Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > spaces no more...

spaces no more...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2008, 05:55 PM

i used a mac mini for the last year, with spaces; set up separate windows for various apps, switched around from one to the other, got used to it.

i just moved to a new macbook this week, and...am NOT using spaces. seems...calmer. easy enough to hide apps, move around, without the screen flying all over the place.

just curious: anyone love spaces? hate it? i'm not missing it myself...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2008, 06:02 PM

I can't live without spaces, it is soooo much cleaner and more organized. six windows with one dedicated to mail, ical, browsers, stickies/ichat, word/preview files and misc. repectively

Gregg
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2008, 06:35 PM

I like Spaces. My better half hates it. Excel seems to misbehave more often when Spaces is active, so Spaces has been banished. The one "trick" if you want your Finder windows to appear in a dedicated Space, you have to be in it when you open the windows. At least that's how it worked for me. (using Leopard)
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2008, 06:26 PM

It has it's issues, but I do like spaces. I mainly keep everything in one space, but I have iTunes, video editors, and image editors all in separate spaces.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2008, 06:36 PM

I like it... i have 8

Safari
Mail
iCal and Adium
iTunes
Aperture
iWorks
iWeb
PS CS3 and Photomatix

Seems to work great. I wish they was two setups though, one for single monitor and one for dual monitor setup!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2008, 06:48 PM

i think i just got annoyed watching the screens fly around...and do not find any significant difference in my work flow (between using and not-using spaces). whatever works i guess...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Cospefogo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2008, 07:30 PM

I tried to use spaces...
But I didn't see any advantages on it.

My first thought about Spaces (before buying my iMac) was that I
could be able to have different desktops for each "space", I mean: In one space
some wallpapers and some shortcuts. In other, a different
wallpaper and other row of shortcuts, folders, etc...

But in the end it is nothing like that, and it really
did not catch my attention at all.

C.

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2008, 06:13 AM

just try it, dedicate a few different apps to a few different spaces and see what you think

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
just try it, dedicate a few different apps to a few different spaces and see what you think
a suggestion for me? (original poster...); i USED it for a year, am not on my new mac, and not missing it; seems 'calmer' without the screen flying around, and, using "hide" instead works for me...

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 8, 2008, 01:29 PM

i used it when i first upgraded to Leopard but i was writing my dissertation and work seemed to hate it, was always fighting to be in Space 1 even though i told it to be in Space 2, but half of it kept on managing to get onto Space 1 leaving u in some kind of limbo between the two and i couldn't face it no more so i turned it off, and havent turned it on since even though i have finished my dissertation, i think i would def use it if i didnt have dual screen however
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2008, 01:37 PM

I like and use spaces. I'm not a heavy user of it, typically 2 or three.
1. Vmware - makes a huge difference since I run windows full screen mode
2. Finder/email/Safari
3. Photoshop/Bridge

Basically if I run an app like PS or VMWare in full screen, I use a space for it. for me it works well, though some apps have issues with it. RapidWeaver can give me fits because of spaces.
~Mike

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 8, 2008, 07:08 PM

I too cannot live without Spaces. Coming from a Linux environment where I was able to have multiple desktops, Spaces made me feel right at home. I was up to 6 different Spaces about a few months ago. I finally cut it back to 4, and was still able to keep things clean. I think it makes everything so much more organized. You don't have 10 different applications open in the same Space.

My Setup:
1-Safari/Mail *Mail is usually minimized*
2-Textmate/Photoshop *One at a time*
3-Adium/iTunes *Most times both*
4-Transmission/Limewire/Toast *Usually one at a time*

Give it a fair shot, I'm sure you'll love it. =]

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2008, 07:50 PM

I'd use it if I could set the time to switch to spaces to zero. I move between apps enough that I get sick of watching the animation.

ImpulseResponse

richwig83
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero View Post
I'd use it if I could set the time to switch to spaces to zero. I move between apps enough that I get sick of watching the animation.
That must be possible somehow!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero View Post
that's my thing too...i realized i could go back to hiding apps etc, and give up the animation...

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
i used a mac mini for the last year, with spaces; set up separate windows for various apps, switched around from one to the other, got used to it. i just moved to a new macbook this week, and...am NOT using spaces. seems...calmer. easy enough to hide apps, move around, without the screen flying all over the place.
9 spaces here; only 4 dedicated now. (the rest are for future expansion. I just like the 3 X 3 square).

Space 1: main space (Safari, TextEdit, and a bunch of other apps as needed); Space 2: Terminal;
Space 4: Apple's Dictionary (great Wikipedia search interface it is); Space 5: Activity Monitor and
Console. (sometimes i push some window into an unused space to hide it till later, whatever).
  • "screen flying all over the place" ???
Guess i'm just not that sensitive.

I find Spaces to be 10 times (9 times?) easier than manually "hiding apps".
Need to get to Terminal? Click it in the Dock and everything else disappears.
Yeah, it is animated. Not so much so however that i'd start a thread about it.

Me like.
-HI-

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
That must be possible somehow!
I've been looking since August and have combed through the .prefs to see if I can find where I can change it. I don't think it exists.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...spaces-faster/

ImpulseResponse

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2008, 10:13 PM

also, since I use a logitech mouse I dedicate the middle wheel click to open spaces. I looooooove this
Bow chicka bow-wow

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2008, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
9 spaces here; only 4 dedicated now. (the rest are for future expansion. I just like the 3 X 3 square).

Space 1: main space (Safari, TextEdit, and a bunch of other apps as needed); Space 2: Terminal;
Space 4: Apple's Dictionary (great Wikipedia search interface it is); Space 5: Activity Monitor and
Console. (sometimes i push some window into an unused space to hide it till later, whatever).
  • "screen flying all over the place" ???
Guess i'm just not that sensitive.

I find Spaces to be 10 times (9 times?) easier than manually "hiding apps".
Need to get to Terminal? Click it in the Dock and everything else disappears.
Yeah, it is animated. Not so much so however that i'd start a thread about it.

Me like.
hear u, and glad for u
probably why i started this thread, and not you...

my mac just feels less 'gimmicky' than before, and switching between apps seems calmer...

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 9, 2008, 12:07 AM

My one complaint about Spaces is the ability to change the wallpaper for separate Spaces. Although having the same wallpaper for each Space makes everything a little more streamline.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
My one complaint about Spaces is the ability to change the wallpaper for separate Spaces.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/29876/spacesuit

I hate spaces.

ibook_steve
Dec 9, 2008, 12:42 AM

Well, since this is turning into a Spaces slam/love fest, I'll state my problem with Spaces.

This should be a commandment: Thou shalt *never* switch Spaces without *some* type of user input or setting.

In other words, there should never be any situation whatsoever where the computer automatically switches to a different space unless you specifically tell it to in some way.

I affectionately refer to the manifestation of this problem as "Spaces Pong" where Spaces ping pongs back and forth between the space I want to be on and the space the computer thinks I need to be on, usually a space where I've assigned a particular program. Some programs cause this more often than others (...cough...cough...Microsoft Office...cough...Parallels...cough...), but it should never happen.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2008, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
thanks Im gonnna try this
Bow chicka bow-wow

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 9, 2008, 01:24 AM

I absolutely hate "Spaces Pong" as you put it. And it's true that Microsoft Office, at least for me, causes this a lot. I am going to try this Space Suit, thanks!

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2008, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by @pplejaxkz View Post
I absolutely hate "Spaces Pong" as you put it. And it's true that Microsoft Office, at least for me, causes this a lot. I am going to try this Space Suit, thanks!
yeah it does happen with M$ office and parallels but I try to keep them in one space and not move arount too much when working
Bow chicka bow-wow

ibook_steve
Dec 9, 2008, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by thechidz View Post
yeah it does happen with M$ office and parallels but I try to keep them in one space and not move arount too much when working
And that's the problem. You shouldn't have to adjust the way you want to work because of a "feature" in the OS not working quite right with certain apps. Hopefully Snow Leopard or something else will improve Spaces.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
W
I affectionately refer to the manifestation of this problem as "Spaces Pong" where Spaces ping pongs back and forth between the space I want to be on and the space the computer thinks I need to be on, usually a space where I've assigned a particular program. Some programs cause this more often than others (...cough...cough...Microsoft Office...cough...Parallels...cough...), but it should never happen.

Steve
I agree, I've incurred this space pong myself and it can be frustrating. As I mentioned, I do like to use spaces but it isn't problem free.
~Mike

stwf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2008, 01:49 PM

I used to use Desktop manager, a Spaces for OS 10.4 and I loved it, but Spaces has left out a number of features and I find it useless.
Everyone here who likes it uses it to partition apps, each app gets its own space.
If thats how you like to work its fine. But I want to partition each space by task.

So one partition for personal stuff, another for Application development and a third for Web Development. The point here is that I need FireFox in each of these Spaces. I don't want Spaces to bang around when I bring up FireFox. I also want my IM contacts in each space. And be able to email from any Space.

More useful would be allowing for different Docks in each space, since the 'most used' apps differ by Task. Also different Desktop Picture for each task to help me stay on task and easily remind me what I should be doing.

DTM also let me set one Space for Parallels and one Space just for Screen Sharing. It would also remember all of tehse things each time I rebooted. Setting it up takes forever, if I have to do it each time I lose the productivity advantage.

I believe some third party hacks can enable some of my wishes, but I haven't gotten around to trying them as I need stability above all. I just wish Spaces had some more features, as it is its useless to me.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2008, 02:35 PM

I'm always changing my mind with Spaces. Turn it on for a few weeks, then turn it off for a few. It works great if you're using multiple windows in a Space to work on one project but I don't often find myself doing that. If I could activate both Exposé and Spaces with a single key, I'd be much happier.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by stwf View Post
The point here is that I need FireFox in each of these Spaces.
It's not clear from your description what exactly that means.
Do you want a different Firefox window (website) in each space?...
or the same exact Firefox window in every space? If the latter,
did you remember to explicitly assign Firefox to "Every Space"?

I don't want Spaces to bang around when I bring up FireFox.
How did you "bring up" FireFox? And -- if the answer to my first question was *different* Firefox window -- then: what would you have expected to happen? If Firefox has different windows in several Spaces, then (naturally) clicking the Dock or using command-tab cannot result in unequivocal predictable behavior. In such cases, typing control-space#number is a far more logical choice for switching around. That, or the exposé-like space switcher.

I also want my IM contacts in each space. And be able to email from any Space.
Sounds to me like you forgot to assign your web apps to *Every* space.
If not explicitly set, then apps get joined with whatever space they're opened into.

More useful would be allowing for different Docks in each space, since the 'most used' apps differ by Task.
Sounds like a job for DragThing. [EDIT: (hmmm wait... maybe not yet)]

Also different Desktop Picture for each task to help me stay on task and easily remind me what I should be doing.
While I agree that different desktops would be *cool* (and thus desirable) -- the 'need' for it shouldn't exist. That's almost like someone 'needing' to look at the menubar to remember what app they're using... it would only become necessary when no windows were open (or active).

I just wish Spaces had some more features, as it is its useless to me.
Well i certainly agree that Spaces is by no means perfect. Improvements and added features would be welcome. "Useless" however is a misplaced exaggeration. Over half of all complaints I've read in the past year are clearly caused by improper usage and/or inappropriate expectations. Yes, there are bugs... and so far the "Spaces Pong" is the one real one mentioned here (though i think Microsoft deserves most of the credit there).

--

If you want to see Spaces really freak out, open a sheet... such as Safari's cookie list (with Safari assigned to one specific space), and then switch to some app assigned another space. Now, try going back to Safari and close the cookie list. (there might be more settings needed... i'll check and post back). When that mode of fail kicks in, you'll go nuts. [every attempt to close the cookie sheet move you away to another space... total craziness.]
( Last edited by Hal Itosis; Dec 9, 2008 at 06:20 PM. )
-HI-

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2008, 08:29 PM

and yet... (as the original poster, am having 'second' thoughts).

one of my main uses for my mac is music, running logic rewired (sync'd) to reason... so i'm switching back & forth a lot between those two apps.

i'm gonna try having TWO spaces; the main one for almost everything, but when i run logic & reason (btw i love saying that), will set each app for one space, so easy to go back & forth. but JUST for that one use, otherwise, am staying on one space...
( Last edited by fisherKing; Dec 11, 2008 at 07:21 AM. )

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
and yet... (as the original poster, am having 'second' thoughts).

one of my main uses for my mac is music, running logic rewired (sync'd) to reason... so i'm switching back & forth a lot between those two apps.

i'm gonna try having TWO spaces; the main one for almost everything, but when i run logic & reason (btw i love the way that sounds), will set each app for one space, so easy to go back & forth. but JUST for that use, otherwise, am staying on one space...
sounds like a plan!
Bow chicka bow-wow

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2008, 12:10 AM

I'm with the "I tried it, but I went back to my old ways" crowd. I just don't see enough advantage, I'm used to having everything stacked and I seem to work more efficient that way.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 8, 2009, 07:14 PM

I can't get used to Spaces. It does not do what I want it to. My preference would be for a space for one project, another one for another project. This would mean that I can have one window for Pages open in each, for example. This is not allowed. Moving one window brings all other windows for that application with it. Until I can use it in this way I will keep it switched off.

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2009, 07:24 PM

yeah, i went to using 2 spaces for 2 apps that i switch back & forth between...but killed it.
just a simpler, calmer experience without it (for me anyway)...

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2009, 12:15 AM

I'm not sure how this happened, but a couple of days ago, my spaces changed, and went straight from one to the other, without any animation between spaces. Like I said I don't know what caused this, and I actually prefer the slight transition, but it was there.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2009, 12:32 AM

Yeah, I think thats a 10.5.6 bug, because I've seen it too. You can get animation back by going into the view all spaces mode (I have it set to F8, mileage may vary.) once you go back to regular desktop, animation is restored.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I can't get used to Spaces. It does not do what I want it to. My preference would be for a space for one project, another one for another project. This would mean that I can have one window for Pages open in each, for example. This is not allowed. Moving one window brings all other windows for that application with it. Until I can use it in this way I will keep it switched off.
It took me a while to figure this out, but here's what you do -- set keyboard shortcuts for the spaces -- I use control+1, control+2, etc. Then, when you want to move ONE document to another space, Click and hold on the title bar of the document and invoke the keyboard shortcut for the space you want to move to. Only that doc will go with you.

When I figured this out, it made spaces much more useful for me. I use it at work all the time, but not so much at home, since I don't have to multi-task at home. At work, I'll have space 1 with my ink formula spreadsheet & iTunes, space 2 for email & a Finder window to drop files into or out of, when emailing back & forth with clients, space 3 for art apps -- Illustrator, Photoshop, inDesign, with a Finder window to the current month's work on the right display (where I throw all my palettes) & a 4th window for web browsers.

The only thing I'd change about Spaces would be the ability to have different desktop pictures in different spaces, and perhaps some different transitions. The whooshing frm one space to the next is getting old. A fade out/in would really be nice. I get dizzy sometimes with all the whooshing.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Sorry if I seem redundant, but I just noticed a checkbox in prefs that might also help you -- System Preferences>Expose & Spaces> Spaces tab -- at the bottom of the window uncheck the checkbox that says "When switching to an application, switch to a space with open widows for the application."

That way, you could move to another space, then open a document via "open recent..." or dragging and dropping from the Finder to the dock icon for the app.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
It took me a while to figure this out, but here's what you do -- set keyboard shortcuts for the spaces -- I use control+1, control+2, etc. Then, when you want to move ONE document to another space, Click and hold on the title bar of the document and invoke the keyboard shortcut for the space you want to move to. Only that doc will go with you.
Thanks. That is great. Shame they made it behave this way. Dragging the document window makes it carry the other windows of that application but Ctrl-Number does not. Seems rather counterintuitive. Checking the box you mentioned doesn't make it any better unfortunately.

I think I'll leave Spaces switched off for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules