Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Track Pad Tapping in Windows

Track Pad Tapping in Windows
headhog70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2008, 04:45 PM

I just installed Windows XP on my MacBook Pro (not the new MacBook Pro) using Bootcamp. I noticed I could not tap the track pad for a left mouse click. Apple Care had no solution to this. The track pad works for positioning the cursor and you can right click by placing two fingers on the track pad and then pressing the button below the track pad. But no left mouse button click by tapping.

Is this the way the track pad works in windows xp using Bootcamp?
( Last edited by headhog70; Oct 28, 2008 at 07:38 PM. )

MartiNZ
Senior User
Oct 28, 2008, 05:16 PM

Mine works fine with left-click. I have only used it with Vista, but can't imagine that this would be meant to be the case in XP. Maybe try reinstalling the boot camp drivers? Although from memory, the trackpad is one of those things that works even before doing that.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2008, 11:02 PM

Maybe you mean right click?
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 03:00 AM

I'm pretty sure that tap-to-click is not a part of the Boot Camp drivers. I know I can't on my MacBook (white), in Vista or in XP.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

headhog70  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2008, 09:49 PM

I have a macbook pro running XP. Tapping the track pad does not work.

I just talked with apple support for 45 minutes on the tapping issue. Their answer was...

get ready for this....

I have to request support from Microsoft on the issue of the incompatible driver for the track pad.

I'm going to contact Microsoft for the fun of it and see how hard they laugh about this.

Bob
Pulaski, va

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Dec 9, 2008, 10:40 PM

I believe that there was a software update that fixed this problem. A customer came into the store the other day with this issue and he said that it fixed itself after he installed all of his updates.

Forum Links
Forum Rules