Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Volume Control Lag

Volume Control Lag
brent0saurus
Sep 18, 2005, 11:12 PM

When I hold down the volume button and let go, the volume continues to go up (or go down, depending on if i held up or down) So it's like there is a lag in the volume buttons. And it happens ALL THE TIME. Even when i'm plugged in and no programs are running. I called applecare and the guy said it was completely normal and that all laptops do that, but all of my friends who have ibooks and powerbooks don't have this problem. And my powerbook never did that when i first got it...So i guess i'm asking why this is happening?? Does anyone else have this problem?
I have 1.5 GB of ram and when i took the RAM i added out it didn't make a difference.
I also created a new user to see if it would happen in the other user and it did.

cryer
Sep 18, 2005, 11:19 PM

you're talking about the F4 and F5 button?
i just tried holding down the F4 for volume down and the volume went one notch down and then stalled for just a second and then quickly went down all the way. is this what you mean? this seems normal to me

hickey
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2005, 11:32 PM

That sometime happens with my pbook, but only when im running lots of apps at once, including FCP and DVD studio. It also would happen on the iMacs at my old school, even when no apps were running.

brent0saurus  (op)
Sep 19, 2005, 12:32 AM

i mean that once you let go, it continues to go, when it should stop since you're not holding it anymore. When you first hold it, it waits for a little bit, depending on how you have your repeat rate in your keyboard settings, but mine just keeps going even when you let go. I don't think that's normal to happen all of the time. It should only happen if i'm running lots of apps...any suggestions? should i reinstall osx? i have applecare and it seems unfair that i should have to do work to fix the problem since it cost 300 dollars....but maybe i'm just being a baby. ha..

asodamiac
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 02:03 AM

my pb does that at times too, even when there arent many apps running and even at the best performance setting. in addition to that, it seems to stall when i press the power button. i just reset the NVRAM today, so maybe that will help.

nm.. the volume still does that (just checked).
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

Jens Peter
Senior User
Sep 19, 2005, 02:44 AM

I have the same problem - and I thought I was the only one...
When releasing the lolume down/up, I have a lag at sometimes up to 14 seconds, before the volume are finished being turned up or down.

I just opned Activity Monitor, and I can see, that my CPU usage are 99%... and Safari are using 80% ! Stupid update...

brent0saurus  (op)
Sep 19, 2005, 08:08 AM

But none of you had this problem when your powerbook was new, right? This just makes me mad because powerbooks are supposed to be awesome, and those new iBooks are soooo close to a powerbook, and for the price difference, the ibooks are well worth it (in my opinion). Anyway, i'd like to take my powerbook to an apple store and complain but i'm in college now and i'm sure they'd just tell me that it's normal or that it's too small of an issue to worry about. But i want my powerbook to be working perfectly!!! The thing cost way too much money to not work right.
does anyone know how to fix this issue? i was thinking about backing up all of my important files onto an external hard drive (which i will have to purchase soon) and then do a fresh install, but who knows. Any suggestions?

oh, and Jens peter, i think something might be wrong with your Safari....as i'm typing this message the cpu usage is 13% and when i'm not typing or doing anything it's basically zero. Maybe my computer is just messed up but 90% seems really high...

robisconfusedd
Sep 19, 2005, 10:14 AM

mines always done this, and when i had a loaner powerbook cuz my dvd drive broke it did this..

eh probably just button lag or something

Forum Links
Forum Rules