Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is this covered under iBook recall?

Is this covered under iBook recall?
Panzer
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2004, 09:15 AM

My iBook (G3/800/radeon mobility 7500) screen has started acting funny but I'm concerned that the issue is not part of the recall even though it does fit in under the serial number range.

Basically what's happening is sometimes when I adjust the screen angle the backlight turns off. Just goes dark. If you look closely you can still see a display, only it's just not lit, as if you turned your brightness down to 0. If it goes out the only ways to get it to turn back on are to put it to sleep/restart or attach an external monitor. You can't just lower and raise the brightness to get the light to turn on again. If you don't adjust the screen angle it will go all day without any issues. I think it may be a loose connection for the lcd that gets jiggled when I move the screen. But it won't do it consistantly...

Is this what the recall means when it says: 'Intermittent video image' ?
I have had none of the other symptoms, I'm just concerned that this is not a recall issue and want to know a little more before calling Apple.

Thanks for any insight!

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2004, 12:30 PM

Panzer: Unfortunately it sounds like you are having the problem with the pinched backlight cable, which is not covered under the logic board repair program. I had to pay US$300 to repair the problem out of warranty. Apple has so far refused to acknowledge a design defect with the backlight cable assembly.

Do a search in this forum for "iBook backlight." The following thread on the Apple Discussion boards has good information and links for a do-it-yourself fix (you can order the replacement part from Small Dog):

http://discusssearch.info.apple.com/[email protected]

Hope this helps.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by escher:
Panzer: ... Apple has so far refused to acknowledge a design defect with the backlight cable assembly.
It's the reed switch board assembly. I would agree with Apple that there is no design defect in the reed switch board assembly. I have seen plenty of iBooks where people have managed to break the display frame and this has *cause* problems. But otherwise, I would say there is no design defect here.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
It's the reed switch board assembly.
Of which the backlight cable is a part! Not everybody knows what the Reed Switch assembly is, especially not somebody who just discovered a problem, so I deliberately did not use the term. It's not because the Reed Switch is the part that you, as an Apple Technician, will replace that it will make sense to people who don't do this for a living.

I would agree with Apple that there is no design defect in the reed switch board assembly.
Detrius: So you are saying that it's perfectly normal for the iBook backlight cable to break after 16 months of normal use? Whatever... I guess you shouldn't bite the hand that (indirectly) feeds you, so I understand your position.

Bottom line: I learned my lesson and bought AppleCare for my 12-inch PB.

Escher

Panzer  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 12:06 PM

Hmm...DC and NC? I don't suppose either of you want to help out a neighbor in VA?
Well I suppose this is finally my excuse to setup a home theater or car pc with this thing. Also a good reason to buy a newer laptop (with apple care).
But thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the info.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Panzer:
My iBook (G3/800/radeon mobility 7500) screen has started acting funny but I'm concerned that the issue is not part of the recall even though it does fit in under the serial number range.

Basically what's happening is sometimes when I adjust the screen angle the backlight turns off. Just goes dark. If you look closely you can still see a display, only it's just not lit, as if you turned your brightness down to 0. If it goes out the only ways to get it to turn back on are to put it to sleep/restart or attach an external monitor. You can't just lower and raise the brightness to get the light to turn on again. If you don't adjust the screen angle it will go all day without any issues. I think it may be a loose connection for the lcd that gets jiggled when I move the screen. But it won't do it consistantly...

Is this what the recall means when it says: 'Intermittent video image' ?
I have had none of the other symptoms, I'm just concerned that this is not a recall issue and want to know a little more before calling Apple.

Thanks for any insight!
Mine did this for about a week, and as the week went on the backlight "dead zone" got wider, then the logic board fried.

Back up your iBook, right now. Then call Apple. I think this is exactly what they mean when they say "intermittent video image".

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by escher:

Detrius: So you are saying that it's perfectly normal for the iBook backlight cable to break after 16 months of normal use? Whatever... I guess you shouldn't bite the hand that (indirectly) feeds you, so I understand your position.

Bottom line: I learned my lesson and bought AppleCare for my 12-inch PB.

Escher

Look, it's just a cable. There is no "design defect" in a freaking normal cable. Perhaps there isn't enough room in the hinge, but that's not a design defect in the cable.

The hand that (indirectly) feeds me the most is the people that pay to have their computer fixed out of warranty and the people that pay to have me visit their homes. I'm far from loyal to the people that complain about a $50 repair, or the people that won't give me time to look at their computer that has an intermittent problem, or the people that think they should be a higher priority because their computer is in warranty.

I'm loyal to Apple because they make a good product. Yes, I do work full time fixing Macs. But you should see the frustrating stuff the PC techs have to go through.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Detrius:
ook, it's just a cable. There is no "design defect" in a freaking normal cable. Perhaps there isn't enough room in the hinge, but that's not a design defect in the cable.
Exactly, Detrius. The design defect is in the lacking room for the "freaking normal cable," which has broken for way too many iBook users. (Just check the thread on the Apple Discussion boards that I linked to above.)

I'm loyal to Apple because they make a good product.... you should see the frustrating stuff the PC techs have to go through.
Why do you think I bought a Wallstreet PowerBook after having to repair my PowerBook 520c's hinge twice (plus an third time after I got the Wallstreet)? Why do you think I later got a slower 2400c? And then the iBook? And now a 12-inch PowerBook?

I very much appreviate Apple's superior product, both in terms of hardware and OS. But I have also come to hold Apple to a higher standard.

Escher

Forum Links
Forum Rules