Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A Guide to MacBook RAM Upgrades

A Guide to MacBook RAM Upgrades (Page 4)
MotoArtDesign
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2010, 01:21 PM

Hey bbluvva, You definitely want Mac Compatible RAM, because as I understand it, Mac RAM can be slightly different from the industry standard stuff that goes into a PC. I had really good luck with my MacBook going from 2GB to 6GB, with Ramjet RAM. The performance of the computer is a lot better, and the price was great:
MacBook Memory and Hard Drive Upgrades - Ramjet Inc.
( Last edited by MotoArtDesign; Jul 13, 2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Type)

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 13, 2010, 09:29 PM

If it meets the specs, it's Mac Compatible. Buy whatever is cheapest with a lifetime warranty.

safetyobc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2010, 09:53 AM

I have a MacBookPro3,1 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz. It currently has 2GB of RAM which came with the system. If I read the opening right, it can only use 3GB total? If this is true, I can simply buy 1 2GB stick of RAM and put in the system? Any reason to add 2 x 2GB sticks if it only uses 3?

Thanks,

g2redgsr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2010, 05:14 PM

I have a question i was hoping someone could help me out with, i dont exactly remember when i bought my macbook pro 2.4ghz 15.4 inch but it says that i need 677mhz sdram ddr2 5300, i want to upgrade to 3 or 4gb because my computers using up all its memory now when i play starcraft 2. When searching for this memory i see that theres 240 pin and 200 pin, which one do i need? Thanks a lot!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 15, 2010, 09:44 PM

g2redgsr, where are you looking for RAM? If you look for RAM for a MacBook Pro by model, you'll get the right stuff. Try Crucial's site (RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, flash cards, SSD at Crucial.com), for details.

2.4GHz MBPs take 200-pin SO-DIMMs.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

82ghost82
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2010, 10:12 AM

Hi all!
I want to report my experience of today:
I have a 15" macbook pro (MB134LL/A) 2,5 Ghz core 2 duo.
I also have an hp 6930p elitebook that I don't use (I received it for work but I use the macbook pro): this laptop come with 4 gb ram (2x2gb, PC2-6400, 800 Mhz).

My macbook came with 2x1 gb ram (PC2-5300, 667 Mhz).

So I wanted to change my 2x1gb with 2x2gb: my first test was to change only one slot so I installed 1x1gb (the original) in bank 0 and 1x2gb (the hp one) in bank 1.
The macbook booted correctly and system profile showed 3 gb of installed ram: of course the 1x2gb was downclocked from 800 Mhz to 667 Mhz.

Second test was to replace both the slots with the PC2-6400 800 Mhz: the system didn't boot, I could hear the superdrive, but the screen was black.
I tried to boot the system with only 1x2gb 800 Mhz but the results were the same.

So, searching the internet I found my solution: SPDTool (to modify the SPD EEPROM).
I install 1x1gb (original) in bank 0, 1x2gb (800 Mhz) in bank 1 and booted windows thorugh bootcamp.
With SPDTool I read the memory in bank 1, changed the CAS from 2.5 ns (800 Mhz) to 3 ns (667 Mhz), Fixed the checksum and wrote the new data.
Then I installed the modified 1x2gb in bank 0 and the other 1x2gb (800 Mhz) in bank 1 and the system started correctly with 4 gb of ram.

Hope this helps somebody
( Last edited by 82ghost82; Sep 23, 2010 at 05:01 AM. )

MBBM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2010, 10:16 AM

I recently upgraded my RAM from 4GB (2X2GB) to 8GB (2X4GB) and after reading more and more discussions, am starting to believe that maybe I don't do quite enough to justify the upgrade. I do a lot of video format converting (i.e. .flv -> .m4v) to change windows compatible formats to those usable on MAC OS. I also tend to multi-task often. I understood the first post in this thread to say that, though the 2010 MBP function with 8GB installed, the entirety of the 8GB isn't used because the MBP is limited to 6GB. Is this correct? If so, then 8GB is pointless to have........... I'm thinking my money would be better spent on upgrading the 5400 RPM hard drive!!

JamesBurgos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2010, 07:06 PM

So, I have the MacBook with Core 2 Duo and Crestline chipset (Late 2007, Early 2008, Late 2008 white): 4GB / 6GB ****

Considering it's late 2010, have there been any developments since the original post that would allow me stick two 4gb chips in my macbook? Or is the 6gb limit still applicable?

Also, what exactly does it mean in a little more lay terminology to add mismatch vs. dual pairs of memory to my book. I do heavy graphic and audio processing so I want to be sure the upgrade is worth it. Its seem my computer took a big performance hit when I upgraded to snow leopard as my audio apps run like crap now.

thanks
James

jelly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2010, 07:04 PM

If anyone has a solution, or at least an explanation, for why my MacBook 2.1Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo won't recognize new RAM unless the factory RAM is loaded in one of the slots I'd be grateful. In other words, if I install both 2 GB RAM modules, I can't boot. However, if I replace either of the 2 GB modules with either of the original, factory 512s, in either slot, my Book boots and recognizes at total of 2.5 GBs of RAM. I've got 2 @ Corsair DDR2 2GB 5300 SO-D 200-pin 667M. There are lots of threads out in the world about this but no solutions. The advice is identical: Bad RAM, the wrong RAM, not installed all the way, etc. It's most common with the 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duos with Boot ROM Version MB41.00C1.B00. At this point I'm suspecting it's just a design defect of this particular chipset, but any solution to this funky weirdness would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jelly in Texas

jelly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2010, 07:13 PM

To mismatch RAM is to do what I'm currently doing: I have 512 MB in one slot, 2 GB in the other. Paired RAM would be to have 2 x 512 MB, 2 x 1 GB, 2 x 2 GB, and so on, ideally by the same manufacturer, although I'm not sure this is as important as merely having matched sizes.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2011, 07:51 AM

I'm going to chime in here on the subject of my Unibody Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro. I suspect what I have to say will apply to all subsequent MBPs and some MacBooks up until the new Thunderbolt batch.

These machines are the ones which require 1066MHz RAM. More often than not, it is fine to put in faster rated RAM to an older machine, as long as it is backwards compatible. I installed 4GB of Team 1333MHz RAM into mine and it was recognised just fine. About this Mac even spotted it was 1333 instead of 1066. Ever since then however, I have experienced frequent crashes with a variety of apps.

Safari has been the worst culprit by a million miles. OK, I use it more than most and I tend to abuse it by leaving hundreds of tabs open (Sometimes it literally was over a hundred) but it was getting stupid. Facebook would cause it to quit instantly. Sometimes it would be ok for a day, sometimes it would quit loading the top sites page. It seemed more likely to do that just after a previous quit.
Flash would increase the likelihood considerably. (No surprise there). I took to using Firefox for certain sites and anything flash heavy but even that would quit sometimes.

Handbrake was another one that got the quitting bug fairly often. Things like MSN and iTunes were far less frequent but still more than they had been previously and the thing would never ever shut down. Just spinning gear for ages until I got bored waiting.
Quicklook in finder was another good way of getting it to crash, as was playing avis in QT via Perian. VLC was more stable but even that would hang more than usual.

At first I thought this was all down to my massively overfilled hard drive. Its a 640GB WD (though I paid a little extra for one with better seek time) but I had filled it all the way up and made room and filled up repeatedly. Plus I dropped last time I had it removed and it makes odd noises if I stand the MBP on end so it seemed a fair bet.

Yesterday I pulled the 4GB upgrade and replaced the factory 2GB 1066 RAM and while its definitely achingly slower, Safari has yet to crash once. Despite playing some flash vids.

I had been looking at getting an 8GB upgrade which is what had prompted the experiment. OWC normally sells faster RAM for older machines where it is fine to do so , but they still only list 1066 upgrades for these, not 1333s. It seems using faster RAM on these particular machines is not a good idea. Not sure why and its a pity as 1333 would obviously transfer to a new one if someone happened to throw a couple of grand into my lap (or maybe 10, got bigger priorities at the mo) but there it is.

My warning for now, don't put 1333MHz RAM into 1066MHz Macs. I'm going to get 8GB of 1066 to put in mine. It will be Team again since its 30% cheaper than the Kingston I used to prefer and has the all important lifetime warranty. I'll report back here if it doesn't work out.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2011, 09:45 AM

Well it could be that one of your 1333MHz chips was bad. From your report you can't really draw the conclusions you have. You would have to put in some different 1333 stick to see if it was the clock speed or the ram itself that was at fault.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2011, 10:30 AM

Ordinarily I'd agree with that but I'm also going by the fact that OWC do not support use of 1333MHz in 1066MHz Macs. Those guys have way more RAM to test than I do and I trust that unlike some vendors, they don't make you buy more expensive RAM when its not required. I even queried them about it. I didn't get anything explicit from the tech support guy I spoke to in terms of an explanation but he did confirm they didn't recommend using 1333 in the older units. I have dealt with them for years and I trust them not to rip people off just because they can get away with it.

That said, I will have access to some Apple supplied 2GB 1333MHz sticks in the not too distant. I will give those a try too maybe, though I am getting fed up opening this thing, I have three screws missing, two of them because the thread in the aluminium cross bar that separates the battery bay from the rest has somehow been threaded in the two middle screw holes. They just fall out now.

It seems the latency is lower on 1066 too so it might actually be faster given this one won't run at 1333 speeds.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2011, 04:10 PM

Been running 8GB of Team 1066MHz RAM all day and its absolutely fine.

alankoa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2011, 07:53 AM

MacBook Pro with Core Duo (Early 2006, Mid 2006 17"): 2GB **
**) The Calistoga chipset supports addressing of up to 3GB, but Apple limited the CD MacBook (Pro) to 2GB in firmware.

So is there any way to increase from my 2gb ram to 3gb?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2011, 02:22 PM

No.

beaches85
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2011, 10:59 PM

I have a Late 2007 MacBook (Model MB061LL/B), which had been running off 2 x 2 GB just fine for over a year. Apparently, one of the RAM slots has gone bad because anytime I put any module (tested working) in one of the slots (Bank 1), the machine won't startup and gives 3 beeps when powering on. So, knowing that the one slot has gone bad, after reading this and other sources (i.e. MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.0 13" (White-SR) Specs (Late 2007, MB061LL/B, MacBook3,1, A1181, 2200) @ EveryMac.com), I decided to purchase a single 4 GB module so that I can at least run off 4 GB in the single working slot.

I ordered a Samsung 4GB module (model M470T5267AZ3), which is PC6400 (800 Mhz) memory. When inserting that module into the working slot, I turn the machine on but I just get a black screen - no beeps, no nothing. When taking out the 4 GB and replacing it with one of the old 2 GB modules, and it started up fine.

According to everything I've read, there is not an issue with Santa Rosa MacBooks and 800 Mhz memory....in this post, there is the discussion of Penryn MacBooks having an issue with 800 Mhz RAM, but I haven't seen anything about Santa Rosa MacBooks having an issue running 800 Mhz RAM at 667 Mhz. I suppose there is a slight possibility that the 4 GB Samsung module I have is bad, but I am curious to hear if anyone else has seen or heard of issues with my specific model and running off 800 Mhz RAM....

Larsito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2011, 06:37 AM

Hi,

thank you for this great information about the upgrade options of Apple Laptops. If have learned so far that I can update my late 2006 / early 2007 MBP 15" to 3GB. As i have already 2x1GB, I could just exchange on of them with a new 2GB. Would it worth be the money to get 2x2GB for paired memory usage, since I will not be able to use the forth GB of RAM?

Thx!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2011, 02:54 PM

No.

bigboyows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2011, 04:51 PM

Both Crucial and Apple verify my MB serial number as being late 2007 model, which is a Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz with 800 MHz FSB and a GMA X3100, so a a Crestline C2D MacBook.

Was currently running x2 1Gb setup, and decided to buy x2 2Gb modules. I actually bought x3 Kingston modules as I have upgraded a 2006 Macbook Pro to 3Gb no problems, and all these new 2Gb modules work in the Macbook Pro.

I have a similar problem as a post on 30 June 2008, when I install the x2 2Gb modules in Macbook it doesn't boot, blank screen. However when i try a 1Gb and 2Gb setup (using both 2Gb modules) it boots ok to 3Gb, in any slot configuration.

Any ideas welcome, as I am stumped!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2011, 08:02 PM

What does System Profiler say your bus speed is? If it says 667MHz, you have a Mid 2007 Machine which will only run on a max 3GB. If you put 3GB into an original Core Duo MacBook, it does exactly what you describe and fails to boot.

The serial number tells you which week of 2007 it was made. The 4th and 5th digits are the week number. If the first two characters are 3R its a refurb so it may have been mistakenly identified by whoever refurbed it.

bigboyows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2011, 08:42 AM

Thanks for this info, the profiler definitely states its a 800Mhz FSB with GMA X3100, definitely not refurb and made week no 48!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2011, 12:02 AM

My 2006 C2D MBP runs fine with 3 GB RAM. Back then a 2-GB DIMM cost USD$400 so few folks put a second one in in just to see what happens.

-Allen

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2011, 05:13 AM

Well you've got me stumped too then. Its definitely a late 07. Should be happy up to 6GB RAM according to MT. Kingston RAM is normally very good so I can't imagine its a RAM quality issue.

Have you checked for a firmware update? There was one issued. (1.2)

bigboyows
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks for this info, all appreciated. Have checked both EFI and SMC versions against apple support site, and they are the latest too

JaimesBeam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2011, 12:00 PM

I have a selection of Apple Laptops: a couple of iBook G3's, iBook G4's,
PowerBook G4 Al, and a MacBook. I also have a selection of memory
cards labelled PC2-5300, PC2-4200, and PC2700.

I gather that the G3's take PC133 memory, the G4's take PC2700,
and the MacBook takes PC5300? The question is can any of the older
models use the ?faster? memory? 2GB for the MacBook is dirt cheap
from Crucial $30!!! Can the iBook G4 or PowerBook G4 use the faster
memory?

Thanks, Jim.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2011, 12:04 PM

No, sorry Jim.

shin_ra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2011, 01:58 AM

excuse, i want ask abou upgrade ram macbook white mid 2009.How much gb macbook white can be upgrade???
and if 6 or 8 gb have effect after upgrade ram???

Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2011, 12:37 PM

I have a MacBook Pro (Winter 2011) 15-inch with 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7.

Has anyone upgraded RAM to 8gigs, and where would you recommend buying from besides the Apple Store?

thank you

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2011, 12:26 PM

^^ I would go either with OWC (macsales.com) or trusty RAM sellers like Crucial, Kingston…

Now, I've got a question on upgrading the RAM for a Late 2008 MacBook Pro the first Apple laptop to feature the Unibody construction. I want to upgrade it to 8 GB RAM. I would say this is the right kind of RAM for a Late 2008 MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz 15" display. Is this accurate.?

Thanks.

iQuentin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2011, 01:27 PM

-Expert question about 6GB and dual channel mode-

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008) Intel core 2 Duo 2.5Ghz ("Penryn"), which mean i can address max 6GB.
I want to upgrade my memory (DDR2 so-dimm 667Mhz).

If i buy 2x4 = 8GB will i have 6GB with dual channel mode enabled ?
in other words, is it better than 2+4 = 6GB (without dual channel mode) ?

(i do a lot of video editing and i certainly need more memory AND good CPU speed)

If somebody knows, i'll would appreciate. Thanx

Macuser_dallas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2011, 02:56 AM

I have a Macbook1.1 Version . I see I can upgrade it to 2 GB Only. Can I upgrade just 1 2GB Ram and install or it should be 2 - 1GB Ram ??

It can hold only 2 GB or Can i try 4GB ram as well? Has any one tried it earlier ? Please give me some information. I am trying to help my friend's Laptop which is a MAC .

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 04:57 AM

It won't boot with more than 2GB in it. It should work with a single 2GB chip but you might find its a fraction quicker with a pair of 1GBs in there.

Kyzelios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2011, 06:26 PM

I have a Mid 2010 15-inch MacBook Pro with a 2.4 GHz Core i5 processor (MacBookPro6,2), which shipped with 4 GB of RAM from the factory. I have two SODIMM modules here that are rated to work at both PC3-8500 (1066MHz) and PC3-10600 (1333MHz), which I have installed into my unit for a total of 8 GB of RAM - tested with Apple Hardware Test (28 loops), memtest (45 passes), and TechTool Pro (3 passes at 60 minutes each) and it seems to be solid. System Profiler shows the memory operating at 1067MHz (same as the factory RAM).

However, that being said, I am concerned about having issues down the road with having this dual rated memory in my computer especially after reading some comments regarding the use of 1333MHz RAM in MacBook Pros that specify 1066MHz RAM. Can I get some thoughts on this please?

thanks!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kyzelios View Post
However, that being said, I am concerned about having issues down the road with having this dual rated memory in my computer especially after reading some comments regarding the use of 1333MHz RAM in MacBook Pros that specify 1066MHz RAM. Can I get some thoughts on this please?

thanks!
Put it through soome severe memory tests (like video encoding or some fractal computations) to test it now. If it works, worry not. Only a hardware failure of the ram would slow you down in the future.

The RAM speed rating is how fast it can operate. Running it slower (1066 vs. 1333) will not damage it. If anything, it will be better for the RAM, but not in any way you will ever detect.

I just ordered a refurbed Feb 2011 2.0GHz Core i7 MBP 15". I looked at maxing it out to 16Gb right away, but right now, 4GB SO-dimms are about $25 while 8GBs are $270 (OWC). Going to 8GB now is $50, but going to 16 is $540! I think I'll stick with the 4GB (2x2GB) for now.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

amanda.hansen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2011, 03:04 AM

Thanks so much, I like this !

ibook_steve
Dec 30, 2011, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Put it through soome severe memory tests (like video encoding or some fractal computations) to test it now. If it works, worry not. Only a hardware failure of the ram would slow you down in the future.

The RAM speed rating is how fast it can operate. Running it slower (1066 vs. 1333) will not damage it. If anything, it will be better for the RAM, but not in any way you will ever detect.

I just ordered a refurbed Feb 2011 2.0GHz Core i7 MBP 15". I looked at maxing it out to 16Gb right away, but right now, 4GB SO-dimms are about $25 while 8GBs are $270 (OWC). Going to 8GB now is $50, but going to 16 is $540! I think I'll stick with the 4GB (2x2GB) for now.
So does this mean that a mid 2010 MBP, though speced to 8 GB max can take 16 GB max with 8 GB modules? I'm at 8 GB right now and I'd love to bump it to 16.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
So does this mean that a mid 2010 MBP, though speced to 8 GB max can take 16 GB max with 8 GB modules? I'm at 8 GB right now and I'd love to bump it to 16.

Steve
Nope, the 2010s will only run 8GB. Mactracker will tell you this. Failing that, check the OWC website since they test every model to see for themselves.

ibook_steve
Jan 2, 2012, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Nope, the 2010s will only run 8GB. Mactracker will tell you this. Failing that, check the OWC website since they test every model to see for themselves.
Darn! I saw it in MacTracker, but I was hoping it could be one of those "untested" configurations that actually works.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

blainehoyt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2012, 10:43 PM

I seem to have a similar problem that several people posted earlier, but sadly there was no resolution to the issue. I've got a 2008 MBP 4,1 that originally had 2gb of ram that I'm trying to upgrade to 4gb. All of the stats on my system profiler are pointing towards the Crestline chipset (800 MHz bus, 2.6 GHz core 2 duo, etc...). However, whenever I put in 2x 2gb modules the computer will not start up, the internals start making a noise, then it hangs. And like others, a 1x 1gb and 1x 2gb combination works perfectly fine. It's not an issue with the RAM (both chips work fine separately... If anyone has any ideas please let me know, this is becoming quite frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Blaine Hoyt

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2012, 05:50 AM

The bus is 800MHz but the RAM should be 667MHz. You should be able to run up to 6GB in that unit.

blainehoyt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2012, 03:01 PM

The bus is 800MHz but the RAM should be 667MHz. You should be able to run up to 6GB in that unit.
I understand that it "should" be able to support up to 6gb, but mine isn't. Im trying to figure out what the issue is.

aks9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by blainehoyt View Post
I seem to have a similar problem that several people posted earlier, but sadly there was no resolution to the issue. I've got a 2008 MBP 4,1 that originally had 2gb of ram that I'm trying to upgrade to 4gb. All of the stats on my system profiler are pointing towards the Crestline chipset (800 MHz bus, 2.6 GHz core 2 duo, etc...). However, whenever I put in 2x 2gb modules the computer will not start up, the internals start making a noise, then it hangs. And like others, a 1x 1gb and 1x 2gb combination works perfectly fine. It's not an issue with the RAM (both chips work fine separately... If anyone has any ideas please let me know, this is becoming quite frustrating.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Blaine Hoyt
Hey blainehoyt, I have exactly the same issue as you do, same model mac and same RAM situation (but mine is from Crucial).

I have a Macbook Pro 4,1 - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 with 800mhz bus speed.
It currently has 2GB (1GBx2 ) and I ordered 2GBx2 from Crucial (4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300).
The machine will sometimes boot with just one of the 2GB chips, but never with both, and I've tried them in all combinations. I also get the "three beeps".

I even sent these modules back to Crucial and got new ones, thinking they were faulty, but I have the exact same problem with these. Sometimes with just one of the 2GB modules I can get the machine to boot but it soon kernel panics (if it doesn't kernel panic during boot instead of 3-beeping).

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

newington07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2012, 11:24 PM

Hi,

I currently have:
Unibody MacBook (late 2008) with two x 1GB PC3-8500 DDR3 RAM, 204 pins, 1066 MHz.

I am thinking of upgrading to 4GB total and have following questions:
- Is it a must that I get 2 x 2GB of 1066MHz freq? Or can I get 2 x 2GB of 1333Mhz?
- Do I need to get (2 x 2GB) OR (1 x 4GB) would do as well?

Also, I read on this site that after the EFI firmware upgrade, this model can support up to 8GB. Has any body experienced any issues with 8GB on this model?

Would appreciate a quick response. Thanks.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by newington07 View Post
Hi,

I currently have:
Unibody MacBook (late 2008) with two x 1GB PC3-8500 DDR3 RAM, 204 pins, 1066 MHz.

I am thinking of upgrading to 4GB total and have following questions:
- Is it a must that I get 2 x 2GB of 1066MHz freq? Or can I get 2 x 2GB of 1333Mhz?
- Do I need to get (2 x 2GB) OR (1 x 4GB) would do as well?

Also, I read on this site that after the EFI firmware upgrade, this model can support up to 8GB. Has any body experienced any issues with 8GB on this model?

Would appreciate a quick response. Thanks.
I have 8GB in mine and at current prices, I would recommend that you do that. I previously had 2x2GB 1333MHz in it and it crashed a lot. In theory it shouldn't have done that but it did and switching it out for 8GB of 1066 did the trick.

newington07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2012, 08:18 PM

I have 8GB in mine and at current prices, I would recommend that you do that. I previously had 2x2GB 1333MHz in it and it crashed a lot. In theory it shouldn't have done that but it did and switching it out for 8GB of 1066 did the trick.
Thanks. Will stick with 1066.

mmurf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2012, 12:33 AM

Yo- blainehoy and AKS 9,
I had the same problem with RAM i got from Crucial. Got it replaced- same problem again. I talked to a guy from macmodify.com and he said that macbook 4.1s seemed to have lots of ram issues. As he explained it- some manufacturers are simply labeling 800mhz as 667mhz because 667mhz is for the most part obsolete and 800mhz will work in its place 99% of the time. Unfortunately that other 1% applies to macbook 4.1's. The 800mhz you quoted only applies to the motherboard speed (I think?). 667mhz RAM only is what I was told. Heres where I got mine- (it works, finally): MacModify | Macbook Memory | Macbook RAM

philblumenfeld
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2012, 09:33 AM

I have a mid 2010 MBP that had 4gb of 1066mhz memory. I replaced it with 8gb of 1333mhz and now show 8gb at 800 mhz.

What happened?
Should I switch back?

Thanks in advance.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2012, 10:02 AM

Was it good quality RAM? Probably worth running the hardware test on your Mac. Boot holding the D key and test the memory.

Ethos Evoss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2012, 01:14 PM

HEllo fellas
Just quick question so I have purchased Mac bok pro Mid 2007 question is :

If I purchase --->> SAMSUNG 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR2 SODIMM memory 800MHz PC2-6400 200-PIN + SAMSUNG 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR2 SODIMM memory 800MHz PC2-6400 200-PIN
Will I be able to run 6GB running at 800MHz ?
Thnx

Forum Links
Forum Rules