Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > how loud is a rev b 2ghz G5?

how loud is a rev b 2ghz G5?
flukewurm
Sep 24, 2004, 02:45 PM

im close to purchasing a refurb dualie 2ghz g5. the $1999 one. (thats the rev b - rite?)

anyways. i make computer music. from time to time i record live instruments. a quiet machine is a MUST. ive heard the rev bs are generally quieter than the rev as. is this true? if so. just how quiet? ive seen (and listened to) the dual g5 towers at the mac authority in nashville. but its kinda difficult to judge just how loud it was - with it being in a public store and everything. will i be forced to record my live instrumentation with my powerbook and transfer them over to my main machine for editing and mixing?

im pretty sure the imac g5 is out of the question.... i need a powerful machine. i run GOBS of softsynths and fx.

advice? personal experiences?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2004, 05:53 PM

My 970 DP 2.0 rev B is very quiet. I rarely hear the fans speed up. In fact, after installing 10.3.5 I don't think I've heard the fans speed up even once, but that may not be accurate. My G5 is on the floor, and the only way I can hear its whisper is to lower my head to its level and get about a foot away from it. As long as you're not right on top of it, you should not have any problem with noise.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

delete
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 09:33 PM

This machine is VERY quiet. I only have the fans rev when I do intense Photoshop things. For the most part I can't even tell it's on. (RevB Dual2.0)

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 10:22 PM

I have a Rev. A that was released about 2 months before the Rev. B's came out. I can say without any reservation that my Dual 2.0 GHz G5 is just as quite as the currently shipping G5's.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules