made, look great, and work well. Plus the service is first class.

I got complete replies within hours to my (many) questions before ordering. I ordered on Wednesday pm my time and received at home in the UK less than 48 hours later (still waiting for an Apple store UK order I made at the same time).

They have all sorts of alternatives as well - backpacks, messenger bags etc. I like the way you can mix and match with the same style to build up your own solution. They also ensure a perfect fit for each model of laptop (eg TiBook vs AlBook)

I don't have any stake in Waterfield other than as a happy customer.

They're over at http://www.sfbags.com if you want to find them.

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2003, 01:02 PM

It's on ebay: Shame on me right?

Well, I don't use it... only used it about a dozen times in a year
and I'd rather sell it off and use the money for the holidays.

Regards,
Ghost_flash

Here is where you can view my auction:

rfxs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2003, 12:35 AM

Pelican makes two bombproof laptop cases. The 1470 and the 1490. I was wondering how a PB15 would fit the 1470. It is a few inches smaller than the 1490, but I think there would be enough room left for the charger and some misc. gear. I know it fits, but I don't think it leaves much room. I can't imagine traveling with anything less than these waterproof cases...but they are heavy and it would be nice if I could go with the smaller 1470.

thanks

jamester
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 09:43 AM

I ordered myself a Waterfield Designs sleevecase last night for my 12" powerbook. I should receive it by Wednesday. I chose Waterfield because of some good reviews and the fact that I can build my own custom solution from products they offer - I can get attractive cases for my iPod, my iSight, and my digital camera, for instance. Then get a Cargo bag to hold it all together. =)

A piece at a time, that's my plan.
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 11:50 AM

Hi folks, lot of questions and answers on here so I'll try not to rehash. I was wondering if any Canadians have any specific experience with any of these bags/bag companies? I'd rather order within Canada or from a US retailer that's really good at shipping to Canada, as I want it quick and don't want to get screwed on customs etc. I wish I could find some of this stuff locally. Specifically, I need a sleeve or some such for my 12" PB. I already have a vertical messenger type bag that I think would work great as the case for the sleeve. Weather resistant would be nice but not necessary. Cheers.

Edit: well I couldn't wait. The booq PowerSleeve 12 looks really good and suits my style as it looks a lot like a record bag. So I bit the bullet and paid that $52US fedex shipping to Canada. I hope it's worth it.
( Last edited by uv23; Dec 1, 2003 at 03:58 PM. )

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 11:36 PM

I got the Crumpler Weebee for my 12" PB:

It's just so hip. It makes me feel urban and cool, even if I'm not.

jendmb34
Dec 2, 2003, 10:06 PM

i thought this was a really great review, with nice pictures, for anyone considering the tom bihn id bag. i'm sold on it and the brain cell. i wish they still had the black/silver/periwinkle option instead of black/silver/sapphire for the id. i think periwinkle looks great in the pics on this site.

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/tom-bih...ag-review.html

http://www.tombihn.com/

uv23
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 04:48 PM

Figured I'd put a link to my Booq PowerSleeve 12 review in the sticky thread, so people can find it later: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=191595

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 01:40 AM

I'm a backpack kind of person, and prefer them over cases (or any hand-carried baggage). I like the InCase Sling Pack, but I also found that the Samsonite 225-series Outliners Connection backpack is both affordable and sturdy. Its got a padded back and straps, which makes it comfy to carry even heavy loads (its 2 bags-in-1). Seems to be ideal for college students or people who like backpacks.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2003, 06:49 AM

that samsonite backpack looks interesting. do you know what the size fit for a 12" powerbook is like with college textbooks?

thanks

Bonhomme7heures
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 02:46 PM

I just received my Marware Sportfolio Sleeve.

It's a perfect "snuggle" fit for my 15" AL Powerbook.

I really recommend it. It's going to fit perfectly in another carrying bag or my actual backpack.

http://marware.com/SFSleeves.html

I think that the most important feature is the the protection that's inside the zipper so it will not scratch the powerbook.

http://marware.com/SFSleeveDetail4.html

Have a nice day!
------------
Black Macbook
2Gb RAM

Formely: 15" ALU powerbook 512mb RAM

futurist
Dec 10, 2003, 03:14 AM

anyone using the hedgren extreme (show on the main page on their site) http://www.hedgren.com. Looks cool and alot of spaces And also the whole backback is like the case Anakin use in starwar. wonder if anyone using it? need some feeback. Look at incase back back and this hedgren. thanks

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 11:25 AM

futurist, I don't own one, but I did consider it with the Samsonite backpack connection. The Hedgren model (the Extreme Profile Collection, if I'm not mistaken) has a very nice organized interior. There's room for your pens, CDs, a book or two (or paper notebook), the laptop itself, and the like. The back is stiffly padded and I think will be able to take a beating.

However, one thing I noticed is that the fit and comfort of the bag will depend on how wide you are. The back padding arcs to provide some form of back support to ease carrying heavy loads, but for people who are ... "horizontally challenged" (like me) or have broad bodies, then the arc edges will be bothersome (because it doesn't encompass the whole back). Best to try it on your back to know how it feels.

domymel
Dec 12, 2003, 07:08 PM

Pro File 15 Shoulder Case by Brenthaven
I saw it in the Apple store online, while looking for a bag for my 15" Al. The main concern is the size of the compartment. Is it too tight for the Al?

brentahven bag at the apple store

Cheers,
Dom

(",)PB12
Dec 14, 2003, 04:51 PM

Can somebody teach me to use the Crumpler Very Busy Man. I just got mine today and i have no idea how to sling it around me. There's an extra strap to clip on to the other side of the bag ... i'm totally lost there.
And the straps are kindda funny they are sewn diagonally instead of straight up so that got me too ... how do i use this bag? ha ha

Lost&Confuse

(",)PB12
Dec 14, 2003, 06:22 PM

i'd really appreciate it if someone will post pics of somebody posing with the bag slinged on them ha ha thanks alot.

badtz
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2003, 05:04 AM

http://www.willowdesign.com/SLV-22.html

if someone could post a review after they receive the new willow case minimus bag, that'd be great

curious

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Dec 20, 2003, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by geeoff:
I was really interested in that bag, but the specs on Timbuk2's web site for the laptop compartment looked too small for my new Al 15". Does it fit alright? Have you had a good experience with it yet?
I bought a Timbuk2 case for my Al 15" and it's just /wonderful/. The laptop fits in snugly and the case can fit a bunch of other stuff too... makes my backpack obsolete.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

pimephalis
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2003, 08:08 PM

I am seriously considering purchasing a Crumpler bag in the coming weeks, but I'd like to get a better idea of the dimensions of the bag on a person's body. Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I can't really take HxWxL and translate that size into something real and visual.

Does anyone know where I might find some photos of these bags on people rather than on the shelf? Could you lucky owners out there take photos of yourselves/loved ones/total strangers wearing these bags and post them? I'd be forever grateful...
Swimming upstream since 1994.

Eciton
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2003, 03:23 AM

Slashdot just posted a thread on this topic.
Here

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 12:19 AM

My Sportfolio II for 12" PB just arrived today. This is such a nice bag! This is my first laptop bag (well actually its a sleeve) but its so much better than just stuffing the PB in my backpack. It's very protective, has room for lots of cables and power supply, and comes with a strap. I like how it has this rubbery kind of material to protect it. It's a great buy and perfect for people who want to carry just the powerbook with not so many extras and want it to be protected.

TribeLeader
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 10:35 PM

Question, how well does the Booq PS17 work for the 15" PB? It's listed as an "ideal alternative." The PS15 is out of stock till 1/30/04. Thanks!

baglunch
Forum Regular
Jan 6, 2004, 02:02 AM

Marware just posted the product info for their new "CEO Milano Leather Brief"

Looks good to me so far, sounds like everything i've been looking for: a sleek, business minded briefcase that will fit my 17" powerbook plus minimal accessories for work.

Hopefully MWSF will churn out some tough competitors to this case.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by pimephalis:
I am seriously considering purchasing a Crumpler bag in the coming weeks, but I'd like to get a better idea of the dimensions of the bag on a person's body. Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I can't really take HxWxL and translate that size into something real and visual.

Does anyone know where I might find some photos of these bags on people rather than on the shelf? Could you lucky owners out there take photos of yourselves/loved ones/total strangers wearing these bags and post them? I'd be forever grateful...
unfortunately, i do not own one of these backpacks, but i was in micro anvika here in london a few days ago and i saw that they had the "farmer's double" backpack... i think it was that one. i have to admit it is rather nice. it has a weird zip though. the zip goes behind the shoulderstraps, and then the whole bag kinda folds outwards. interesting. it is a bit long also. as in from top to bottom. i am around 190cm (6'1 ((i think)) and it fit my back comfortably.

on another note.
i just placed and order for the bp3 system from booqbags.com. i have been looking for a backpack for a while, and i really like the bp3. i just noticed that booq have released a small version of their boa.xl 17", called the mamba.xs. it is very nice, but it does not seem to have much room for college books, like the bp3.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 05:06 AM

Anyone know this brand making custom bags for surfing, with a hard back ? They can even be custom painted...
Couldn't find them in these listings

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2004, 05:54 PM

So, finally, what models from www.crumplerbags.com are suited/aimed for the 17" Al PowerBook?

baglunch
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2004, 07:45 PM

according to the site, the crisp suit, and the very busy man.

stronzo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2004, 08:23 PM

does anyone have any experience with the timbuk2 detour? will it fit the new 15" PB?

beamso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by pimephalis:

If you download the PDF catalogue from their website here
the final page has a model wearing most of the bags in the 2004 catalogue.

beamso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by (",)PB12:
Can somebody teach me to use the Crumpler Very Busy Man. I just got mine today and i have no idea how to sling it around me. There's an extra strap to clip on to the other side of the bag ... i'm totally lost there.
And the straps are kindda funny they are sewn diagonally instead of straight up so that got me too ... how do i use this bag? ha ha

Lost&Confuse
I never thought I'd post this, but... I wear it with the main strap over my left shoulder, across my ribcage and under my right arm. I find that I put it on by picking it up by the strap with my right hand, putting my right arm through it while lifting it up and then putting it over my head and placing the strap on my left shoulder.

The other strap that you speak of (the third leg) is kinda useless unless you've got the bag on while riding a bike of either kind, but then it's really useful.

kjm
Jan 11, 2004, 08:09 AM

Looking to get a bag/sleeve for our new 12" PowerBook and wondering if anyone has tried the Brenthaven Mobility 1 Messenger Bag?

</kjm>
12" PowerBook G4 SD AE

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2004, 09:07 PM

I just want to post an update. I finally got my NEW 15" Al PB and have tested it with the Epic 1 backpack.

Let me first say, ohmygod! The 15" fits almost perfectly inside the padded sleeve which is suspended inside. The padding on the back of the backpack is superb and adjustable according to how tall you are. There are several storage areas, one of these fits the PowerBook AC plug perfectly.

And just in case you are worried that the backpack offers only back padding, it comes with the plastic outer casing which is beautifully designed to protect the font and sides.

But wait, Nike has even thought of the top corners of the laptop which might be prone to damage even inside the sleeve. So when you zip up the backpack there is also a cord which you latch onto the front and this pulls the back into the casing. Just imagine an accordion when it contracts.

By far, the best $76.84 I have EVER spent, considering that retail price is $150.00! Absolutely perfect. Now all I need is a gun and a girl and I'll be ready for my James Bond mission.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by kjm:
Looking to get a bag/sleeve for our new 12" PowerBook and wondering if anyone has tried the Brenthaven Mobility 1 Messenger Bag?

I wish they made a Mobility style bag for the 17" albook.

Right now I'm also in the market for a shoulder bag for my 17". Currently I'm looking at the:

Tom Bihn Courier/Trager bag:

pro: braincell, sturdy, somewhat more stylish than others
con: not d-ring style strap system.

the waterfield large cargo bag:

pro: solid, somewhat more hip
con: non-removable strap, flap doesn't covr laptop section

the brenthaven professional 17":

pro: tank, removable shoulder strap
con: huge, somewhat ugly

Right now i'm leaning towards the Tom Bihn bag, unless someone knows of a similar bag that is better. I know Tom Bihn is coming out with a new larger bag soon, but the last thing i want is a bigger bag.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 03:47 PM

The new Mamba from Booqbag looks pretty cool for 12-inchers. If anyone orders one of these please share your impressions.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 07:18 PM

fedex just dropped off my bp.3[system] bp.3[system]. i am very impressed with it.

the images make the bag look a lot bigger. i really like the size, it is not huge, but definately not small.

the powersleeve 12 that i got with it is nice. fits so very snug in the laptop compartment of the backpack.

all in all the backpack was a bit pricey, but hey, for a $2,000 laptop, i am cool with spending a bit to make sure it is not bouncing around my backpack or anything.

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2004, 11:05 PM

I'm looking for a bag for a 17" powerbook. I would like a bag with no flap and two zippered pockets. I need the second pocket to be larger than the one on the brenthaven 17" bag sold by Apple.

Thanks,
Josh

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 04:13 PM

have you thought about the boa.xl from booqbags.com. it has two compartments.

i am not sure about the size though.

darkhawk64
Jan 17, 2004, 09:14 PM

Hey everyone-
I'm getting my 15" 1.25 Ghz PB delivered on Tuesday, and I want to get a case for it. I've already ordered the Booq Powersleeve 15, but it won't ship until at least the end of this month, and I want something sooner. I'm looking at the Macally Designer Protoge, but I haven't seen one in person or read reviews about it. Anyone have one of these, or just seen one? Thanks for the help!
jared
Here's the page for the bag in question
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by darkhawk64:
Hey everyone-
I'm getting my 15" 1.25 Ghz PB delivered on Tuesday, and I want to get a case for it. I've already ordered the Booq Powersleeve 15, but it won't ship until at least the end of this month, and I want something sooner. I'm looking at the Macally Designer Protoge, but I haven't seen one in person or read reviews about it. Anyone have one of these, or just seen one? Thanks for the help!
jared
Here's the page for the bag in question
I ordered this same bag last Friday for my 17" and it looks promising. They are due to ship next week (so says the rep at Macally). I am pretty sure they were just released at Macworld SF so you may be hard pressed to find someone that has one.

mwyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
The new Mamba from Booqbag looks pretty cool for 12-inchers. If anyone orders one of these please share your impressions.
Just received the Mamba. Unfortunately, my new pb is in transit between here and Taiwan.

Seems like it will fit pb, a file folder or two, and pda just fine. Looks good, feels good. Has external zipper to attach to something bigger if you desire, not sure what though.

I'll post follow up if, and when the pb arrives.

Eciton
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2004, 04:14 PM

Just received my Crumpler Wee Bee in Navy / Silver from Cancom, which cost me �63 GBP.

12" iBook fits it nicely, and overall the build-quality, fit and finish is excellent. One small pouch under the main velcro flap, one tiny mesh pocket inside and enough room inside (other than the laptop sleeve) for about another iBook, maybe a bit more.

Perhaps could have done with paying a little less for it, given that it is just a small messenger bag, but it's very nice.

Along with the Apple Keyboard, iCurve and Kensington TurboBall that I bought along witth it, it feels like Christmas

toxin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 02:47 AM

What would be a good backpack for a 12" PB with about 3-4 books and a notebook. I have been checking most of the vendors but it seems like the nice looking ones,like brentahaven, would be able to fit one book, two max. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

Toxin
( Last edited by toxin; Jan 28, 2004 at 01:24 PM. )

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2004, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the note, mwyman. I'm seriously thinking of getting this bag. I'm curious as to how the strap configurations really work. Does it seem like the backpack-style works? Especially for the one-strap-over-the-shoulder kind of carry? Thanks.

mwyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by KeyLimePi:
curious as to how the strap configurations really work. Does it seem like the backpack-style works? Especially for the one-strap-over-the-shoulder kind of carry? Thanks.
regarding the mamba.xs from booq
The strap config has options. You can hook a single strap to carry vert, horiz, or hook diag and it it fits like wearing one strap of a backpack. Or you can hook both straps and actually wear like a backpack. Or no straps and carry vert briefcase-style. Nice, light, fits plenty, and is as minimilistic as most would need.

hostvisions
Jan 28, 2004, 04:00 PM

I'll chime in here, got the brenthaven bag for my 17" a few days ago, and it is probably the best bag I've ever owned. Very solid, reeks of quality, and I think I could fling it across the room with my PB inside without damage (not that I'd try). The shoulder strap is very comfortable, and the bag overall feels 'just right'. Very light.

badtz
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2004, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by mwyman:
regarding the mamba.xs from booq
The strap config has options. You can hook a single strap to carry vert, horiz, or hook diag and it it fits like wearing one strap of a backpack. Or you can hook both straps and actually wear like a backpack. Or no straps and carry vert briefcase-style. Nice, light, fits plenty, and is as minimilistic as most would need.
too bad they don't make the mamba for the 15"!

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 10:10 AM

Thanks again, mwyman. And I'm glad to hear that it's kind of a minimalist bag. I may have to treat myself to a Mamba for Valentine's Day. I like my OGIO Clip, but the shoulder strap just doesn't cut it.

aquaslave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2004, 12:15 AM

hi all

i have been looking at this thread for a while now and found only one (or maybe two) references to Jambags.com Binder for the powerbook.

Does anyone have this or been exposed to it? I have a 12" powerbook at home and I am basically looking for some kind of binder/sleeve which will allow me to protect the book when not in use but at the same time, allow me to work on the book without having to remove it from a binder/sleeve. I am not looking for a backpack or some such at this point. I could just slip the binder/sleeve into my existing backpack.

Looking forward to your reviews and/or alternative suggestions.

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules