Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Major iPod problems, need help getting songs onto my harddive

Major iPod problems, need help getting songs onto my harddive
Abit667
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 03:45 AM

No, I'm not trying to steal music or anything, I just need to be able to get all the songs off my iPod and back onto my harddrive.

Before I went to college I had a network server setup with a large disc sharing all my music. I used iTunes and just had that entire thing in the library, and it worked without a problem. Then when I left for college I brought my iBook and my iPod, except because my ibooks hd cant fit all my songs I just dumped them onto my 20gig 4th gen ipod thinking I could rip them off later because I had done it before for a couple songs. Well, now I got an external hd enclosure for one of my hds and I need to get my songs back onto there so I can use iTunes properly, like be able to share stuff, burn cds, and not have the ipod plugged in all the time.

The problem is, I can't rip everything off the iPod. I've tried quite a few programs, the best looking one being iPodRip. Every single program works ok for a couple hundred songs but then will randomly get stuck on one song. Either the program will crash, or it will just hang on one song and not move on. They all seem to get stuck on different songs and the songs play fine on the iPod so I don't think theres anything wrong with them. Furthermore, iTunes has stopped reading my iPod and says I should reset it.

I am absolutly disgusted with this entire situation, and it's critical that I get my music back...a lot of it is original or live shows and such, stuff I really can't get again or buy.

Are there any other programs you guys have tried that might work better, although they all seem to do the EXACT same thing for transfering songs..

Is there something on Linux or Windows that would work better?

Parky
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 12:33 PM

Where did you get the music from in the first place?

Is it all legal or from CD's if it is you could re-rip it.

Other than that, try doing a few at a time rather than the whole iPod, it will not take longer, it will just need your intervention.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 04:09 PM

first off, try disk utility orr disk warrior with your ipod, that might get it working enough to have itunes working with it again.

then after that, get either tinkertool or cocktail and amke invisible files/folders visible...
then go to the root of the iPod and find a folder called (something like) iPod_control, and in there is a folder called music... its all in there.

try moving it from the ipod directly to the new HD. is the new HD firewire? how do you plan to do this with the iBook (there is only one firewire port on it...)

try that, and i DO know exactly what you mean about the programs stalling once they get to a certain song, i tried to use iPodRip to get songs off of my iPod directly to my Girlfriends dell that was a network mount. didnt work... ever. it just killed the dell every-time i tried to do it.

good luck. if nothing else, do it in small pieces...

Abit667  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 04:17 PM

Well I sort of figured it out, and got most of my music back, it just took FOREVER.

I made hidden files visible and then had to go through all 50 folders filled with the songs all in random order. The reason why things weren't copying was because every once in a while there would be a file that was corrupted or something. It plays on the iPod, but it wont copy at all and causes the iPod to freeze up and stuff. There were about 400 songs on the entire thing like this. So I ended up having to go through the tediousness of transferring a couple at a time and then having to kill everything when I got a bad file and then start again. I was up all night doing this, it really sucked.

The hd is usb 2.0, it's not the problem though. It was just a few specific files on the ipod that seemed to crash everything and lock up the ipod no matter what you tried to do with them.

Yeah its my own fault for keeping stuff on the ipod when you arn't supposed to be able to copy stuff off of it, but I'm still pretty pissed that I lost like 400 songs and a bunch of stuff is incomplete now.

Abit667  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 04:23 PM

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the best part. When I had got the iPod I had to ID3 tag all my songs, since most of them hadn't been ripped with iTunes and I never used ID3 tags before.

Well now that I've copied all my songs back, a lot of my id3 tags are gone. I can't even explain how this is possible because the iPod uses them exclusivly...it wasn't like this on the ipod.

It took me about 6 hours to tag everything before, and that was when I could do a lot them by the folders they were in. This should be a lot of fun when they are all just grouped in one giant cluster with the scrambled incomplete file name the ipod gave all my songs.

It get's even worse now that I'm trying to play them in iTunes. About half the songs just dont play..they are only the first couple seconds. repeating over and over. The weirdest thing...a lot of the other songs have other songs randomly in them...like they are just spliced together.

I'm selling my iPod and my iBook. It's been a while since I've used pcs and junk but I'm never dealing with this again.
( Last edited by Abit667; Sep 30, 2004 at 05:02 PM. )

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2004, 06:40 PM

dont steal music

Forum Links
Forum Rules