Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Need help disengaging cloaking device

Need help disengaging cloaking device
davidflas
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2009, 04:35 PM

I know there are quite a few car guys on these boards, so I'm hoping you can help. I have a white 2008 Honda Civic Si Coupe which I've had for about a year. The trouble is: I can't figure out how to turn off the cloaking device while I'm driving. I can tell that it's still on because just about every time I drive, people pull out in front of me, etc... so it is obvious that they can't see my car. I can't find anything in my owner's manual, please help!!!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2009, 04:46 PM

Cloaking devices aren't real.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2009, 04:47 PM

That's what you get for not buying a honking big 4x4.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2009, 04:53 PM

Check your owner's manual for a section on reversing the transmission polarity.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Check your owner's manual for a section on reversing the transmission polarity.
Thank you for the quick reply, I'll give it a try!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2009, 05:32 PM

Tootle your horn with vigor.

hayesk
Jun 28, 2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Cloaking devices aren't real.

Oooo... Look who knows so much! Well then, Mr. Smartypants, perhaps you'd care to explain why I can't raise shields.

iM@k
Senior User
Jun 28, 2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Ah, you must be Japanese then.

For those of you not in on the Joke:

Japanese traffic regulations translated for the benefit of English-speaking drivers:

"When a passenger of the foot heave in sight, tootle the horn, trumpet at him melodiously at first, but if he still obstacles your passage, tootle him with vigor, express by mouth the warning Hi, hi! Beware the wandering horse that he shall not take fright as you pass him by. Do not explode the exhaust box at him. Go soothingly by. Give big space to the festive dog that shall sport in the roadway. Go soothingly in the grease-mud as there lurks the skid-demon. Avoid the tanglement of the dog with your wheel spokes. Press the braking of the foot as you round the corner to save collapse and tie-up."
What, me worry?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 28, 2009, 08:03 PM

You just need to change the tires.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2009, 08:16 PM

It's apparently something to do with white Civics. I had a 2002 Civic LX Coupe, and it was completely invisible as well. The car I traded in on it, a green Civic LX hatchback, was quite visible and I never had that sort of problem with it, nor with my newest car, a Civic EX sedan. Pattern of car purchase? Why yes, I suppose there is...

But my white Civic was so completely invisible that I had a number of near-misses that scared the stuff out of me. And it was not me-my wife commented on it after driving it shortly after we bought it and before I'd mentioned it to her.

As for "tootling the horn," the one thing I don't like about any of my Civics has been the horns. My Silverwing motorcycle had a significantly more robust horn-it sounded like a BMW 5-series horn. If I were the tinkering type, AND I wanted to mess in the space between fender and wheel well liner, I'd mount a semi-tractor "disruptor" type horn and make the negligent drivers around me suddenly need new underwear... Enhancing the horn would be a Very Good Thing...
( Last edited by ghporter; Jun 28, 2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Corrected name of motorcycle model...)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2009, 09:04 PM

The solution is an easy one: Just transfer all energy from point A to point B. In rare occasions the deflector shield is involved.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It's apparently something to do with white Civics. I had a 2002 Civic LX Coupe, and it was completely invisible as well. The car I traded in on it, a green Civic LX hatchback, was quite visible and I never had that sort of problem with it, nor with my newest car, a Civic EX sedan. Pattern of car purchase? Why yes, I suppose there is...

But my white Civic was so completely invisible that I had a number of near-misses that scared the stuff out of me. And it was not me-my wife commented on it after driving it shortly after we bought it and before I'd mentioned it to her.

As for "tootling the horn," the one thing I don't like about any of my Civics has been the horns. My Goldwing motorcycle had a significantly more robust horn-it sounded like a BMW 5-series horn. If I were the tinkering type, AND I wanted to mess in the space between fender and wheel well liner, I'd mount a semi-tractor "disruptor" type horn and make the negligent drivers around me suddenly need new underwear... Enhancing the horn would be a Very Good Thing...

At last a real response... I will consider my color choice more carefully next time I purchase a car. As it is I have a year-old car with < 7000 miles on it, so it has some life left in it. Other than its apparent invisibility, I love my Civic. It has a good fun to drive vs. fuel economy balance.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
You just need to change the tires.

Thank you for the tip, to me detriment I neglected to select the "tractor tires" option when I was buying my Civic.
( Last edited by davidflas; Jun 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM. )

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2009, 09:37 PM

You need to change your muffler bearings. Also, check your headlamp fluid level, if it's low, it can affect the cloaking device.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2009, 09:48 PM

i see this all the time from honda drivers, its a common issue so don't be alarmed but the solution is simple...
It's your VTEC fluid, its low, just top it off...
( Last edited by klb5090; Jun 28, 2009 at 10:08 PM. )

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2009, 09:49 PM

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2009, 09:58 PM

Why aren't these maintenance tips in the manual? This is the kind of information that every Honda owner should have...

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by davidflas View Post
Why aren't these maintenance tips in the manual? This is the kind of information that every Honda owner should have...
Rule #1: You don't talk about Civic Club.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Rule #1: You don't talk about Civic Club.
That and it would cut into dealership service department income. Ya gotta go in to get that VTec fluid checked because the dipstick is under the framistan... Unless you have a framistan wrench, the dealership is the only way to get it done.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2009, 10:30 PM

That and it would cut into dealership service department income. Ya gotta go in to get that VTec fluid checked because the dipstick is under the framistan... Unless you have a framistan wrench, the dealership is the only way to get it done.

Clearly, I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought a Honda, secret societies, etc...

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 28, 2009, 10:39 PM

Oh, you don't already know the handshake? Uh oh. I've said too much already...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2009, 10:45 PM

My '91 Justy blew a cylinder, which makes it a two cylinder car...

So I bought a '93 Accord for $1200...

I guess I'm lucky it's not white.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 29, 2009, 12:13 AM

At last a real response... I will consider my color choice more carefully next time I purchase a car. As it is I have a year-old car with < 7000 miles on it, so it has some life left in it. Other than its apparent invisibility, I love my Civic. It has a good fun to drive vs. fuel economy balance.
Have you considered having it painted a different color? For a fraction of the price of a new car, you just might get to live many more years. I'll bet you never saw that fringe benefit mentioned at the paint shop. Nor the part about still being able to walk.

Now the hard part - what color(s) or patterns to go with? Greatly increased visibility could result in problems with the neighbors. Something about decreased property values.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 02:54 AM

What's a Honda?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Rumor
Jun 29, 2009, 03:50 AM

Disengage the flux capacitor.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 04:19 AM

My car is brilliant red - a red so red that it makes other reds look beige - red, of course, being the colour universally accepted as signifying stop or danger. Except in the Sydney suburb of Seven Hills apparently. Had to come to a rapid halt yesterday as some crazy woman pulled across the road right in front of (***BRIGHT RED CAR***) me while I was doing 80. Thank lucifer for the Golf's ESP and sticky tyres.

andi*pandi
Jun 29, 2009, 12:02 PM

Obviously david needs more bling on his car. Spinning hubcaps should assist in deflector shield capacity.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
- a red so red that it makes other reds look beige -
Quoted for posterity and awesomeness. I'd like to see that car. I'll bring a welding mask for protection.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 05:11 PM

You may be forced to downgrade to a car that is not equipped with a cloaking device. This one isn't even warp-capable:

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 05:15 PM

Quoted for posterity and awesomeness. I'd like to see that car. I'll bring a welding mask for protection.
I believe I know the red in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWLNPk2U1Io

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

finboy
Jun 29, 2009, 05:57 PM

I know there are quite a few car guys on these boards, so I'm hoping you can help. I have a white 2008 Honda Civic Si Coupe which I've had for about a year. The trouble is: I can't figure out how to turn off the cloaking device while I'm driving. I can tell that it's still on because just about every time I drive, people pull out in front of me, etc... so it is obvious that they can't see my car. I can't find anything in my owner's manual, please help!!!
Turn on the headlights. Millions of Swedes can't be wrong!

My '92 Civic (BRIGHT RED) got t-boned by a semi, so it must be a Civic thing.

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
Turn on the headlights. Millions of Swedes can't be wrong!

My '92 Civic (BRIGHT RED) got t-boned by a semi, so it must be a Civic thing.

My Civic, like other recent model Civics, has daytime running lights, so the headlights are on all the time. I've decided to tootle my horn with vigor, non-stop while driving.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 06:12 PM

If I were the tinkering type, AND I wanted to mess in the space between fender and wheel well liner, I'd mount a semi-tractor "disruptor" type horn and make the negligent drivers around me suddenly need new underwear... Enhancing the horn would be a Very Good Thing...
You're thinking too small...two words...

Train Horn.

I know someone that mounted one on their pickup and it made me s**t my pants from 200 yards away.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 2, 2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post

Train Horn.

I know someone that mounted one on their pickup and it made me s**t my pants from 200 yards away.
I actually want to continue moving forward while using this horn, so I'd stick with the semi-tractor horn. But for a larger vehicle, those HUGE things could part oceans. Of traffic. Very nice idea.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2009, 07:05 PM

I actually want to continue moving forward while using this horn, so I'd stick with the semi-tractor horn. But for a larger vehicle, those HUGE things could part oceans. Of traffic. Very nice idea.
You just need to mount it in reverse, will double the Honda's power as a benefit!

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 07:24 PM

So'wI' yIchu'Ha' !

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2009, 03:30 PM

Well? Did it work? Are you visible now?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 6, 2009, 03:35 PM

Train Horn.

Is that even legal ?

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 6, 2009, 03:40 PM

I know someone that mounted the loudest electric horn you can buy on a motorcycle. It requires its own connection to the battery and a 20 amp fuse. It can rattle windows (and brains).

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Is that even legal?
Doubtful. He had a big dualie and it was mounted stealth under the truck if I remember correctly.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

davidflas  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Well? Did it work? Are you visible now?
Yes, thank you, I knew that I should have brushed up on my Klingon before buying this car.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2009, 07:41 PM

Yes, thank you, I knew that I should have brushed up on my Klingon before buying this car.
Can you believe there are some people that actually took the time to learn Klingon?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 6, 2009, 08:25 PM

Can you believe there are some people that actually took the time to learn Klingon?
Yes indeed. I know a few. They spend tons of time engrossed in their hobby of "knowing everything about Star Trek." Sort of like some folks here. They spend tons of time engrossed in what "user X" says about "user Y's" grooming habits, and commenting on how "user Z" should give up on his job/relationship/car/haircut/cell phone and move on...

The Klingon language is interesting and well thought out, and while it doesn't have the years of development that any of Tolkien's languages do, it does have a lot more people behind inventing it. And there are indeed people who speek both Sindarin and Quenya. Why? Because they're fascinated by these languages and their "otherness."

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2009, 09:03 PM

Yes indeed. I know a few. They spend tons of time engrossed in their hobby of "knowing everything about Star Trek." Sort of like some folks here. They spend tons of time engrossed in what "user X" says about "user Y's" grooming habits, and commenting on how "user Z" should give up on his job/relationship/car/haircut/cell phone and move on...

The Klingon language is interesting and well thought out, and while it doesn't have the years of development that any of Tolkien's languages do, it does have a lot more people behind inventing it. And there are indeed people who speek both Sindarin and Quenya. Why? Because they're fascinated by these languages and their "otherness."
Is Tolkien's, Sindarin and Quenya from a different Sci Fi series?

Cipher13
Jul 7, 2009, 04:12 AM

Is Tolkien's, Sindarin and Quenya from a different Sci Fi series?
They're Elfish dialects.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 7, 2009, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
They're Elfish dialects.

^ Case in point.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 7, 2009, 07:53 AM

It's "Elvish," and they're very much different languages. They don't even sound alike.

Maybe these are trivial points to make, but that's what I do sometimes. And yes, "case in point," I do understand that this marks me as a nerd. That's fine though.

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone would not know enough about Tolkien to know that his work was never a "Sci Fi" series...

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2009, 09:27 AM

It's "Elvish," and they're very much different languages. They don't even sound alike.

Maybe these are trivial points to make, but that's what I do sometimes. And yes, "case in point," I do understand that this marks me as a nerd. That's fine though.

I'm still trying to figure out how anyone would not know enough about Tolkien to know that his work was never a "Sci Fi" series...
Perhaps it's a "syfy" series?

Cipher13
Jul 7, 2009, 09:40 AM

Trivial indeed given I was having a bit of a go.

I, long ago, knew some people that would argue over which term was correct... Elvish or Elfish, Dwarven or Dwarfen. Odd people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules