Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Ways to remove the Google search from safari

Ways to remove the Google search from safari
Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2006, 01:39 AM

I've recently found SafariStand which, among other useful things, allows me to search google by simply typing in 'g <search text>' into the address bar. I used to add this functionality with other apps, but ever since the new safari I have been unable to remove the google search box so I don't bother with other methods.

Recently, I've been playing around with modifying the look of applications by edditing their .nib files with interface builder.

Has anyone been able to remove the google search box from safari by editing the .nib files? I've been trying, but as I've learned, interface builder is extremely temperamental. I sometimes have to try to do the same thing many times before interface builder does it right, and the undo function in it doesn't work well at all.

Anyway, I would really love to remove this and I believe many minimalistic lovers would too. I know you can set the address field to be 'mini' in interface builder which would look really awesome if it could take up the entire width of the window.

joelb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 03:21 AM

Double click the safari nib google area in interface builder - you need to remove the bottom layer

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2006, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by joelb
Double click the safari nib google area in interface builder - you need to remove the bottom layer
If I'm doing what I think you're saying, safari refuses to open any windows after I've done this. Have you tried this out?

joelb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 11:16 PM

Oops. I forgot to mention you need to edit ToolbarItems.nib
This is what it looks like on my end.
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7576/picture10wa.png

Syzygy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2006, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by joelb
Oops. I forgot to mention you need to edit ToolbarItems.nib
This is what it looks like on my end.